View Full Version : 05 400ex , what mods can i do?

o645oRider
07-14-2005, 01:37 PM
ok, just got me a 2005 400ex.

I am planning on keeping the motor stock, not going to big bore it at all or anything like that.

my question is, with that in mind, what performance parts can i add to it to make it quick still. Im looking for fairly easy mods, that will work well with the stock motor.

i know im going to get a full exhaust eventualy, i only have a slip on DG right now.

but what can i add that will make a difference, and what order would you do them in.......

thanks

taylor

MR.BIG
07-14-2005, 04:12 PM
full exhaust remove the airbox lid and rejet. That will make a nice gain in power over stock!

400exc
07-14-2005, 04:28 PM
k&n filter with outerwears, it makes the 400 scream!

cals400ex
07-14-2005, 05:05 PM
the best bet on this motor is a stock bore higher compression piston and a nice drop in camshaft. you can get all of this done for near $300. this includes gaskets, piston, cam, etc. if you have a service manual and the tools, it isn't that hard. the gains you get will be fantastic compared to all the little things you will do, that mainly just add up in costs. a good full pipe would fit this combination really well.

o645oRider
07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
i auctually thought about installing a new cam......hot cams i believe it is.....

how hard is this to do, must i pull the motor to do it?

any further install instructions

taylor

2004exrider
07-14-2005, 08:16 PM
its not really hard to do, no u dont have to take the motor out. just get a service manual to make sure you do everything rite. you pretty much pull the plastics and gas tank off and youll see the top of the motor. once you take it off youll see the cam. but theres a lot to it, you gotta adjust the tensioner, the valves, and properly torque the bolts (a lot to it thats where the manual comes in).

cals400ex
07-15-2005, 12:53 AM
oh, no need to pull the motor. if you can change the cam, you can surely change the piston too. a service manual takes you though each and every step. the manual will help explain the cam timing to you. it may seem a little confusing at first but once you get it, its as easy as cleaning a K&N air filter....