PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Question. Jeff@Quadshop look here plz

OCCRA288
05-30-2002, 05:53 PM
Okay guys in about three more weeks I'm ordering my Elka Triples with SSD no rezzies. Is it gonna be really weird if I don't get my rear shock rebuilt? I have to have my shocks for summer practice. And how much is a rear Elka dual rate comp&reb adjustable shock?
Thanks Eric

OCCRA288
05-30-2002, 06:29 PM
bumpbump bump

Teufel
05-31-2002, 07:41 AM
It's not going to be bad....but you obviously won't get the results that you would if you were going with the new rear. Also I would recommend that you get the resivors with the fronts, they work much better. If money is the issue, on the new rear shock, look into having it revalved. :cool:

Texan32
05-31-2002, 07:52 AM
I too have the Elka's up front and haven't done anything to the rear. It rides just fine. From what i'm told, the rear shock conv. isn't as dramatic a change as the fronts are, but i does help. For now, all i did was back the preload nut a few turns to level off the bike. The Elka's are going to sit about an inch and a half lower than stock, and you don't want that much rake. Enen now that the rear is lower, botoming in the rear isn't any worse that before i adjusted it.

...my .02

Pepto_Bismol
05-31-2002, 01:59 PM
I agree with Texan, I ran my fronts with stock rear for 4 months, and never had any problem of thinking it felt weird. Here's the point, if you've never had anything but stock shocks, you won't really "know" it's weird, becuase you just adjust to riding the quad like you did when you first hopped on it. I finally did buy the Elka Rear, becuase there must be something to it. Of course, it lowers the back, and I can power slide alot faster, and with the spring rate I now notice the smoother ride, but until I installed it, I didn't know I was even missing those things...see what I mean? BTW, rezzies do not dictate the initial performance of the shock, however, if your riding hard, the rezzies help keep the fluids cooler, hence you get longer lasting performance, which I need in our 110 degree heat down here.
I know I've posted this before, but mabey to ease your concern about using stock rear with Elka fronts, check out one of my smaller jumps...It's with Elka fronts only (stock rear)...
Pepto :cool: BTW, I paid 695.00 for Adj Comp and Rebound rear from Elka direct.

RoostinOna400ex
05-31-2002, 05:07 PM
Do you really need a new shock or is just a rebuild good enough!!

Pepto_Bismol
05-31-2002, 08:49 PM
Not sure what you need...depends on your riding. I probably didn't need the full rear, and was actually going to buy the rebuild, but I ran into some extra cash and decided to get the full blown Elka rear. I've never ridden a quad with a rebuild, but as I said, if you don't know, you won't miss it. However, as you can see I didn't have any problems riding with Elka Fronts and stock rear, so I imagine getting the rebuild will do just fine. Many members here go that route, and I can attest that most of us will probably never get to pro level, so take it for what it is and get what you can.
Pepto :cool: