PDA

View Full Version : HELP New Brakes Squeek ALL THE TIME!!

TN400EX
07-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Hey guys, help me out here...

I've installed a new rear rotor, new pads, bolts and retainer thing. Now the rear brakes squeek all the time. It's driving me NUTS!

Anyway the parts I've replaced with brand new parts are circled in red. Any idea what I've done wrong?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/suparice/1.jpg

bwamos
07-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Take the pads back off and put them on the opposite sides.

That will get the other edge to the leading side. The pads may be chattering. It will put the taper the other direction.

Also make sure they are nice and clean. They may squeak some until you get them seated.

TN400EX
07-14-2005, 08:49 AM
I've tried that already... It's not that they squeek when you are using the brakes, is that like the caliper isn't retreating away from the disc enough to pull the pad away so it seems that the pad is close enough that it's rubbing. And as you are rolling slowly it will squeek .... squeek.... squeek... like the rotor or something is not lined up properly and the pad will come in contact with it on a certain spot every rotation and issues a little squeek.

300exOH
07-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Sounds like you need to lube the pins that the caliper rides on. You could have a warped rotor also.

TN400EX
07-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Sounds like you need to lube the pins that the caliper rides on. You could have a warped rotor also.

Are you talking the two little pins in the picture circled in red? Or other ones?

300exOH
07-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by TN400EX
Are you talking the two little pins in the picture circled in red? Or other ones?

I'm pretty sure those are the ones. You can get lube at autozone that is specifically for lubing the sliders that the caliper rides on.

Also if you haven't removed the parking brake and replaced it with a block off plate I would recommend it. It tends to make the caliper hang up and wear pads much faster.

TN400EX
07-14-2005, 09:02 AM
It had a block off plate for the parking brake when I bought it. I'm not sure those pins need to be lubed, the manual said not to. Those are the pins that the pads ride on, I'm pretty sure the caliper is staionary and the pad is what slides. I just cant figure out why it's not returning.

:confused:

300exOH
07-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Every caliper I've ever messed with(mostly cars) rides on some kind of pin. Usually the piston pushes one pad from one side and pulls the caliper in to make the outer pad contact the rotor.

TN400EX
07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Cool, I'll take it apart again tonight and mess with it. You're probably dead on then, thanks! :cool:

300exOH
07-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by TN400EX
Cool, I'll take it apart again tonight and mess with it. You're probably dead on then, thanks! :cool:

Hope it works for you. I'd hate to be wrong but it happens.:eek2: Just make sure you use the right lube(not too much) and don't get it on the pads or rotor. Good luck.