PDA

View Full Version : 06 450R Info

400excracer
07-11-2005, 09:12 PM
It is finally confirmed. The 06 450R will have electric start. I talked to someone that I race with that works in r&d at honda. He said that the 06 450R will have electric start. As far as any other changes, I don't know. I didn't have much time to talk with him. Hopefully I will get some more info at our next race.

TrX450rKiD
07-11-2005, 10:22 PM
You didn't have much time to talk to him? How long does it take to say what will be different? Was it a 3 second conversation?

I'm sorry that I am so skeptical .. just sick of all the people that say they have the "inside scoop" :rolleyes:

trx450jason
07-11-2005, 10:46 PM
its always people with under 10 posts too haha..im not bashing or anything because i know i don't have many but i want some proof:macho

07-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by trx450jason
its always people with under 10 posts too haha..im not bashing or anything because i know i don't have many but i want some proof:macho

it will be an 06....:blah:

kazpr
07-11-2005, 11:31 PM
E-start is so not needed. That is the last thing the 450r is needing. Well besides reverse.

TrX450rKiD
07-12-2005, 12:01 AM
I personally think it WILL have electric .. unfortunately.

kazpr
07-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Ya i am thinking E-start, Diff cam and rear link.

07-12-2005, 08:48 AM
i'm thinking E-start, aluminum spar frame, and a new carb or EFI

TrX450rKiD
07-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
i'm thinking E-start, aluminum spar frame, and a new carb or EFI
Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

There will not be an alum frame or EFI.

07-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD
Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

There will not be an alum frame or EFI.

how do u figure...i can bet almost 100% it will have an aluminum spar frame

Quad18star
07-12-2005, 10:25 AM
I have 2 cousins that work for Honda ... but they work in the car division , maybe I'll get the inside scoop onnthe new 07 Honda Civic . ;)

I think the new 450r will have E-start . It would be in Honda's best interest financially to put E-start on the quad . How many people do you think have decided against buying a 450r because it didn't have electric start ?? I'm guessing a LOT of people . Not everyone wants to kick a quad over to start it ... nor does everybody have the strength to do it . Now if Honda came out with electric start with a kicker backup , that would be the smartest thing they could have ever done .

MAD450r
07-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Look back in any honda offroad history. Find one R with electric start or a battery.

H-Bomb09
07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Why does everyone sound so f*ckin nervous over an electric start...OMG it cant be an R if it has an electric start.... c'mon grow up and stop making posts that make you sound like your gonna cry.

400excracer
07-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Right on! Why is everyone so scared of estart? I personaly wouldn't buy the 450r without estart. And just because I dont have over 10 posts I dont know anything? First on all, I work at Parts Unlimited. It is my job to stay up on whats going on in the offroad industry. Second of all, Ive been racing cross country for almost as long as some of you are old. My source was very busy as was I, trying to get ready for a race. Most of you have never competed in one before, so dont tell me how much time I have. Believe it or not. I dont care. But I'll be buying my 06 450r with estart this fall, and laughing while somebody with kickstart is siting at the start line kicking away while i'm rounding turn one.

07-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 400excracer
Right on! Why is everyone so scared of estart? I personaly wouldn't buy the 450r without estart. And just because I dont have over 10 posts I dont know anything? First on all, I work at Parts Unlimited. It is my job to stay up on whats going on in the offroad industry. Second of all, Ive been racing cross country for almost as long as some of you are old. My source was very busy as was I, trying to get ready for a race. Most of you have never competed in one before, so dont tell me how much time I have. Believe it or not. I dont care. But I'll be buying my 06 450r with estart this fall, and laughing while somebody with kickstart is siting at the start line kicking away while i'm rounding turn one.

dont think you will be the first into the turn though :blah: ;)

400excracer
07-12-2005, 11:41 AM
how would you know

honduh440
07-12-2005, 11:44 AM

atleast the guy with the kick start wont dnf like when ur battery is to low to turn over your race motor

07-12-2005, 11:49 AM
how would you know

wow man...i was just joking with you...but i can get my 450r kick started a lot faster then a lot of people with electric start

400excracer
07-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Why dont you go buy a 250r and live in the past. If the technology is there, use it. I have no problem with having it as a back up. Actually i would prefer it. Take it off if you dont want it. The last 2 races I was in there was one of two 450rs kicking their quads at the line when everybody else was already racing. That a fact.

