PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure?

400ex2072
07-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Hello,

Got another question for all you engine guys out there. I have rebuilt my engine with a 13:1 426 piston in addition to everything I already had that is in my sig. On top of that I have recently added a FST auxillary oil cooler. I have taken the bike out about 4 times since rebuilding it and it runs great. Problem is that it seems to be running EXTREMELY hot. I mean after about 45 minutes, its practically burning my leg through my riding pants. I threw some water on it during a break from riding and it boiled immediately and evaporated almost as fast as I put it on. I know It is normal to generate more heat with the 13:1 piston, but is it really supposed to be running THIS hot? I know the engine is getting oil because after I rebuilt it I turned the engine over with one of the valve caps off and could see oil coming out of the cam. Plus, Ive ridden it hard 4 times and it hasnt blown up yet.

My question is whether or not there is a way to check the oil pressure on it. I know its getting oil as I said, but is it getting ENOUGH oil? I checked the oil on the dipstick about 1/2 way through the day and it dripped right off thin just like it was water (it was 20w50 too) Any help would be appreciated, I dont want to burn this engine up after I just got done rebuilding it...

key4202003
07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
do you think it could be way lean??

jak1389
07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
try switching to a sae 10w-40. its better for warmer weather. yea you could aslo be running a little lean.

p.s.

its not a smart idea to throw water on a buring hot motor. you could crack the case that way.;)

TC426EX
07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I agree, although it sounds like a good idea, do NOT throw cold water on a hot engine! As far as measuring your oil pressure, Im not aware of any electronic in-line guages out there, but there could be. I would just disconnect one of the lines and rev the engine a couple times and see how hard it sprays out. Other than that, cant really think of anything, maybe someone else could help...

chucked
07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
What octane gas are you running?

400ex2072
07-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Im running straight VP C-12 and using synthetic oil

key4202003
07-13-2005, 01:47 PM
if your worried about oil getting to the engine, i know of a filter that goes from the oil tank to the engine, just above the drain plug. my buddy is a lame arse and doesnt take care of his stuff. when his 440 blew, due to lack of lube. guess what the in line metal mesh filter was totaly gummed up (looked like mud) and whos to say his oil lines wernt the same... just a thought ( . )( . ) heh heh heh.... also oils viscosity changes drimatically due to heat. when the label says 20w 50 the oil stays thicker when cold and thinner when hot.. so 5w 30 would be hella thin, and 80 90w waay thick. also SAE stands for sosioty of automtive engineres (sorry for the poor discription but you get the idea)