PDA

View Full Version : ATVCCS East vs. West Shootout

GaryDavis
07-13-2005, 04:44 PM
The All Terrain Vehicle Cross Country Series (ATVCCS) had it’s own fireworks over the July4th holiday weekend in San Angelo, Texas. The temperature reached 105 degrees and most of the competitors arrived on Friday to find a shade to no avail. The track was a great combination of tight twisty sections tied together by tricky straights and a nice motocross track with plenty of dust for all. The talk in the pits was to watch out for the hidden rocks and mesquite stumps just off of the track and this all but eliminated the "trick" lines from appearing. These obstacles, with the dust thrown in, made the riders very nervous when it came time to attempt a pass.
Saturday’s Buddy Race consisted of nine teams and it had a new twist (panties for the guys)! Shawn Hess, Josh Hahne and I were assigned B riders as our partners and we elected for them to start for us. The green flag went up and if you were lucky so did the panties and you were off to the races. I have to admit that was as funny as a one legged man in a butt kickin’ contest. My partner and new bud Jeremy Neusch handed off to me (panties) in last place by six or so minutes and I didn’t know until we finished what all he had been through. He impressed me and can be my Buddy Race partner anytime.
The Women’s Buddy Race had eleven teams and in my opinion was the most fun race of the entire weekend! There was plenty of action from Denise Bain swapping atvs’s on the starting line to Gayle Culpepper coming into the swap area in first place riding a major nose wheelie, only to not have it in her plan book and crashing out! Then there was the frantic handoff from Culpepper to Porcha Knowlton and Bain to Lexie Coulter and the scene was set for some serious racing. These girls went all out but you come to expect it from them. I was proud of all of the women out there but what impressed me the most was the non racers in the contest. I have seen my share of ugly men with dirty faces (not me) after a race but these gals had a smile from ear to ear and acted like they liked it. Now, that’s what it’s all about . We need that type of race again soon.
Sunday morning I awoke to realize that my alligator mouth had overloaded my 47 year old hummingbird butt once again. You see I had told this 4-Stroke A and Lady A rider (can’t remember her name) that if I tried I could run somewhere close to the front in the Pro class. She remembered me saying it and once again advised me that I would be a "SLACKER" if I didn’t try. Well what happened next? I got lucky and grabbed the holeshot and this time Gerald Dowden only ran into me once (cool)! I kept looking back for Shawn and Chris, because this ship was in uncharted waters. When I finally realized that I had a chance to go through the scoring chute in first place then reality set in (Shawn). On the motocross track, Shawn proceeded to fly by me, being the # 1 guy that he is. Well, my bubble had been burst but I’m not a slacker (for one lap anyway) anymore, Lexie!
The afternoon race was going to be a scorcher for sure (see 105 degrees ). It was going to be very important to get a good start and all the other pre-race bright ideas we all come up with. Not the case for me and all the other old guys. The general consensus was just to survive out there and have I mentioned the dust? I would love to know how in the heck nineteen guys in the Open B can possibly stir up that much dust? It was much worse than my house. (I’m serious) On lap one my buddy Larry Gustine and I caught up to the Open B class but we had to come to a complete stop several times because we couldn’t tell which side of the mesquites to go on, you could see the bush but not the opening. The straight away that I felt like Superman on in the morning race became the highway to hell! Who dug all of those holes that I kept running through? I have never been more glad to see a white flag in all my life and the only thing better than it was the checkered flag. I almost forgot, to the guy that was waving the cold beer at me on lap four when I was out of water: that could be considered abuse of the elderly! Have a great summer everyone! PrimeTime has left the building!

1honda
07-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Well Gary I believe you said it right about the dust and the heat. I was probably one of the more nervous riders expecially after crashing the weekend before in the back section where all of the stumps and holes were, and that was without all the dust, imagine that. I must say that it was a great turnout considering the weather and being a holiday weekend, and even had several new riders join. I believe the series is heading in the right direction and i'm proud to say that my family and I are members of the ATVCCS. And hopefully we can ride as good as you do someday!:huh

Shawn Hess
07-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Gary, you are right about being nervous. I really don't know what causes it, but I still get pre-race jitters. I have been fortunate enough to race against the best of the best ( Bill Balance, Chris Borich, and Santo DeRisi) just to name a few you would think that after racing the best of the best that I could contain my-self. To top off my jitters just as all of the other Pros pulled up to the starting line, and the race was about to start my kick started clicked past the sweet spot as the flag dropped. I knew I had my work cut out for me since I spotted the rest of the Pros 20-30 seconds, and with the heat and the extreme amounts of dust I knew I had to devise a plan of attack. I started down the track and all that I could think about was wether or not to set a pace and pick off a few riders per lap, or do I try and make a hard charge to the front. My competitive spirit told me to make the charge. :devil: I began passing riders right and left and before I knew it I was running in second place. I started pressing even harder knowing that the lead was in my grasp. I rounded the corner out of the woods and came onto the motorcross track, and their was "Prime Time" Gary Davis. I quickly reeled him in and checked out for the win. He and the other pros put in a heck of a ride. What a Race!!!! :D Thanks everyone for coming out, and allowing ATVCCS to have another exciting race weekend.

papatay
07-14-2005, 06:46 PM
ya thanks for not starting. My R wanted to be just like yours and didn't start either. I gave the guys in the A class a good 10 sec. lead.:confused:

jshtex
07-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by papatay
ya thanks for not starting. My R wanted to be just like yours and didn't start either. I gave the guys in the A class a good 10 sec. lead.:confused:

Yeah Josh said to say thanks for the spot....

Actually there was an R that gave him a pretty good run for most of the race. A 250R :blah:

1honda
07-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by jshtex
Yeah Josh said to say thanks for the spot....

Actually there was an R that gave him a pretty good run for most of the race. A 250R :blah: Wasnt that a real thirsty 250r? Must have been the heat.

jshtex
07-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 1honda
Wasnt that a real thirsty 250r? Must have been the heat.

Yeah I told him after the race was over "just think how good you could have done if you didn't have to stop every 30 seconds for gas". I wonder why it uses so much gas?

He is really doing good, I told him that also after the race but he probably just thought I was just being nice. You guys must have him out practicing with your little gang huh?

Were not going to make the 12 hour so I guess we will see you in Sep.

1honda
07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by jshtex
Yeah I told him after the race was over "just think how good you could have done if you didn't have to stop every 30 seconds for gas". I wonder why it uses so much gas?

He is really doing good, I told him that also after the race but he probably just thought I was just being nice. You guys must have him out practicing with your little gang huh?

Were not going to make the 12 hour so I guess we will see you in Sep. I wish you guys could make it out for the twelve hour race but I understand how tough it is and how far it is to drive. yea, Corbin is a very talented rider but suprisingly he doesnt practice riding quads with us, the only time he rides a quad is at the races, all the other times he's on his motorcycle, which is all the time. I wish i could afford to help him get on newer four stroke like a 450r but its out of my budget just trying to keep everything running now with both girls and myself is almost impossible. But if a good deal could be found....
cant wait to see you in sept. thanks Gaylon