PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank problems

fast_enough
07-13-2005, 11:22 AM
hey i know a lot of people have problems with the sleeve on the oil tank tank that the drain plug screws into, breaking off, it happened to me and i was wonderin if JB weld would hold it with no problems.

Thanks please help me out

nakomis0
07-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I have seen JB weld hold it. For how long... who knows, but it will work.

You should always run your bike until its hot before doing an oil change. It will loosen more of the bad oil deposits, and will make the bolts come off easier.

enduro400rider
07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
yep same thing happened to me. i used JB on mine it doesnt leak but when i change the oil in it i never use the drain bolt any more. i un bolt the oil line to the motor and let in drain out there. im just afraid that the JB weld wont hold up if i torque the bolt back down. JB is just a temporary fix i got a new tank, try it but i wouldnt do it for a long time. its possible it could break on the trail and you would loose all your oil and that will not turn out good

jhoppa
07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Same thing happened to me. I bought a new oil tank off e-bay.

JB Weld gives up completely once it goes out of its heat range. I believe it is 300 degrees or so. This is the only concern I would have by using it.

I now use anti-seize on all my oil drain plugs.

rob-u/21
07-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Same thing happened to me. I used it as an excuse to buy a larger capacity tank.