Smoker
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I agree with Quad18star, they should do like Yamaha did, only the bike would come with e-start and a kick back up and give you a block off plate if you don't want the e-start so you can take it off if it's that big of a deal to those who don't like it. I'm sure not many would get removed. I originally thought they made a boo-boo to the R when it came with no e-start but since owning one it's really not a big since the R starts so easy. The only place I think you would really miss one is getting stranded on a hill, the answer to that is just be careful with the throttle. And 400excracer, for being a seasoned racer and statesman of the industry, why does your post sound like a snotty kid.

07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Smoker
And 400excracer, for being a seasoned racer and statesman of the industry, why does your post sound like a snotty kid.

exactly what i was thinkin...:rolleyes:

400excracer
07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Just to set the record strait, I posted some reliable info for the benifit of the people on this forum, and the next thing you know i am some punk spreading rumors that didn't have more than 3 sec to find out more info. And I just dont understand what is so horible about estart. I dont remember everybody complaining about it when the 400ex, yzf450, and z400 came out. Ispent a lot of years kicking my banshee and I dont miss it. Never meant to come off as a snot nose kid. I was just sticking up for myself. Cant we all just get along? Ha Ha.

Quad18star
07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
atleast the guy with the kick start wont dnf like when ur battery is to low to turn over your race motor

No but he might DNF when he stalls his 450r half way through a moto and is stuck kicking the ***** out of his bike to get it started again . Don't tell me it doesn't happen , cuz I've witnessed guys with kickers stall their bikes , try for 10 minutes to kick it over , then just give up because kicking it took any energy they had left out of them and they can't finish a race .

Like I said earlier .... if Honda came out with an E-star and back up kicker , that would be the smartest move they ever did . Hell my old 1986 Honda 250 fourtrax has an e-start with kicker . If the battery is too low , to result to kicking ... if the battery has enough juice , you push the button and go . Simple as That !!!!!

honduh440
07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
think about ................... if the 06 is exactly the same as the 05 but it has E-start do you think John Natalie is going to be ridding the 06?

Smoker
07-12-2005, 09:52 PM
That's what I was saying about the 06 having e-start, people would not complain or take it off (provided that was an option). I know what you mean about sticking up for yourself, it hard to write stuff on here sometimes because people attack pretty quickly, I don't post sometimes because of it, sorry to join in. :p

Quadude32
07-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Why dont you go buy a 250r and live in the past.

Hey now there is nothing wrong with the 250R.

EvilJester400EX
07-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
think about ................... if the 06 is exactly the same as the 05 but it has E-start do you think John Natalie is going to be ridding the 06?

Yes, a lot of the quads he has ridden in the past had that devilish thing you guys call a "battery". I bet probably a lot of you came from 400ex's, did any of those 400ex's have horrid battery problems? Honda probably will switch to electric start just to idiot proof it from the people that blow the sidecases off when they try and start it.

honduh440
07-12-2005, 11:12 PM
i use to have a 440ex it was high comp race motor. i would never go to the track for practice by myself cuz i knew the daym thing wouldnt start up by itself. after it was warm it would be fine. but i would always have to get someone to pull me the first time for the day. and i had been threw several batterys voltage regulators wirring and all. it was HORRIBLE i will never own another E start!!!!

400excracer
07-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Ive had two 400exs and have never had a problem. Neither have friends of mine that have 400exs. Maybe there was something wrong with your 440ex? I'd really like to see it with estart with a kick start option. I would get it.

