PDA

View Full Version : PEP shocks, tcs springs???

ridinthedunes
07-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Hello,
I just picked up some used shocks for my 400ex. The guy said they were pep tripple rates with rezzies and he had tcs springs put on (he thought they were a smoother shock).
I put them on my quad and when I pull the front end up (fully extend the shocks) it goes down very slow and maybe even "squeels" some. they also seem stiffer going down then the works triple w/rezzies I had on...both are supposed to be set up for around my weight (200lbs). The rezzies have adjusters on them marked "comp" that turn 20 clicks. I went full both ways didn't seem to help. I also tried adj. the preload.
Are they "done"....? needing to be rebuilt?
Any advice or knowledge on them would be appreciated.
They don't say pep anywhere on the shocks, but the bigger spring say tcs, the shafts are bigger than my works and the rezzies are HUGE.
Thanks,
Rob

tater_kamik
07-12-2005, 12:20 AM
anyone?!? im confused as always, im sure i will have something to say eventually!!!:D

ridinthedunes
07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
wow, nobody knows if these are supposed to do this or need rebuilt??? Come on guys, I need to try and get my money back if these need rebuilt or aren't peps.

tater_kamik
07-12-2005, 01:13 PM
throw some pics on here, maybe someone will recognize them! you may be able to talk to some shock rebuilding companies and see what they think, as well as calling tcs. you never know!

FoxRacing81
07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Have you rode with them on yet? IDK why anyone would put TCS Springs on PEP Shocks...take it for a spin...see how it rides...you should be able to tell right away if somethins outta wack.

tater_kamik
07-12-2005, 01:47 PM
i agree, ride it a little. i wondered why anyone would swap springs like that myself, maybe he knows something we dont?!!?

ridinthedunes
07-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I haven't rode on them yet, need to get clamps for the rezzies.
looked today at hose clamps but couldn't find any large enough.
I'll try again tomorrow. Here's a picture, hope it works

Florida400EX
07-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Those look like the old cheap peps. Sounds like the guy you got em from is pretty sketchy, if you could I'd get the money back, unless you got a good deal (a dam good deal).

ridinthedunes
07-12-2005, 08:36 PM
paid $350
Called C&D and the guy said that I might be feeling the zps, not being used to it with my old works shocks.
Anyone else have any idea on what they are..?
Thanks,
Rob

EvilJester400EX
07-12-2005, 10:08 PM
When you push down on the front end, does it come up really fast? If yes, needs rebuild.

ridinthedunes
07-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Doesn't seem to come up, what I would concider, fast.
just slow to come back to normal position when I extend them (lift the front end off the ground and sit it back down)

EvilJester400EX
07-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Well then it sounds like they're normal, as long as they don't pogo stick back up then they should be alright.

ridinthedunes
07-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Those look like the old cheap peps. Sounds like the guy you got em from is pretty sketchy, if you could I'd get the money back, unless you got a good deal (a dam good deal).

What on these tells you they are old?
What makes them cheap?
Do you think $350 is a "dam good deal" ?
Thanks,
Rob

YZ400EX
07-14-2005, 05:51 PM
I dont know anything about PEP shocks, but to me it sounds like (if you have a rebound adjustment) it needs to be adjusted to let shocks drop faster..I know on my Elkas They will drop super slow or super fast depending on what setting the rebound is set on..They have alot of adjustment so you can get them where you want..maybe this is your problem?? Now sure if they have this setting, but if they do, mess with it a bit and it should fix your problem.

ridinthedunes
07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't think they have rebound adj.

EvilJester400EX
07-14-2005, 07:23 PM
They don't, your shocks are compression adjustable only.

crf500
07-14-2005, 09:10 PM
they do look like an older set of peps or works. this guy has had them sent into tcs and had them redone looks like to me. i have had 2 new sets of tcs zps and they all have the same old squeeling noises. this is because they use metal crossovers. sounds like the rebound could be a little slow and the only thing you can do is send them in and have it changed. try c&d or tcs they should be able to fix u right up. just my 2 cents.

roostin_dale
07-14-2005, 09:17 PM
those look like TCS shocks to me, not just springs.

Compare your picture to this picture of my TCS shocks (about 2 years ago)...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p84b60fe2ed15aca5218d1d10db7cce39/f985e4b2.jpg

Maybe its just me but the bottom mounts, the rezzies, the hoses, etc. I think you got TCS shocks....someone please correct me if they are not!

crf500
07-14-2005, 09:26 PM
roostin dale yours look just like the ones i had , look at the preload settings on his non threaded, remember the older type tcs with the small shafts & the funky dual rate springs. but they have had the newer springs put on them ????????????

EvilJester400EX
07-14-2005, 11:58 PM
They really just look like older model TCS to me.