PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Fix Stripped Hole

E400X
05-30-2002, 06:08 PM
I bought a case saver and when I was taking off the stock one I noticed the bottom bolt hole was stripped and now I can't get the bolt back in tight. What would be the best way to fix this Bolt hole, tapping with a bigger bolt or a helicoil kit. Is one easier to do then the other because this will be my first time fixing a stripped bolt. Also if I was to use a helicoil kit, how would i keep the metal from going into the case when drilling the hole out. Thanks for the help.

CranMan
05-31-2002, 11:02 AM
If you heliciol it you shouldnt be drilling into the case to the point where you're getting metal inside the engine, I don't think. But one way to minimize getting metal shavings in a engine while tapping or drilling is to put grease on the tap or drill bit, the grease sticks to the shavings and holds them there. If it's a easily accesible area, a helicoil should work. I did one for the first time yesterday and it was easy. You just drill the hole out a little bigger, tap it for the heli coil, screw the heli coil in, and break off the tab. I'm pretty sure it will be plenty strong for a case saver bolt...

05-31-2002, 11:26 AM
Is this a through hole (all the way into the engine) or a blind hole (has a bottom)?

If it's blind, make sure you have a bottoming tap. That will thread the hole all the way to the bottom. Otherwise the new threads will not be very deep and will most likely pull out. BTDT. Not fun.

Scott
05-31-2002, 11:31 AM
helicoil it.

E400X
05-31-2002, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the replys. No that you mentioned it, I think it might be a blind hole. I guess I give the helicoil kit a shot.

87Warrior
05-31-2002, 05:01 PM
JB WELD!!!!!

Blake24
05-31-2002, 05:27 PM
hahahaha.........JB WELD...........enough said