PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint shaft size

Lethalhonda2
07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Does anyone make a Ball Joint that has a larger shaft than a 14 or 16mm?From what I've been told (Buguard and Nac's) this is a standard size. I was told to use a "old style" Leager Ball joint in my a-arm.I measured the inside diameter and its 18mm.Its for a lower a-arm and they are long travel also.

Dave400ex
07-13-2005, 10:18 PM
If these are for the new style Arens bottom arms, then you are suppose to use the new style laeger bottom ball joints.

Lethalhonda2
07-14-2005, 05:57 AM
Opps, yes I was told to use the new style Leager ball joint. I measured the upper ball joint that originally came with the setup and that ball joint is 16mm.If I try to put the upper in the lower a-arm there is way too much room, the ball joint moves all over the place!Plus the length of the shaft is too short,I can hardly get the nut on.

Dave400ex
07-14-2005, 06:19 PM
The upper and bottom ball joints are completely different. If you get the new style Laeger bottom joints they will work. I have been riding on mine for about 2 months now, no problems.

Laegers (http://www.laegerracing.com/products_frameset.htm) You can see the difference in the upper and bottom, you need Part #2195.

Lethalhonda2
07-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks Dave, those look like they would work.All of the new style leager ball joints that I've seen interlock with the a-arm.I actually ordered a set from Baldwin racing.Mark Baldwin was alot of help so hopefully the'll be the right ones.

Dave400ex
07-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Most of the a-arms do have notches where the Laeger's would slide in to stay in place, but with these you just have to take a cresent wrench and hold the ball joint level (flat) when tightening it up. These are a much better design then the first setup.

Lethalhonda2
07-16-2005, 04:40 PM
I should get the Ball joints next week so I'll let you know how I make out.You know I've been working on this thing for a year and a half!!!I just cant let it sit anymore.My practice bike wont take too many more races either.

Dave400ex
07-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Well hopefully you get it together without any problems. I know the a-arms really gave John a bad name, but he is very capable of making very nice parts. That Cobra mini is amazing...