PDA

View Full Version : Help: Cant Get Axle Locknut Off

400exrida06
07-11-2005, 09:53 AM
I need to take off my axle because i have to change by bearings, i got the inner locknut to loosen but for the big locknut your supposed to turn it so you can see that little clip and pry it out, well i've been turning the big one and its very hard to turn and now it wont turn no more and i can just start to see the clip but not enough to get it out, we've tried everything like hitting the wrench with a hammer, we might just have to cut it off but if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it, thanks

300exOH
07-11-2005, 10:01 AM
You could use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the nut and put a aftermarket locknut on(like RAD,durablue,etc...). After you loosen the stock locknut it often doesn't stay tight again. I think I only paid $40 for mine.

duke416ex
07-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Drench it in penetrating oil, let it set a while, then turn it in and out for a little while. The threads are probably just dirty so just keep doing this over and over until you get it loose, it should work.

400exrida06
07-11-2005, 02:18 PM
well i got it, i just cut it lol, the threads just had a whole bunch of crap in them, so now im busy tryin to get the axle off, so thanks for the help

07-11-2005, 02:36 PM
man i would have tried to heat it up with a torch at least before i cut the thing

TheFontMaster
07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Are you going to go with an aftermarket locknut. Like 300exHO said aftermarket ones can be reletivily cheap if you get ones that doesn't have the rotor hub built in. And I know when I had my 300ex I would have to tighten the stock lock nut so often.

07-11-2005, 09:40 PM
lol did u turnit toward the front first?tighten it first so u can c the clip

400exrida06
07-11-2005, 10:23 PM
well i got to the bearings and they were shot, and the bearing carrier is in pretty bad shape to so i think im gunna order an aftermarket one, now all i have left to do is look at my steering stem because it rubs up against the plastic up by the tank, well it doenst really rub to much but i think it should be centered more but i'l look at that once i get the bearings done lol.