PDA

View Full Version : Over Heating Z400

05-31-2002, 11:52 AM
what kind of coolant should i put in my Z? it is running really hott. i have tried everything cruise down the road to open her up and grabing
the clutch to coast and turn it off to cool it down. and that doesnt work either.. i have correct amount of oil but i seem to keep feeling my
radar tank up though it goes through like gas i have had this quad fpr 2 weeks now so it should be broken in. you think i should take it to the
dealer or would they even try to fix it? also i seen some gas under it this morning but i couldnt find where it was coming from.

any help would be appreiated ..

05-31-2002, 12:07 PM
I'd be taken that badboy back to the dealer immediatly. :blah

Razorback
05-31-2002, 12:15 PM
you might try going to the forums at www.atvconnection.com and visit the suzuki forum. they might be able to answer your question better or someone else may have had the same problem...

DESDAK4
05-31-2002, 12:18 PM
Take it back to the dealer, that is why they have warranties.

Texan32
05-31-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by z400
i have tried everything cruise down the road to open her up and grabing
the clutch to coast and turn it off to cool it down.

BIG NO NO!!!!!! There is a water pump in there that operates off the crankshaft. If you kill the motor, then coolant WILL NOT circulate! I don't really have any idea on how to solve your problem, but i do know that killing the motor will only make it heat up more before begins to cool down...FYI

RideRed04
05-31-2002, 12:27 PM
You came to a forum where almost everyone has air cooled quads with this question? lol. I have heard that the z runs hot. I would also take it to the dealer.

oynot400
05-31-2002, 12:49 PM
Didn't I read that those Z's have a thermostat in them and a fan? If so that could be stuck closed or the fuse is blown to the fan. I would take it back to the dealer.

freakystone
05-31-2002, 12:52 PM
Does your fan run when it is off or on. I've ran mine on tight, slow technical trails and the fan kicks on and off, but the hot temp light doesnt come on. It came on once when I she her off but the fan kicked on and cooled it down in no time.

Run her at about half throttle in 3rd or so at low rpm.

05-31-2002, 01:07 PM
You could also try putting some Honda stickers on it,,that will probably help it run better..:eek:

Sorry i had too..:o ;)

hash1250r
05-31-2002, 01:18 PM
Try using water wetter it will help it run cooler,It wont cool when you are just puttin around you need to open it up some.

Striker49
05-31-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Rico
You could also try putting some Honda stickers on it,,that will probably help it run better..:eek:

Sorry i had too..:o ;)

HAHA, your great Rico.

Take 'er to the dealer.

Nausty
05-31-2002, 02:04 PM
maybe air cooled really arn't so bad

yellowrider
06-01-2002, 08:14 AM
hey what you want to do is turn the kill switch off and leave the key in it on... and then pull in the clutch and go down teh road cause i used to do it to my scrambler but i have to put it in neutral and then push it a little bit then hop on and go down a huge black top hill while the key is on cause if it is over heating you fan should still be on if its hot.

how do you like it ?

Guy400
06-01-2002, 06:28 PM
We need some more info on ya here bub.
Where are you located? Do you live in Northern Canada and it seems to run hot or are you near Death Valley and the ambient air temp is 128 degrees?
Do you hear the fan coming on? Do you see the temp light coming on? If neither one of these is happening than I doubt you're truly running hot. It's doubtful that both the fan and the temp light are both not working correctly.

Without a temp gauge it's almost impossible to tell what the temperature the motor is really at. Just cause your legs feel hot doesn't necessarily mean the motor is overheated. Just the same, I'd take it back to the dealer and just verify that the fan works and make sure there's no problem.

Zero Z400
06-01-2002, 10:34 PM
well the fan isn't very necessary. Is ur coolant level good? R u wearing shorts while riding? Mine's fine so far, did u break it in for a long enough time. They say 10 hours under 1/2 throttle and don't keep a constant rpm. Also make sure ur letting it warm 3-5 minutes cuz if u start it and ride it till its warm i think something happen and ur coolants boils. I'm not sure but u never know. I would take it to the dealers and see if some idiot did something wrong.

Later

Zero Z400
06-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by z400
what kind of coolant should i put in my Z?.. Oh yeah, why do u even need change coolant? U should have plenty left and there is nothing wrong with what it comes with. But if u have to put new coolant in i use Dex-cool.

Later

R-Crazy
06-19-2002, 10:23 AM
hey, z400, what did u do in the end? U havent responded. I want to know.

dave

loganB
06-20-2002, 12:30 AM
Get it moving and let it go over a realy high clif. Or you could retern it and spend your monye on your 400ex.:devil

Scott
06-20-2002, 06:50 AM
Look at this guy's name and post count. This was a BS post from a phantom person. Ignore it or try to get a mod to delete it.

