PDA

View Full Version : Rings Are Stuck!!!!

09-17-2001, 07:04 PM
I FOUND MY PROBLEM TODAY. MY RINGS ARE STUCK ON MY PISTON IT IS LIKE THEY ARE BONDED TO THE PISTON. I GOT THE TOP ONE OFF BUT CAN'T GET THE MIDDLE ONE OFF. I'M GONNA TAKE IT TO A MACHINE SHOP TOMORROW AND SEE IF THEY CAN GET IT OFF. I HAD NO COMPRESSION ALL BLOWING BY THE PISTON. I AM PROBALY SCREWED AND WILL HAVE TO DUMP ANOTHER $250 INTO ANOTHER PISTON. BUT I FIGURED I WOULD LET EVERYONE KNOW WHY MY 400 WOULD NOT START.:mad:

canadian400ex
09-17-2001, 07:12 PM
I hope your cylinder isn't screwed dude!

09-17-2001, 07:15 PM
Did you have the rings aligned properly on the alignment pins, and did you oil the piston, rings and sleeve when installing?
John

09-17-2001, 07:20 PM
MAN I OILED EVERYTHING. I PUT OIL IN THE CYLINDER ABOUT AN 1/2" DEEP TO LUBE EVERYTHING AND TURNED IT OVER BY HAND A COUPLE OF TIMES UNTILL THE OIL LEAKED DOWN INTO THE CRANK CASE. I HOPE MY CYLINDER ISN'T SCREWED EITHER. THE SIDE OF THE PISTON IS SCRATCHED ALL TO HELL THANK GOD IT NEVER CRANKED.:devil

Leo
09-17-2001, 07:26 PM
huh?

Was this a new piston you just installed?

I'd love to see some pic's if you could scrape some up..

Leo

09-17-2001, 07:29 PM
BRAND SPANKIN NEW FROM GT THUNDER IT'S A JE 12.5. DO YALL THINK IT IS A FACTORY DEFECT. WHAT DO YOU WANT PICS OF? I'LL SEE IF I CAN GET SOME.

inacoma91
09-17-2001, 07:33 PM
Yeah pics of the piston would be nice to see. Did it do anything to the walls of your motor??

Andrew

09-17-2001, 07:36 PM
I DON'T KNOW YET I TOOK THE PISTON OFF AND QUIT WITH IT BECAUSE I WAS TOO AGRIVATED. I HOPE THAT IT ISN'T.

09-17-2001, 07:43 PM
Once you got the rings into the cylinder, did it slide on home to the engine cases. Something had to come out of place, right size piston?
Did you check your ring gap by putting just the rings in the cylinder and measuring the gap?
John

Leo
09-17-2001, 08:00 PM
a brand new piston and the rings are stuck in the grooves....?

I'd be checking to make sure I had the correct rings in the correct grooves.. which rings are stuck? all of them (even the oil control rings?)..:huh

A pic of the side of the piston where the the rings are stuck would be great...

Leo

09-17-2001, 08:05 PM
THE TOP AND MIDDLE RINGS ARE STUCK. I GOT THE TOP ONE OUT BUT I CAN'T EVEN FIND THE GAP ON THE OTHER. IT'S A STOCK BORE JE 12.5 PISTON. THEY ARE ALL IN THE RIGHT GROOVE. I DON'T GET IT.???????????????????????????????????:confused:

86atc250r
09-18-2001, 04:32 AM
With the limited information in this post, it sounds to me like you allowed some foreign material into the engine which scratched the cylinder wall and pinched the rings.

oynot400
09-18-2001, 12:50 PM
Improper break-in could have had a part in this. :mad:

Leo
09-18-2001, 04:08 PM
I don't believe he ever actually got it to start after installing the piston :huh

Still dying to see some pics :)

Leo

09-18-2001, 07:02 PM
Sorry Leo the camera is on the blitz. I never started it but the only conclusion i have came to is that i sprayed the cylinder with wd-40 to clean it(read that on the net) and left some in there and that caused the rings to sieze to the piston. But i now have all the rings removed no damage to the cylinder and new rings will be here from JE on Thursday. Then i will see what this thing is gonna do. (hopefully) Is anyone else running a 12.5 stock bore piston and gt thunder cam? Hope i can beat a stock or piped raptor then!!! Thanks for everyones help in this matter!!!!!:D

MIKE400EX
09-19-2001, 07:32 AM
WD-40 alone won't make the rings freeze up in the piston. When you get it apart take the rings off, put them squarely in the cylinder and check for proper end gap. Chances are they were meant to be fitted and were purposely long or they just mistakingly sent you a set of rings for an even larger overbore. Let us know!:( (P.S. Next time rub/put some good non-synthetic motor oil on the piston OD, rings, piston pin & bearing and cylinder walls before assembling. ATF also makes a very good cleaner for freshly bored & honed cylinder walls - keep cleaning the cylinder 'til the rag stays clean.)