PDA

View Full Version : 06 trx 450r facts!

tt racer
07-12-2005, 06:55 AM
I know what you guys are thinking here we go but i have some facts. I was talking to a salesman at the new dealership in marysville about the 06 450r and he told me a little not alot. The motor is completely changed and it totally rips. They had a meeting with honda r&d and they tested it against all other sport quads and it outran them in a drag race. The suspension is new and this model is alot more race ready than the previous years. The announcement will be in the end of august. So guys dont buy the 05 wait. For those of you who dont know the 450r is made in marysville, oh. I work for honda, the frame plant and im going to tour the motorcycle plant to check production. Ill keep you guys posted. Please no bashing im just trying to give you guys facts before you would normally get them. I know i can get a little more info working for honda than someone who doesnt.:chinese:

MR.BIG
07-12-2005, 07:22 AM
I'm not bashing you but I can't see honda totally changing the engine. But I guess time will tell!

duke416ex
07-12-2005, 07:26 AM
I know in the other post a lot of ppl were against e start and an x version of the 450, but I htink it would be great, let's face it, it takes a different setup completely for mx or xc. Whatever the factory does to get me closer to that setup from the start I am happy with.

Jonas
07-12-2005, 08:38 AM
trx450r "facts" as stated by a salesman?

07-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by tt racer
I know what you guys are thinking here we go but i have some facts. I was talking to a salesman at the new dealership in marysville about the 06 450r and he told me a little not alot. The motor is completely changed and it totally rips. They had a meeting with honda r&d and they tested it against all other sport quads and it outran them in a drag race. The suspension is new and this model is alot more race ready than the previous years. The announcement will be in the end of august. So guys dont buy the 05 wait. For those of you who dont know the 450r is made in marysville, oh. I work for honda, the frame plant and im going to tour the motorcycle plant to check production. Ill keep you guys posted. Please no bashing im just trying to give you guys facts before you would normally get them. I know i can get a little more info working for honda than someone who doesnt.:chinese:

i dont see y they would change the whole engine, they didnt spend all the time making the 450r just to change it all 2 years later

Mxracer53
07-12-2005, 09:06 AM
if anything all thier are doing is making it like a beffed up crf engine this time

CdaleXtreme
07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
i dont see y they would change the whole engine, they didnt spend all the time making the 450r just to change it all 2 years later

Why not they do it almost every year with their dirt bikes. I dont expect anything less for a unit that sells 3 TRX's to one CRF

Blown 331
07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Mxracer53
if anything all thier are doing is making it like a beffed up crf engine this time

Um, that's what we have now.

duke416ex
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
Um, that's what we have now.

:huh Then why does putting a crf cam and carb give better response than the trx?

07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
:huh Then why does putting a crf cam and carb give better response than the trx?

also more power :macho

Mikenar
07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
I heard from an uncle that has a sister named somethingko that they are just going to merge with Sony, and then they will put handle bars on the PS3 and that will be thier new quad! cause the PS3 can do everythings!! itz a meeeriKal of ModerN scieNcceee thats a fact stated from my Uncles sister somethingko! she lives in JapaN! and drives a honda, or honda like car! so she must Know!!

tt racer
07-12-2005, 07:01 PM
In august remember me, the motor internally will be totally different and suspension. Think about it with all the other companies stepping it up above and beyond honda can not count on just the name. They will not dissapoint the fans, it will be more affordable to race competetivly. After all it is a race machine remember, if you want a trail bike buy a 400 ex or z 400.:chinese:

cals400ex
07-12-2005, 07:03 PM
In august remember me, the motor internally will be totally different and suspension. Think about it with all the other companies stepping it up above and beyond honda can not count on just the name. They will not dissapoint the fans, it will be more affordable to race competetivly. After all it is a race machine remember, if you want a trail bike buy a 400 ex or z 400.:chinese:

we know that most of the other companies are ahead in the power category. however, it was the same way with the 400ex. i don't think honda is going to do much once again.

TWISTED
07-12-2005, 08:18 PM
You might see a different color or some stickers, but I don't think Honda really cares cause they know they'll sell just because they say Honda on the side. I wish they would step it up a notch or two!! Sure would be nice to stay competitive with the competition...