450Racer
07-14-2005, 02:01 AM
the last thing you'll be eyeballing on the 06 will the be kickstart, trust me. remember i said this. that's all i'm saying. :cool:

Jersey450R
07-14-2005, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by 450Racer
the last thing you'll be eyeballing on the 06 will the be kickstart, trust me. remember i said this. that's all i'm saying. :cool:
If thats true, we are going to have a whole bunch of mad, angry, upset, doubtful people keeping their 04 and 05's. :ermm:

*Dear god, please dont let honda do away with our beautiful kickstarters*
Amen

MAD450r
07-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Find another honda with the R at the end of its size or model name. Find me one with e-start that says R.

Now im not against them doing this or not since I have an 04 and wouldn't want e-start anyways. I weight 125lb in full gear and when my 450r is hot I can start it sitting down. When its cold I have to use more effort to kick it but 2-3 kics is all it ever takes.

MAD450r
07-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Find another honda with the R at the end of its size or model name. Find me one with e-start that says R.

Now im not against them doing this or not since I have an 04 and wouldn't want e-start anyways. I weight 125lb in full gear and when my 450r is hot I can start it sitting down. When its cold I have to use more effort to kick it but 2-3 kics is all it ever takes.

MAD450r
07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
now if they add e-start and call it an ex or something along those lines then I can say yes I have seen many of honda's with estart and that model name.

not trying to argue for or against it. I am simply stating what I have seen in the past from honda.

450Rcarbonpro
07-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Sorry no aluminum frame is coming. I know an individual who did some r and d for honda of america. It was a test 450r with an aluminum frame. First to get all the strength needed it actually weighed 4 lbs more than the curent steel frame. To top that off it continually broke around the swing arm mount section of the frame. The frame just needs more R&D and design work. Part of the problem is that honda does not like using machined parts to keep costs down. They will have to make an aluminum frame work. Examine a Cannondale frame where the spars meet the cad designed machined sections. That is how strenght is achieved.

Out_Sider
07-18-2005, 04:27 PM
soo many 06 450r threads... i think im gonna go crazy if i see another one.

we will SEE whats on the 06 when its released, how about that?

450Rcarbonpro
07-18-2005, 07:11 PM
yeah but I don't know what they will release. It will be interesting. But when?

ZRider400
07-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
... nor does everybody have the strength to do it . Now if Honda came out with electric start with a kicker backup , that would be the smartest thing they could have ever done .

lmfao... if the person buying the quad doesnt have the strength to kick start it, then they sure as hell shouldnt be riding a high performance sport quad!

jacksongncc450
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
For 1 thing its Honda they are not goin to release somthing with a junk electric start. How many people had trouble with their 400ex battery going down during a race? Not very many. Everybody is paranoid that the 450r electric start will be bad because they remember the trouble that Yamaha had with their charging system or w/e. I think it will be a good thing if they have electric start because i dont like kickin it 10 times in the woods after I stall it then when I do get goin I dont have any energy to race. Now for you mx guys I think they should offer kickstart because the kickstart obviously would be better in that case.
Thats just what I think.

awj8074
07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by jacksongncc450
For 1 thing its Honda they are not goin to release somthing with a junk electric start. How many people had trouble with their 400ex battery going down during a race? Not very many. Everybody is paranoid that the 450r electric start will be bad because they remember the trouble that Yamaha had with their charging system or w/e. I think it will be a good thing if they have electric start because i dont like kickin it 10 times in the woods after I stall it then when I do get goin I dont have any energy to race. Now for you mx guys I think they should offer kickstart because the kickstart obviously would be better in that case.
Thats just what I think. if it takes you 10 kicks to start it then your doing something wrong. 1st you shouldnt even be stalling it and 2nd if you do it should only take 1 kick to start it.

yeap66
07-19-2005, 09:19 PM
i'm thinkin u ppl should stop *****in about an e-start cause if ya dont' liek it just don't buy it buy an 04 or 05 i'ts easy as that. i can kick mine over fine takes no effort but hey y ya gotta dis ppl if they dont' liek kickin it over whats the big deal i know kids that proubly couldn't kick my 450 over if thier life depended on it but they could proubly kick alot of u'r guy's asses in a race it personally wouldn't matter to me as long as it's a 450 and i can ride it some of u ppl on here ***** more than a chick pms'in damn lol

loc_mon
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Wow!!! Sounds like most people on here are real racers. Does it matter what we buy. I have the 450R right now and thinking about getting the YFZ450 just because of the E-Start. Not all of us race these quads and it would be nice if the wife didn't have to kickstart the damm thing. She rides the 450R so her friend can ride the 400ex.

If all you were only able to afford one quad, which one would you get? Think realistic were others would be able to ride it too.

Punk'd
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by loc_mon
If all you were only able to afford one quad, which one would you get? Think realistic were others would be able to ride it too.

Thats just the thing though.. The quad you buy is the quad YOU want it doesnt matter what others want.. I wouldnt care if I had a quad some people couldnt ride.. because its what I like that counts not what they like.

loc_mon
07-20-2005, 04:21 PM
My life doesn't revolve around quads like some of you in the mid-west. Not trying to be a smartass by any means.

I just want something fast that I can ride and my wife to be able to jump on and cruise with. I have a stock 450r and that plenty of power for me. I also have the 400ex but it just doesn't have the suspension as the 450r does. I don't want to go out and spend 800-1200 on shocks alone for the 400ex.

Any other suggestions? or am i just out of line here?

Maybe i should just join the yfz450 forum now.

Nothing against Honda, I've owned Hondas longer than most of you be around.

cals400ex
07-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by loc_mon
My life doesn't revolve around quads like some of you in the mid-west. Not trying to be a smartass by any means.

I just want something fast that I can ride and my wife to be able to jump on and cruise with. I have a stock 450r and that plenty of power for me. I also have the 400ex but it just doesn't have the suspension as the 450r does. I don't want to go out and spend 800-1200 on shocks alone for the 400ex.

Any other suggestions? or am i just out of line here?

Maybe i should just join the yfz450 forum now.

Nothing against Honda, I've owned Hondas longer than most of you be around.

i honestly don't think the my 400ex and 450r ride all that much differently. for cornering, i found tires to benefit me more than a set of elkas. if you want it to ride smoother, i would adjust the shocks and that may help. those yfz's seem to ride a bit rough to me. however, the better class you race in, the stiffer your shocks will be valved. i guess i must be slow because i prefer a plush ride over bumpy. i do more dragging and cruising than i race on a track though.

and don't get me wrong, i would love to see electric start. its not that it is overwhelming trying to start the bike but e-start is easier.

EXDuner
07-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I am going to buy a 450R soon (unless the new Z is badass) but I want to know if my wife that CANNOT kickstart my '87 250X will she possibly be able to kick over the 450R? She is 110lbs and does a lot of kicking at the gym. I just don't want her to be upset that I spent so much money on a new machine that she can only ride when I start it for her.

MAD450r
07-21-2005, 10:31 AM
my old 200x was harder to kick over than the 450r

not to mention with the 450r you only need a smooth kick, not jump on it with all your might after finding that compression stroke as I had to do with my 200x, or you probly had to do with your 250x.

red2004 TRX450R
07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
LOL :D

400excracer
07-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I would wait for the 06 450R with estart. Your wife will thank you later. We all cant be perfect like awj8074. He must have never stalled his quad ever! Lets be real here. It happens. If you have never stalled your quad ina race, then you have never raced.

MAD450r
07-21-2005, 12:07 PM
When that happens she's warmed up already and thats what the hotstart is for. I can start it sitting down once hot and I am only a tiny guy myself.

5 feet 5 inches 130lbs or so