PDA

View Full Version : best shocks

no161can
07-10-2005, 06:06 AM
I just sold my old shocks and are planing on getting new ones. what are the best pep,axis, or elka

fast rusty
07-10-2005, 08:48 AM
the best shocks i think are axis i also think they are the most expensive icould be wrong though. but i like pep the best i always had and every quad i have ever riden with them i realy like. i have riden quads with all the shocks you were talking about and i like pep the best. but then again i think axis is the best.

07-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Elka :macho

Ridin' Jesse
07-10-2005, 10:59 AM
PEP

rob-u/21
07-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Those three are about the same. A few things to keep in mind are:

1. Wait time. PEP is about 3 months, Not sure what AXIS
is but its probably close to that, also AXIS going to
introduce a Piggy back shock later this year I believe
so if you decide to go with AXIS you might want to
wait. ELKA on the other hand is about 2-3 weeks and
have great customer service.
2. Price. PEP is the most high priced of the three. ELKA
and AXIS are about the same.
3. Service. One thing I dont like about PEP is I dont you
can even buy direct from PEP you have to buy through
someone else. On the contrary, you can buy direct
Elka and I think AXIS. Also, you can always call them
if you have any questions on setting up your shocks.

All of these three are top of the line shocks. I dont think you could go wrong with any of these. Just keep in mind the thing I just posted.

416exmx
07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by rob-u/21
Those three are about the same. A few things to keep in mind are:

1. Wait time. PEP is about 3 months, Not sure what AXIS
is but its probably close to that, also AXIS going to
introduce a Piggy back shock later this year I believe
so if you decide to go with AXIS you might want to
wait. ELKA on the other hand is about 2-3 weeks and
have great customer service.
2. Price. PEP is the most high priced of the three. ELKA
and AXIS are about the same.
3. Service. One thing I dont like about PEP is I dont you
can even buy direct from PEP you have to buy through
someone else. On the contrary, you can buy direct
Elka and I think AXIS. Also, you can always call them
if you have any questions on setting up your shocks.

All of these three are top of the line shocks. I dont think you could go wrong with any of these. Just keep in mind the thing I just posted.

actually it is like this. I dont know if we are talking about regular travel or LT so I will use LT as an instance

1. I just got PEP's in a lil over 2 weeks. Axis is about 4 weeks and yes Elka is about 2 weeks.

2.PEP big bottle LT compression adjust retail at $1045. Elka LT compression adjust retail at $1090 and Axis LT compresson adjust retail for more than the other two

3. Yes Elka does have good customer service. Why would you want to buy direct from PEP anyway? Wayne is busy enough without needing to worry about taking orders and giving price quotes all day. I have never had any complaints with Axis either.

There is no answer to which shock is the best. It is all opinion, in my opinion. Oh, and I have owned and rode on several sets of each of the shocks listed.

prepracing
07-10-2005, 08:23 PM
go with whichever shocks look the best on your quad :D

hardkoratvmxr
07-10-2005, 08:54 PM
elka

Snow
07-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by no161can
I just sold my old shocks and are planing on getting new ones. what are the best pep,axis, or elka

you cant really go wrong with any of those three shocks..

R3Concepts
07-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I went from PEP ZPS to Axis..Only have about an hour on the Axis, but Im thinkin im going back to PEP. The Axis are fully adjustable triple rates and the PEP were 20 click ZPS and they felt better, went a lot faster on the PEPs.

Airik79mx
07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I run the PEP ZPS 8-click shocks and I'm very happy with them. Rode with the Elka's and they felt good also but the PEP's feel just alittle bit smoother. Never felt the Axis but I hear there alittle hard to get dialed in.

TwentyBelow131
07-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I like elkas customer service, but have never delt with pep or axis, so I'm not sure.

450r51
07-11-2005, 08:39 PM
i would have to say the works r the best shocks on the market.

haha what am i gay, naw there all good shocks!

300ex-boy
07-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by 450r51
haha what am i gay, naw there all good shocks!

Are you sure you want us to answer that?
:devil: Just Kiddin' :blah:

Like he said, they are all pretty descent, cant go wrong with either.

400ex28
07-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Elka seems to be good :)

jak1389
07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/jak8913/5f684da0.jpg

i like my ohlins. they seem to do pretty well. i have nevrer had any problems.

JR3
07-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Ive ridden all of them the best i feel are Long Travel PEP Big Cans or big bottle. So nice and then i feel axis is second. My friends with elka long travel ride my quad and go wow 10 times better then mine. I ride theirs it just feels stiff as hell no matter how they adjust it just not smooth.

SLAW
07-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I've owned works, and axis... there's no comparing the two!!! I have a few buddies that are sponsored by and race elka, and their fronts feel way to soft no matter where you adjust them and the rear "long travel" are way to hard. I haven't ever rode on pep shocks but I've heard they are about like axis. I currently race a Laeger protrax w/longtravel axis and it did take some time to dial-in... but it was time well spent. I do suspension work on the side and have found that axis is EASY to get parts from but on the other hand elka wants you to send your shocks back to them to be serviced. Elka says" that they don't want anybody screwing up their shocks and giving Elka a bad name" :rolleyes:

roostin_dale
07-14-2005, 08:15 PM
one thing you have to keep in mind when making a post like this, some kids are gunna give you an answer but havent even owned all the shocks, so they will pick the one with their favorite name:rolleyes:

I have owned all 3 of those....PEP's are the best, but i always choose elka, because they are nearly just as good as PEP but have much better customer service...

R3Concepts
07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
one thing you have to keep in mind when making a post like this, some kids are gunna give you an answer but havent even owned all the shocks, so they will pick the one with their favorite name:rolleyes:

I have owned all 3 of those....PEP's are the best, but i always choose elka, because they are nearly just as good as PEP but have much better customer service...

They are almost the same..they are only about a mile apart:D . PEP is the best hands down, outta the box, go huge, go fast, on day one shock on the market no matter what. Wayne is a shock guiness.

mikes450r
07-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
They are almost the same..they are only about a mile apart:D . PEP is the best hands down, outta the box, go huge, go fast, on day one shock on the market no matter what. Wayne is a shock guiness.

if the PEPS are so great like you say then why are you running the LSR/AXIS on your 450 in your sig...lol

mike

R3Concepts
07-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Cause if you knew what I paid for the triple rate fully adj. Axis i have, then you would know why...Selling my PEPs was the biggest mistake Ive made...but I couldnt pass up the fact that someone was going to pay 100 more then retail, and 300 more then we paid for them to have them now. Thats business. But PEP big bottles are on order since you mentioned it:D

400grl
07-15-2005, 06:41 PM
PEP's have alot of competition these days, and it's very GOOD competition. Don't settle for the worst customer service in the industry and the longest wait times if there are other, just as comparable ( if not BETTER) shock manufacturers out there......

I currently have longtravel TCS shocks that are AMAZING. They were in my hands a week and a half after I ordered them, and they are dialed in exactly where they need to be!! Between my husband and I we have ridden everything but WORKS shocks, so we DO have something to compare to. He prefers his TCS shocks over his Axis shocks........

Basically, pick your shock on price, wait times, availability, customer service and looks.......think about what you are looking for and weigh your options. I'm sure you will like what you get, as long as they are set up CORRECTLY.

400sEXridr
07-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Does PEP make a long travel ZPS shock?

R3Concepts
07-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes, they do.