PDA

View Full Version : Bent Subframe

NVR2L8
05-31-2002, 12:15 AM
I noticed today that my subframe is bent, and although I can't tell where it's tweaked, the left side (battery side) is about 3/8 of an inch lower than the right side. So I guess I'm now in the market for a new subframe, but before I decide which route to go, I was wondering what everyone else has bought to replace the stock unit. I know I can go the stock route and get one from Service Honda for about $125, as well as one from Lonestar for $370 :eek:. But since I'll probably go with an aluminum airbox to enclose the battery and other electrical stuff, I would really like a subframe similar in design to the Lonestar, just not one that costs an "arm and a leg". Does anyone know of any places that manufacture/sell subframes for a reasonable price?

05-31-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by NVR2L8
Does anyone know of any places that manufacture/sell subframes for a reasonable price?

LMAO,,,Oh that's funny NVR2L8. It's either stock or the best and the all the aftermarkets are expensive. None are cheap unfortunatly. 400ex subframes have been known to bend on the battery side,,due to the wieght of the batter always applying force on that side of the frame. If I was you just buy an aluminum airbox from one of the members out here to put your battery in and it won't bend anymore. Mines bent also so dont' feel bad but it's bent down about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...I'm leaving it as is until I wreck and destroy it..:eek:

knighttime
05-31-2002, 08:41 AM
almost all subframes are bent. I'm eventually gonna get a shiny aftermarket one. :D

NVR2L8
05-31-2002, 08:58 AM
Yea, I don't have a problem with mine being bent either, except that it makes everything else...rear plastic and seat...look crooked as well. Anyway, I think I bent it the last time I was at the dunes at Pismo--the wind had made a natural 15-foot or so lip-to-lip double and a group of us were hitting it until we messed up the face and started to come off of it at an angle. The last time I hit it I landed pretty hard on the left side. Oh well...that's probably when I tweaked my axle as well.

I was just hoping someone made a subframe in the $200 price range, but regardless I'm definitely going with an aluminum airbox and install the battery inside it. One subframe I'm seriously looking at is one made by TMM, but his looks more like a replacement for the factory version, and includes the battery and electrical mounting points. I might give them a call today and see if they offer another version.

exriderdude
05-31-2002, 09:16 AM
you should just ride until you break it or something:macho

ChadEXer
05-31-2002, 09:19 AM
My subframe is the very same way!!!!

Wired
05-31-2002, 10:54 AM
mine too, but it came like that so i cant say i did it :blah

NVR2L8
05-31-2002, 11:04 AM
Yea well, although my subframe probably still functions correctly, it looks funky/gay and therefore must be replaced. *LOL* The extra tweak it now has might also be contributing to my exhaust problems, particularly in that my Yoshi slip-on doesn't line up correctly with my Powerbomb. Having said that, I'm looking to see if I can get a Yoshi head pipe in time for our family camping/riding trip next week, and if it fits right with the slip-on, then my new Cermachromed Powerbomb will be up for sale.

05-31-2002, 11:23 AM
I took my subframe off and put it in the vise on my work bench and was able to staighten it a little,,maybe try that. And yeah I know what ya mean about funky/gay lookin mine kinda has that look too,,but only the competition sees the back of the quad anyway...:D

Tommy 17
05-31-2002, 12:33 PM
rico why did u bother to straighten it... noone sees the back of ur quad;) haha j.k

i think mines bent a tiny bit also i was riding a wheelie and set her down on a rock and i think i bent it up some... o well i will leave it be...

NacsRacing400
05-31-2002, 02:08 PM
I wouldnt worry about it. Mines bent to. i like the looks of those aluminum subframes by the company that leo is selling those airboxes from. I dont know how it would hold up but anything is stronger than stock.

DEAL
05-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Mines a little bent up , but that was like that when i bought it , its hardly noticable.

Dave400ex
05-31-2002, 05:00 PM
CFM Performance also makes a Subframe like the Lonestar. They even make the Airbox for the Battery. I want to do that same Setup, but nobody makes an Aftermarket Airbox with a Lid. If they did I would Buy one. Lonestar, CFM, TMM, and Laeger are the only Subframes I know of. I`m not sure if Laeger is still making Subframes. Good Luck.

airheadedduner
06-01-2002, 06:57 PM
The subframe is weak on the left side because the downtube is bent(stock) to make room for the battery. If you know a local fab. guy have him bend it back and then put in a strait downtube in place of the stock bent one. You will have to locate the battery into the airbox though. No one makes a cheap aftermarket subframe. I gonna have my dads friend make me an aluminum one.:D Will post pics when i get it later this summer.