PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for my budget mx 250R project

tbyrd15
07-13-2005, 01:33 PM
I am wanting to get into mx racing. I have a 86 R that I am wanting to make race ready. I have a low budget (college), so I will proably be using mostly used parts, for ebay and places like that. I was going to use my stock frame also. Can anyone give me any help or suggestions on how to go about this project?

fast rusty
07-13-2005, 01:45 PM
do you want to do a ground up build or do you want something that is already built. if you want some thing with a little work done to it check news papers as well as motor cross tracks you usally can find a deal at them some times.just a few sugestions

bwamos
07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
He already has an R (i beleive from reading).

Thing he's looking at budget upgrades.

My inital reccomendation.. is research what you'd want if you had 2-3x the budget.. then do some e-bay hunting. ;)

tbyrd15
07-14-2005, 05:00 PM
should I go with +2 or +3 a-arms or should I try to get a 88-89 style swinger and go with +2 +1 or +3 +1? Also, if the a-arms are +2, does this mean that they 2in wider altogether or 2in wider on each side for a total of 4in wider total?

TheFontMaster
07-14-2005, 08:29 PM
When they refer to a arms as +2 or +3 etc, that many inches is added to each a arm. So a set of +2 a arms would add a total of 4 inches to the width of the front end. You would probably just want to go with the +2 a arms, so it is still a little trail friendly. Also a +2+4 axel A set of aftermarket shocks all around. Probably just some works. Yes it would be an improvement to get 1 inch forward a arms and an 88/89 style swingarm. But you will need to weld some new motor mounts on the frame, because you will no longer be able to run the mount that goes through the swingarm. So if you want it to look good you will need to invest in some powdercoat for the frame. For the motor, a port and polish will wake up the motor, along with a new set of reeds, You probably already have a pipe on there, and a larger carb wouldn't hurt if you have the money.

What do you have done to your 250r? You could get some money back by selling the stock parts that are being replaced.

get_up_mark
07-14-2005, 09:38 PM
deffly start the season with a fresh rebuild. also look in classifieds at mx bikes becuase if they dont sell whole they usually get parted out.

tbyrd15
07-15-2005, 10:01 AM
the motor is on a fresh rebuilt (.40 over). the case saver bolts holes are broke, but does not leak oil, so I want to get a new left case half for it also, unless this is not a problem. the motor is already ported and polished, with delta reeds and cage, a 38 or 39 carb also and a fmf pipe. I do plan to powder coat the frame and other parts. I think I will just stick with the 86 swinger, for now. Thanks for clearing up my a-arm question, I think I will go with +2.