Smoker
07-13-2005, 05:58 AM
Honda is always reluctant to change designs, and I'm sure they're still selling most of the 450R's they make, it's just there business logic. Most of their engine designs seem to be low frill, but long lasting, look at there utility quads, pushrod motors? They still sell a ton of them. It's hard to say what they are going to do, I don't imagine they are going to do a lot to the motor, John Natalie just won a title on their lower hp engine, as far as stepping it up, everyone is talking about the Z450, the hp numbers are going to be in the ball park as the other 450's unless their FI (rumored) is truly magic. I think it would be great if they started from scratch and designed an atv motor instead of retro-fitting another dirtbike engine, then built a whole new chassis around it. Hopefully they do step it up and build a bike that would be hard to dethrone, like the 250R was.... :p

Jersey450R
07-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
I'm not bashing you but I can't see honda totally changing the engine. But I guess time will tell!
exactly! we are just starting to figure out how to make the motor rip and aftermarket companies are just getting their feet wet into the 450R quad motor. they arent going to do any major changes to the motor besides a cam and maybe titanium valve springs if that. It may have e-start but they had better keep the kick back up on it. dont think honda will do anything do decrease reliability. we all love our hondas because when were riding and racing, the yfz's are back at the trailer or in the shop.

Chassis wise, they had better do something with the shock and linkage in the back. up front, honda could use a progressive rate spring maybe. its all up in the air. the people that say they work for honda and blab their mouths over this forum are either lying or bluffing because if they told hondas secrets, they would be fired and might even have a lawsuit on their hands from honda. when you work for big companies like that, you cant let the secrets out... PERIOD!

Blown 331
07-13-2005, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex

He said Beefed up CRF motor. A cam to me is not called beefing up. Stronger clutch and trans gears is what I call beefing up also more durable valve train and piston. And that is what we have now. Sounds like a beefed up CRF motor to me. And if you're concerned about the cam use a HRC cam, much bigger than a CRF cam anyway.

300exHILLER
07-13-2005, 07:52 AM
I second what Jersey450R said about letting secrets out. I work for one of the biggest electronic companies in the world in design engineering; I know what is coming out 3-5 years from now. If I tell anyone outside the company what their plans are, their BIG time lawyers would drag me through the courts and would make me a street bum faster than I can type the secrets on the net!

When they release a press statement then thats what 450R will be. It is not going to give anyone an advantage this race season cause the aftermarket companies will not have parts out for it, assuming they change alot. Race what you got now and when they release info then plan for next season.

Smoker
07-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Honda is good at staying tight lipped about stuff until they release it, and I if had a job with Honda (man I'm trying) I wouldn't risk a great job to blab about something I saw at work, much less get broken down shot-gun style by there lawyers. :p

TCracin440ex
07-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Smoker
I think it would be great if they started from scratch and designed an atv motor instead of retro-fitting another dirtbike engine, then built a whole new chassis around it. Hopefully they do step it up and build a bike that would be hard to dethrone, like the 250R was.... :p

none of my business...but umm all atvs sport i think are built arround a dirtbike or a bike motor....400ex and the xr, yfz and the yzf, crf and trx, banshee and rz 350, blaster came from a yamaha IT 200, its kinda hard to design a complete atv motor....when its just eazier and cheaper to take a dirtbike motor thats been tried and true and rework it....

rmw7949
07-13-2005, 06:21 PM
They damn well better not change to much! The biggest problem w/getting kids into racing is cost. Whats this gonna do to some kid w/ limited funds who's trying to race? Now he or she has to start all over to be competitive? That's BULLS***! I hope they just leave it alone 4 5 years or so and let the aftermarket run it's course. If they want the sport to grow burnin all the aftermarket co's is not gonna help very much. A few small changes aint gonna hurt but changin the whole motor? Gimme a break, Honda's not that stupid. If they are I'm done!

tt racer
07-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I dont care if you beleive me or not, but like i said before wait till the end of august. I was trying to give you guys some info but all you want to do is bash so im done with this topic. Im an avid racer and know what a quad needs to be competetive out of the box. There for the honda is not compared to the yami. or the future z450. If you dont have 3,5000 in jack to spend on the motor alone then dont buy an 05 450r, wait to buy the 06 are some of you getting what honda is trying to do for such a booming market????????????????????:eek2:

chad502ex
07-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I dont care if you beleive me or not, but like i said before wait till the end of august. I was trying to give you guys some info but all you want to do is bash so im done with this topic. Im an avid racer and know what a quad needs to be competetive out of the box. There for the honda is not compared to the yami. or the future z450. If you dont have 3,5000 in jack to spend on the motor alone then dont buy an 05 450r, wait to buy the 06 are some of you getting what honda is trying to do for such a booming market????????????????????:eek2:

i've heard ppl say basically the same about the 400ex and it still wins races (few but some)

07-13-2005, 10:38 PM
idk but if this is all true its sounds pretty sweet to me

450Racer
07-14-2005, 01:58 AM
:cool: i'm not telling. when the 06 comes out, read this post again. that's all i'm going to say. i'll be a complete retard if i am wrong :blah:

Rich250RRacer
07-14-2005, 09:41 PM

The annual Honda dealer's show is in September, they will be the first to see it. Then it will be released to the media and public.

