PDA

View Full Version : 300ex starting problems

hondarider8908
07-12-2005, 11:42 AM
ok so i bought a 300ex a couple of days ago and got it home and got ready to start it up. it didnt have a battery so i bought one (that cant be the problem). i tried to start it and it just turns over but will not fire. i went and got a new spark plug and still no improvement. when i was just messing around with it, i was holding the start button down and tinkering with the wire going to the spark plug. the first time i did it it shocked me lol, but the second time i did it the bike jumped a little bit and the starter button wouldnt work anymore. then i figured out when it jumped it put it into first gear, i dont know why, because i didn't hit the shipft lever. now it still turns over(when in neutral)but wont run and i cant figure out why.....

07-12-2005, 11:58 AM
there might be something wrong with your cylinoid sp?, what did the plug look like when you took it out are you useing the choke

bwamos
07-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Don't ever really need to use the choke on a 300ex. It's pretty pointless.

1) Check to make sure the Red Switch by your starter isnt flipped to one side or the other. This is the kill switch. Might be black.. but it moves from right to left. It should be in the Center position.

2) Make sure your gas is turned on.

3) Make sure you have plenty of gas.. might be on reserve.

4) Make sure you're reverse lever isnt still up. Won't start with it pulled up.

5) Remove the plug. Keep on wire. Put it up against the motor. Check for spark. If you're getting spark it's a fuel issue. (and for heavens sake dont hold on the the plug when you check, :))

6) Pull fuel line off of carb.. make sure it's flowing. (turn gas off first.. then barley turn it on to check)

7) If all else checks out.. you need to clean the carb.

07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
and for heavens sake dont hold on the the plug when you check

hahaha i did that once on accident it doesnt hurt that bad its just that it supprises you, now if its too bright out side to see the spark i do it on purpose to make sure its working lol :blah:

99ex
07-13-2005, 11:12 AM
is it stil not startin when u try to turn it over put ur hand over the end of the exhaust and if thers no compression then ur timming is done mine did that i had t geta new timing chain it jumped it's timing

hondarider8908
07-13-2005, 11:17 AM
thanks, i think im getting too much gas to the engine so im either gonna take the carb apart and clean it or replace it cause it looks kinda rough

bwamos
07-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Good place to start. Check your float level while you're in there. If you dont know what it's supposed to be I can look it up tonight.

Get a Clymers or a Honda Shop manual.. either one is great and they will be your best friend. A must for any atv owner.