PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Oil Drain Plug

sprt400ex
09-17-2001, 05:18 PM
my friend stripped his oil drain plug on his 300ex can you tell me what he should do. thanks

nakomis0
09-17-2001, 06:18 PM
ouch!

Try and re-tap it?

09-19-2001, 03:53 PM
when you do retap it,get a manual and a torque wrench.no quad owner should be without either.i think the plug for my 300 is 17 foots pounds,thats not all that tight.good luck.i'm sure someone on here has fixed this problem before.:devil

Leo
09-19-2001, 06:53 PM
Did he strip the threads out of the hole in the motor, or did he strip the hex off the plug itself (so now a wrench doesn't fit anymore..)?

If the threads are stripped out of the hole find a machine shop that will properly re-thread the hole for him...

If the end of the bolt is stripped off find a shop that will weld a nut on the end and then just spin it out (replace it with a new plug of course)..

Leo

09-26-2001, 02:09 PM
The proper repair is called a Heli-coil insert. A quality machine shop or your bike shop should be able to do this for you. If you are above average as a home mechanic,you could also do it your self. The repair involves drilling your oil drain hole oversize, retapping with a special tap, and winding in a Heli-coil insert which is made of stainless steel. This repair leaves threads that are stronger than stock. Be careful not to get chips or shavings in your crankcase. Auto parts stores typically can get these.

400exRacerX
09-26-2001, 07:12 PM
i learned that the hard way, i snapped a side case bolt and had to take the crankcase cover off get it out and put the cover back on. not a hard job but took a hour. from my own experience i have one tip of advice, GET A TORQUE WRENCH no owner of a quad should be without one. i sure as hell bought one after i snapped that bolt. and havent stripped or snapped anything since. good luck!

sprt400ex
09-27-2001, 09:09 PM
thanks guys i sent all the info to him, so he will decide what to do?
thanks again everyone