07-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Scott you are a Jerk!
i said nothing to you nor about your 400ex so dont even go there ...

unlike some people i cant come here every day.. I do have a life

it was something wrong with the head... it was way over my head what they was talking about but it was fixed for free..

i sold it to my friend for the same price i paid for it and he is not having any trouble with it.. but he busted the front shocks cause he noised dived lol

anyways he is ok and the bike is still runing..

sorry it took so long to get back.. i let you know what 4 wh eeler i will get next

Scott you had no reason to Flame me !! keep all of your comments to yourself..

thanks for all the people who tried to help i just took it to the dealer and droped it off for about a week and they fixed it and i rode it for 3 days then sold it..

07-09-2002, 02:51 PM
how about a honda now

Sleeping Catfish
07-09-2002, 04:32 PM
make sure you mixed the antifreeze with water. sport quads run hotter than utility so there may not be anything wrong. at first i thought my cannibal was over heating but cannondale told me it was supposed to be that hot.

07-15-2002, 05:48 PM
well i finally got off my lazy butt and bought a kaw 650

that thing is pretty nice.. i recommend that over the griz or the polaris 700

07-16-2002, 07:38 PM
if you dont like the temp., get an ex cam :D

VooDuu Child
07-17-2002, 11:06 AM
I've yet to have a single problem with my Z, except maybe not enough hours in the day to ride, face hurts from smiling, dreaming about riding, etc.

Sparky416ex
07-20-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I'd be taken that badboy back to the dealer immediatly. :blah

Problem fixed!!

yellowrider
07-22-2002, 07:56 AM
hey man i love those kaw 650 they are bad ***** i wish i could afford one of those..

07-25-2002, 11:28 PM
sorry but i have to say this

people are always sayng how the ol 400 is so outdated not being liquid colled and all that bull and now here comes the all mighty z-400 raptor eater with liquid cooling and a fan and all this crap, and its overheating. i mean i think its cool that atv's engines are evolving but i dont like to have my quad set up like a car, with a fan and ****, i mean liquid cooling is ok but a fan i think is just retarded. i mean i bet its cool being able to change the engine mapping of your engine but to me its useless, its not what racing is all about for me.

i dont know if i sound like a total retard to you guys but i bet somebody must agree with me

New-400ex_guy
07-26-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by x20 400ex 02x
sorry but i have to say this

people are always sayng how the ol 400 is so outdated not being liquid colled and all that bull and now here comes the all mighty z-400 raptor eater with liquid cooling and a fan and all this crap, and its overheating. i mean i think its cool that atv's engines are evolving but i dont like to have my quad set up like a car, with a fan and ****, i mean liquid cooling is ok but a fan i think is just retarded. i mean i bet its cool being able to change the engine mapping of your engine but to me its useless, its not what racing is all about for me.

i dont know if i sound like a total retard to you guys but i bet somebody must agree with me

lmao, your not a total retard but why wouldnt you want a fan and liquid cooling:confused: :huh . cooler engine = no loss in hp and longer engine life. that guy was a fluke i havent heard of anyone else z400 overheating, mine doesnt

and engine remaping or fuel injection = no headaches from trying to get your jetting right, or striping those dam cheap *** brass screws :D

VooDuu Child
07-26-2002, 12:53 AM
2 Z household, no problems. Following that logic, we should all have old school vw's since there's no fan. I myself am cool w/that, I miss my trick 65 Bug. Back when bugs were bugs, beetles not allowed.
later

07-26-2002, 09:48 AM
but i think the engine should stay simple, they are so much easier to work on and u can focus more on ridng and racing the bike.

yeah thoise old vw rock, infact i am building a vw...... i fergot the name of it, but those engines are great. the engine had been sit ting around for years and during its vacation in the corner my friends grandpa had put a ripped bag of kitty litter, and ofcoarse all of the kitty litter got into the engine and gues what we got the frikken thing running in one day, we are soon to get the thing bored and will be rady to drop it into its nice red body,(its one of those cars that has a unichassy i think thats what its called, its when the body is the chassy and the chassy is the body

-ralph

VooDuu Child
07-26-2002, 12:36 PM
It sounds as if you've found either a squareback, fastback, or a notchback. If you find that you've found a notchback, NO NOT SELL IT. Just rebuild everything you can afford to do, AND DO IT RIGHT. The car will be worth it. Otherwise, just have fun with it. As for keeping motors simple, yeah, that's a good thing, sometimes, but I'd give up a little simplicity for some power any day, and I will never look back now, except to see how far ahead I'm. Have fun with your new to you VW.
later.