PDA

View Full Version : Need more help on a part that broke

Jblazin98
07-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Hey guys i got a question, after a long day of riding i get home and there is a little smoke coming from near my swingarm..Further inspection i notcied that the round part that you use to adjust the chain is broken and half of it is gone..The rear sproket also looks like it has some gouges into it..what the heck happened and how do i fix it..Also do you think i lost any fluid from out of my swing arm when that broke..Let me know before i take it to the shop to fix...Later

Jimmy

prepracing
07-10-2005, 08:10 PM
sounds like your axles bearings are wore out and broken away which caused you axle to just be spinning inside the bearing carrier and that caused your carrier to break. u can get an aftermarket carrier with new bearings in it for about $179

07-11-2005, 04:48 AM
what he said

dunebuggie66
07-11-2005, 08:08 AM
you might want to check your antifreeze levels to make sure you didn't lose any out of the back of your swingarm.

bwamos
07-11-2005, 08:23 AM
LoL,

Ok back to a serious note. Not having enough slack in the chain can cause the bearing carrier to break as well. WHen yhe swingarm compresses it takes slack out of the chain. If you didn't have any, it puts a ton of force on the swingarm, sprocket and carrier.

You jsut need to replace the carrier, bearings and sprocket. Make sure to have an inch of up/down movement in your chain next time you tighten it.

Jblazin98
07-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by dunebuggie66
you might want to check your antifreeze levels to make sure you didn't lose any out of the back of your swingarm.

UM Hmm....they only reason i asked that is because the last time i tightened my chain some grease came out and i wasnt sure what it was...but anyways thanks for all the great responses..I called the dealer in my area $327 for the part..Got an aftermarket one off of ebay for $100, how hard is this to put on..thanks

Over-land 450r
07-11-2005, 09:04 PM
NOT HARD TAKE YOUR AXLE OUT UNDO THE FOR BOLTS AND I THINK IT SHOULD POP OUT WITH SOME FORCE

bwamos
07-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Axle & carrier are very easy to change. Sometimes the nut doesnt want to come off.. but other than that.. cake walk.