400excracer
07-22-2005, 07:43 PM
To Jersey450r, you must be pretty nieve if think that employees of companies dont leak info about their products. People are proud of what their companies make, and they want to brag to other people about their companies products. Its only natural. You think companies have the time to worry about policing what every employee might be telling to a friend or posting on the internet? Maybe once you get out in the real world and get a real job you might realize that info leaks from employees of companies is very common. PERIOD!

chris450R
07-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Smoker
Honda is always reluctant to change designs, and I'm sure they're still selling most of the 450R's they make, it's just there business logic. Most of their engine designs seem to be low frill, but long lasting, look at there utility quads, pushrod motors? They still sell a ton of them. It's hard to say what they are going to do, I don't imagine they are going to do a lot to the motor, John Natalie just won a title on their lower hp engine, as far as stepping it up, everyone is talking about the Z450, the hp numbers are going to be in the ball park as the other 450's unless their FI (rumored) is truly magic. I think it would be great if they started from scratch and designed an atv motor instead of retro-fitting another dirtbike engine, then built a whole new chassis around it. Hopefully they do step it up and build a bike that would be hard to dethrone, like the 250R was.... :p

ok not trying to start any **** here but Natalie is an awesome rider. it really doesn't matter what he is on he will win. last season he didn;t have the training and had to work during the week to keep funds up. this season he has quit working and concentrated on his training and practicing and it has paid off big time. he also has better sponsor's and support this season. he is not yet a honda factory rider but he will probably be next season. also his 450R was definitely not a low hp machine. he had a sparks built motor! needless to say that is not low hp. maybe not the top power out there but it has way more than stock. and the fact that everyone is saying the hp of the 450R is less than the YFZ and possible the new Z450, that is no matter. its all stock, but that is where aftermarket comes into play. i mean on the track or trails power definitely isn't everything or really matter, it all comes down to rider in the end.power may get you to the first turn first but from there you better be able to ride it that fast to be able to stay in front. and if the new suzuki has what is said or rumored to have on it the price will be alot higher than the 450R or YFZ. but i guess we will see.

Smoker
07-23-2005, 12:09 AM
O.K TCracin440ex, I don't think it is a completely bad thing to use dirt bike motors, and it's been done a lot, in my opinion, if they set out from scratch and built an ATV motor, I just think it would be better suited for an ATV instead of a motorcycle retro fit, merely my opinion.

chris450R, I wasn't implying there is anything low horsepower about the 450r, I was being a little sarcastic, most people gab about the YFZ and all the juice it has, and tend to look down at the R. I own a 450R and couldn't be happier with it, after the mods of course. My point being, it's hard to believe they will do any major changes to the motor.

:p

450RGNCC
07-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by chris450R
ok not trying to start any **** here but Natalie is an awesome rider. it really doesn't matter what he is on he will win. last season he didn;t have the training and had to work during the week to keep funds up. this season he has quit working and concentrated on his training and practicing and it has paid off big time. he also has better sponsor's and support this season. he is not yet a honda factory rider but he will probably be next season. also his 450R was definitely not a low hp machine. he had a sparks built motor! needless to say that is not low hp. maybe not the top power out there but it has way more than stock. and the fact that everyone is saying the hp of the 450R is less than the YFZ and possible the new Z450, that is no matter. its all stock, but that is where aftermarket comes into play. i mean on the track or trails power definitely isn't everything or really matter, it all comes down to rider in the end.power may get you to the first turn first but from there you better be able to ride it that fast to be able to stay in front. and if the new suzuki has what is said or rumored to have on it the price will be alot higher than the 450R or YFZ. but i guess we will see.
Natalie is a factory rider!:D

Punk'd
07-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Alright.. my moneys going on STOCK with HRC kit and electric start:D

BSTURDIVANT
07-24-2005, 08:01 AM
If Honda changes anything, it won't be drastic. Mayge a few things known to improve-cam,rear linkage,air box and of course the normal Honda things-color and decals. These changes still fall into the salesmans "drastic changes" remarks for Honda!

Here's my additional list if it would make any difference!
Stronger frame
Engine lowered for better center of gravity
Better engine bearings and rod
Lower first gear ratio
Better or "actual "case saver
Improved seat that's 1" lower
Improved fender brackets

May not be perfection, but would help on expenses!

cinigen9
07-24-2005, 11:04 AM
excellent list.. hope they are listening.

Carson

sgerbyshak
07-24-2005, 12:16 PM
How about fuel injection and an aluminum frame that holds the fuel with the air filter up where the tank would normally be. Lower center of gravity and 2 inches wider...

SandrailCrazy
07-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Someone asked why not change it every year, do you have any idea what it would cost to do that??? retooling machines alone is a very pricey undertaking, not to mention lack of compatibility from year to year, only way they can do it year to year is to stop production completely on the old model, otherwise it will simply become a logistics nightmare.

PS im new here dont kill me, i just know a little about manufacturing.

Chef
07-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by sgerbyshak
How about fuel injection and an aluminum frame that holds the fuel with the air filter up where the tank would normally be. Lower center of gravity and 2 inches wider...

Yea lets put our fuel in the frame so that when someone has a really hard crash, and the frame breaks, the bike burns up to boot.

cals400ex
07-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Chef
Yea lets put our fuel in the frame so that when someone has a really hard crash, and the frame breaks, the bike burns up to boot.

you might save weight with no gas tank though... :D

450robot
07-25-2005, 12:08 AM
because saving weight is more important to honda than seeing people blow up on the track hahaha, that would be funny

the only reasonable changes i could see honda making without spending alot of money

is :
-new cam design
-new linkage
-shock revalve or respring for a softer trail ride
-maybe electric start
-maybe a carb change or redesign

superquadguy
07-25-2005, 08:23 AM
if they add e-start where are they going to put it. there is no room under the carb. they would have to make new cases that would be a big change. remember how much they changed the 400ex, LOL.

robman
07-25-2005, 10:49 AM
The sport quad ball is rolling now so if they want to stay in the game they'll hafto update every year.

aroracer72
07-25-2005, 10:08 PM
If they were smart, theyd incorporate the dirtbike ignition system, change valve size...and improve the prots. A good pwoer boost results from all this.
my 2 cents.
CHAD

aroracer72
07-25-2005, 10:09 PM
here about polaris's new 450 race quad to be released in september(info on it). Rumors are twin rods, oval piston and 8 valves. But id be surprisedif it actually had it.
CHAD

Punk'd
07-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by aroracer72
here about polaris's new 450 race quad to be released in september(info on it). Rumors are twin rods, oval piston and 8 valves. But id be surprisedif it actually had it.
CHAD

Are you sure? They just released there Pred 500 IRS??

450robot
07-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by aroracer72
CHAD

i dought that would ever be made, it sounds like a mythical creature haha

but seriously, if they found a way to make it work, im sure it would be used on something more important than a quad

i mean, that would be a revolutionary design

aroracer72
07-25-2005, 10:25 PM
No oval piston and dual rods are used in the car racing world and high eprformance engines. It allows an engine to rev up to 18000rpm's!!!!....thast why im skeptical polaris will pull it off...but idk..we'll see.
CHAD

kbass24emtp
07-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Honda had an oval piston in one of their racing superbikes a few years ago.

450robot
07-25-2005, 10:39 PM
i never knew that, i would like to see how they work,

you would need to replace the sleeve everytime you rebuild though, i dont think you could bore and hone an oval could you?

aroracer72
07-25-2005, 10:56 PM
YEs you can...but it costs extra...and not every place does it. ANd no one knows about oval pistons...but they ahve been in many race engines.
CHAD

kwatts400
07-26-2005, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by kbass24emtp
Honda had an oval piston in one of their racing superbikes a few years ago.

Yeah, and it was a pretty expensive engine.

superquadguy
07-26-2005, 08:13 AM
it was a NR750. honda used is a Moto-GP bike. they took there V4 and made a 8 rod monster. the piston had two rods. look and see.
http://www.ozvfr.net/gallery/NR750?page=4

aroracer72
07-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Here for all you lazy people.....
CHAD

http://www.ozvfr.net/albums/NR750/abg.thumb.jpg

redrider9045
07-26-2005, 12:49 PM
well if you look at susuki is supposed to come out with a kick *** race quad so honda might step it up and also honda doesnt have the power out of the box but man give it a 500 engine mod and it will scream

aroracer72
07-26-2005, 01:05 PM
problem is....so does a yfz with 500cc...and even a ltz400 with a big big bore. Suzuki's enw dirtbike motor is killer, so there quad should haul some serious butt. But the problem is..honda needs tog et big pwoer out of 450cc...not 500. And a dirtbike ignition, better porting and lrger valves would give a great power booster..and it wont be behind anymore.
CHAD

Toadz400
07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
If Honda changes anything, it won't be drastic. Mayge a few things known to improve-cam,rear linkage,air box and of course the normal Honda things-color and decals. These changes still fall into the salesmans "drastic changes" remarks for Honda!

Here's my additional list if it would make any difference!
Stronger frame
Engine lowered for better center of gravity
Better engine bearings and rod
Lower first gear ratio
Better or "actual "case saver
Improved seat that's 1" lower
Improved fender brackets

May not be perfection, but would help on expenses!

I agree with you 100%. That's probably the farthest they will go with improving the 450R. They don't really need to improve it anymore anyway, it's pretty good for the average person how it is anyway. As far as making it more racier, I think Honda leaves that up to the customers to do themselves if they really want it.

Honda
07-26-2005, 11:15 PM
I expect that with Suzuki stepping it up this year, we are going to see Honda make some changes, may be we won't, but Honda always makes changes after the third year of production, the only exception would be in the motorcycle line up which sees changes annually.

Riders are getting tired of the same old, same old. The major technology advances Suzuki is planning on implementing on the Z450 could be enough to sway even the most die hard of Honda buyers, Yamaha also made significant changes to the YFZ, a bike that has already influenced many would be Honda buyers.

I wouldn't expect Honda to sit this one out, though they have always been cautious and timid when it comes to the ATV market.

Toadz400
07-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by sgerbyshak

Cannondale you mean?:rolleyes:

Jonas
07-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Honda
I expect that with Suzuki stepping it up this year, we are going to see Honda make some changes, may be we won't, but Honda always makes changes after the third year of production, the only exception would be in the motorcycle line up which sees changes annually.

Riders are getting tired of the same old, same old. The major technology advances Suzuki is planning on implementing on the Z450 could be enough to sway even the most die hard of Honda buyers, Yamaha also made significant changes to the YFZ, a bike that has already influenced many would be Honda buyers.

I wouldn't expect Honda to sit this one out, though they have always been cautious and timid when it comes to the ATV market.

We don't know what Suzuki is going to do this year.

aroracer72
07-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Suzuki is going all out race quad...basically like a cannondale moto. RUMORED...better then elka shocks, chromoly swingarm, nearly 50inches wide stock, fuel injection, no special frame, all youll need is nerfs to race it. SUPPOSEDLY Jeramiah and doug are gonna race them with stock a-arms, shocks axle, swinger and stuff...so thats saying something right tehre.
CHAD

superquadguy
07-28-2005, 08:07 AM
it doesn't matter. it's not a honda. it won't hold togather if you hop-up the motor. 90% of all sportquads never see a track.

dtmichau
07-28-2005, 08:33 AM
theres a post of trx450r.org about a guy seeing the new 06's. doesnt give any exact information but sounds legit if any of you wanna check it out.

Jonas
07-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I am going to go out on the line and say that the magazine you read this from is full of it. I would be happy if they were right, but how many things have you read in magazines about future models that haven't come true.

yamadjs08
07-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Cannondale you mean?:rolleyes:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...:huh

aroracer72
07-28-2005, 01:09 PM
i didnt say i bilieve them...LOL....im sjut stating that...but my freidns dad stores a dealers quads and snowmobiles at his house, and we talked to the owner of the dealer, and he told us usually he has facts about the new quads before theyre released..but this one there trying to keep it very VERY secured in teh info department...so idk....suzuki may have soemthing legit coming out.
CHAD

copter
07-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by dtmichau
theres a post of trx450r.org about a guy seeing the new 06's. doesnt give any exact information but sounds legit if any of you wanna check it out.

06 450R.ORG (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11070)

murrays400ex
07-29-2005, 12:46 AM
That give ZERO info..but its a neat story. That sutff happens to people all over. A few years ago i seen a opro dirtbiker out on some trails in northern michi9gan.
chad