PDA

View Full Version : K&N graph proves dirt sucker

White_Knuckles
07-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, knowledge is power so I offer this link as subjective for your review, not to start a flame-fest.

Remember, desert and duners are dealing with large particles, this is to enlighten basic off-roaders.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

400exredrider
07-10-2005, 12:56 PM
good info, but it dont look like UNI did much better as far as the dirt it lets in

400exredrider
07-10-2005, 12:58 PM
get an outerware and itll stop that dirt problem

Juggalo
07-10-2005, 02:11 PM
cool get an outerware pay even more money after buying your over priced K&N and have 2 things to clean instead of one. :rolleyes: and still not have a noticeable power diffeence between that and the uni.

07-10-2005, 02:38 PM
very interesting, im still sticking with my K&N

YFZ450Ridr
07-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
cool get an outerware pay even more money after buying your over priced K&N and have 2 things to clean instead of one. :rolleyes: and still not have a noticeable power diffeence between that and the uni.

an outerwear is 10 dollars:huh

i like my uni though with the outwears on it, works fine for me any cleaning is easy.

Woodsrider
07-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Its good info. I'm sticking with my foam filters for my quad. I have a K&N filter in my wifes Acura, and I'd rather clean my foam filters than that K&N. But it does put to rest the old argument of "which is better". Doesnt it?

400exredrider
07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
that graph isnt for Atvs but the UNI still didnt perform excellent. Juggs you wanna fight :macho :blah:

hardkoratvmxr
07-10-2005, 07:51 PM
all i can say is wow i am gettin rid of the k&n

bwamos
07-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Very nice info.

K&N is definatly by far the best filter for drag racers and the dunes where you want the most HP (I'm talking banshees, 250r's etc..). ;) Would also probably be the best for MX where the tracks are usually misted for less dust anyway.

Uni beats it out for everyday riding though for sure. Less maintenance and about 60% more filtration. But, more restrictive in air flow.

NacsMXer
07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
^^ What Bwamos said. I'm not relying on my airfilter to make my HP for me. In dusty conditions a good air filter is one that does a good job of filtering air, not flowing more air ;) K&N's are absolutely fine in anything but those dusty conditions. Leave the K&N's to the dunes and the street.

bwamos
07-11-2005, 11:59 AM
As a side note..

I've been running K&N's on my 300ex for 7 years w/o issue in very dusty midwest conditions. ;) But, this particular test shows the Uni as being the better of the 2 choices.

NacsMXer
07-11-2005, 12:04 PM
I ran a K&N for the last 3 years on my quad thinking it was the best and I always found grit on the inside of my intake boot. Everything was washed and oiled after each ride and I was even running Outerwears on the filter as well as the airbox. I decided to switch to a Uni recently because I don't feel like burning up my $3,000 race motor, just not worth it for a little more airflow IMO :o

Also, didn't have to rejet or anything with the Uni. Haven't experienced any noticable decrease in power so i'm pretty happy with this filter so far.

HondaEXrider22
07-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Wow they dont like the k and n and the uni lol

z400roosteR
07-11-2005, 01:47 PM
So those ones that let like no dirt in.........Does it even let air through lol i mean **** if they make k&n + uni out to be total garbage (which i don't think they are) then what do those others perform like?

wilkin250r
07-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Whoopee, we all knew this. The K&N flows slightly better, but filters slightly less.

However, I am rather surprised at the lifetime rating. It looks like the UNI lasts nearly twice as long before it's plugged up. This is only an advantage to lazy people, I'm pretty sure I clean my filters long before they are fully clogged.

MoToX199
07-12-2005, 07:58 AM
this question is getting out of hand, its like comparing ford to dodge,we all have different opinions on how we like something,some people say they like k&n better then uni,and others say that uni is better then k&n,but in the end it doesnt mater becuz we all think different things,so you should just pick one that you think is best for you,just dont go on wat different people say

bwamos
07-12-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by trick400ex
but in the end it doesnt mater becuz we all think different things,so you should just pick one that you think is best for you,just dont go on wat different people say

But, it is nice to actually see some test values. Gives some facts vs. hype.

Note: I'm still using K&N ;)

MoToX199
07-12-2005, 08:24 AM
yes your are correct on that,sry for that mistake

07-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
But, it is nice to actually see some test values. Gives some facts vs. hype.

Note: I'm still using K&N ;)

so am i, ive ran the MHSC for 2 years and never had a problem with my filter, doubt i ever will :macho

norcalatver
07-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Although that test appears scientific, does anyone actually know the person really performed these tests and did them accurately? It sure smells of a pro GM guy with the AC Delco filter finishing first in every category! And I'm a big Chevy guy!

6858-400ex
07-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo

is it really that difficult to clean a airfilter. :rolleyes:

RRP
07-19-2005, 02:29 PM
so when is ac-delco going to start making atv filters??Seems the test was more to make ac delco look good more than anything.

Screamin440
07-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Everyone that thinks the AC Delco filter was the best filter isn't taking into consideration that it wouldn't flow air like the UNI and the K&N would. The compressed paper filters do an awesome job of filtering out dirt and grit but they don't flow air like the pleated cotton filters do.

If all you are concerned about is keeping the maximum amount of dirt out and not about flowing any kind of air at all then by all means get an O.E. type filter and you won't have to worry about getting any kind of dirt at all inside your engine.

racin richard
07-30-2005, 04:42 PM
its just because they now come pre oiled!!

ex101
07-30-2005, 10:32 PM
I also noticed the ac delco was on top through the whole test.Hmmmm!

White_Knuckles
07-31-2005, 12:12 PM
I posted the graph link as informative test results for ATV consideration. It may now have taken on a life of its own.

The title "graph proves K&N...", was a lure to get riders to at least look. The page states who performed the tests and why. The test filters are for GMC commercial trucks. AC Delco is the OEM stock filter and proved a good choice for your long haul rig. The "testers" are not AC Delco labs.

So... read through the data and extract how each STYLE of filter stacks up. No, it had nothing to do with ATV's as pleated paper filters (AC) are not available for off-road applications. K&N and UNI filter designs are similar to the off-road styles, but the UNI tested may not be a double filter. K&N uses the same basic design for all their filters.

If charts and graphs are too much try this; next filter change, clean the carb side inlet from your airbox. Dab a finger into Vasaline or clear grease and smear a line around the boot inlet area a couple inches down. Next filter service, reach in with a clean white rag around your finger and swipe your "test" line.

If the rag pulls black, dirt, evaluate your filter choice. That stuff is getting to your engine.

Racers go for every ounce of HP they can get. Dirt passing doesn't matter, they tear down the engines every third race. Recreation users should consider what real benifits extra flow vs. dirt passing gives them. Many who have switched find they don't even have to re-jet. Others swear by the K&N.

Take the Pepsi challange, post your results.

fasterthanyouex
07-31-2005, 06:38 PM
just my .02 i think i rather stick with myK&N and outwear then go to a foam..i just think the foam filter is kinda bad..

Out_Sider
07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
i don't really care, lol, the k&n is easier to clean :p