PDA

View Full Version : 500cc big bore kit w/cam?

crf500
07-11-2005, 10:42 PM
guys i ordered a 500cc big bore kit and i was wondering what cam to go with and maybe what kind of porting. i mainly race xc and hill climb so really want some low end grunt if you know what i mean. all comments considered

thanks adam

mikes450r
07-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by crf500
guys i ordered a 500cc big bore kit and i was wondering what cam to go with and maybe what kind of porting. i mainly race xc and hill climb so really want some low end grunt if you know what i mean. all comments considered

thanks adam

do they make a different cylinder for this 500cc or are they using your stock bore jug and boring it out..

mike

brif
07-12-2005, 05:41 PM
If you're running the FST 12:1 comp kit. It is a bored stock cylinder. I'm running this kit now. I have run it with the crf cam and the johnson cam and soon the hrc. It you're looking for bottom-mid, I'd try that 02 crf cam. It really made power where I think you'll want it. Now the johnson it didn't seem to really hurt the bottom to me, and it screamed on the top. The johnson is alot of work though.

crf500
07-12-2005, 09:11 PM
yes it is the fst kit and i like the sound or the crf cam what about a little porting on the intake side and a clean up on the exhaust side let me know.

brif
07-13-2005, 04:21 PM
My head is now ported, although I never ran this head with the crf cam. I'd try the cam first, then as you need/want more power add accordingly.........

MR.BIG
07-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by brif
If you're running the FST 12:1 comp kit. It is a bored stock cylinder. I'm running this kit now. I have run it with the crf cam and the johnson cam and soon the hrc. It you're looking for bottom-mid, I'd try that 02 crf cam. It really made power where I think you'll want it. Now the johnson it didn't seem to really hurt the bottom to me, and it screamed on the top. The johnson is alot of work though.

The 02 crf cam is more of a mid to top cam. The 05crf cam is more of a lowend with a smooth hit. Read the thread about joe byrds engine it explains everything in there.

brif
07-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I won't agree with your statement. A bike with similar mods as mine was dyno'd on the same dyno with the difference being a hrc versus my 02' crf. The diff was about 4 hp on the big end. The 02' crf cam is a mild cam. The hrc and the johnson( I have both of them) is more agressive than the 02' crf. For his application he will be better off with the 02' crf.

brif
07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I believe this is the post Mr Big is referring to

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
ok what cheap mods would u reccommend? i already have a pipe, filter, cut lid, etc

how do you feel about the CRF cam in a GNCC style race?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cam and piston would be the next step don't go to high on CR for woods riding You want to keep the motor very durable.
The CRF cam is a good choice the 02 unit gives the most top end . The 05 gives great smooth tractable power. Hope this helps

What is being said is the 02 cam has the most top-end OF the crf cams. Not that it is a top-end cam.