PDA

View Full Version : Stock Carb Help PLEASE

Entomber
05-31-2002, 09:50 AM
I removed the carb and played with the needle postion. Now when I put it back and tighten the two screws that hold the plate that actually attaches to the slide when ya give it gas it stays stuck wide open. If I loosen them up a bit it's fine. However I want peice of mind when I ride this thing. Shouldn't they be tight? Last thing I want is to keep this thing WIDE open and then it doesn't close on me. :(

PsychoDave
05-31-2002, 10:44 AM
the needle is in wrong....or something is cathcing the slide....re- do it

BornOnFire
05-31-2002, 10:52 AM
Make sure the spring that attaches the throttle arm to the slide is lined up inside the grooves that hold it in place.

oynot400
05-31-2002, 12:36 PM
I had this problem on my stock carb. There was a burr on the little knotch in the carb housing that would catch on the slide. Just touch it up with a file and it was good to go!

Entomber
05-31-2002, 12:46 PM
Solved my problem. Apparentely the plastic plunger peice can be put on two ways. I just switched it around and it seemed to resolved the problem. I tightened them up and I was good to go. Still have a decelleration pop/backfire.. but I will ride like this for the weekend. Gotta get a K&N Jet Kit. I assume go with a bigger main jet. Idiot me I didn't bother to see what was in there now.

BornOnFire
05-31-2002, 01:56 PM
A popping or backfire on decelleration usually is indicative of a lean mix. Be careful when riding all weekend. If you are lean, you could overheat easily and cause extensive engine damage.

Entomber
05-31-2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the tip. What jet controls the lean condition on deacceleration. I'm going to order a K & N Jet kit this weekend.