PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle

hondaman4life
07-09-2005, 07:41 PM
i was wondering how a twist throttle would be for my 400ex. i rode my friends with one and i think i like it and i have a dirt bike so im use to it. i was wondewring if theres anyhting bad about them or there good. thanx

QuadRacr57
07-09-2005, 08:27 PM
There are no bad things about or good things, its all just personal preference. I like the thumb throttle because I am so used to it. So go for it if you like it better:blah:

99_300ex
07-10-2005, 12:30 AM
ya its really what you feel most comfortable with i mean i like mine and all but i rode with a thumb for 12 years and this year just switched to a twist so it take a little while to get used to.
Jeremy

07-10-2005, 12:09 PM
the reason why most people think twist on quads are dangerous is because They try to ride like they did with a thumb as soon as they put it on. I love my twist throttle personally its easier to jump and corner.

quading is fun
07-10-2005, 12:55 PM
ya, i like thumb.... but only cause ive been riding snowmobiles since i was like 3-4 and those are thumb throttle... i like the twist throttle too... but i like thumb more... so go with w/e is more comfortable

TheFontMaster
07-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Like everyone else has said it's all personal prefference. My first quad a 300ex, I bought it with a twist throttle and thats what I learned to ride on, so thats what I got used to and I like the twist more than the thumb. I think it is more comfortable, and I feel like it's easier to control.

Iliketogofast
07-11-2005, 11:37 AM
It's almost cosmetic. It doesn't really matter. The twist on my 250R is a dream, way better than the thumb on my EX. It just feelsreally good on a 2 stroke. However, I don't know if I woulda liked it on my four stroke 400EX. Your choice.

Quad Dude
07-12-2005, 09:03 PM
if you are used to it and can ride well with it your choice but to any one whos not use to it either stick to thumb or take it easy for a while because my friend just put a twist on his 450r and a day later fliped it over on a 5th gear wheelie and pretty much totaled his quad. he was all ways good and never had a problem before coud ride wheelies as good as any one never set it back and now can hardly move his arms road rash hurts

bwamos
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
For me personally.

I love twist on MX, Dunes, etc.

Thumb for XC/Woods. When it gets really really rough at high speeds it just hard to work a twist and pretty much hang on / brace with 1 hand. But that's my personal issues.

I'm gonna try out a Split-Twist. Cut the grip in half. Housing and first 3 inches on the twist. Last 3 inches mounted firmly on the bar.

Similar to some of the Mountian Bike shifters.

In theory...... Allows you to use twist but also clamp down when your about to hit some big nasty stuff w/o juicing the throttle at the wrong time.

Also theoretically should be easier to maintain a constant throttle w/o agrivating arm pump as much.

But all theory... in reality it may be the crappiest idea ever conceived.. lol, and may just give you blisters.. lol.

raptorrider686
07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
I prefer thumb throttles, because if your riding and you hit a bump or sumthing and youo holding on the thwist throttle is pretty hard to let go of the gas with out falling off.

Iliketogofast
07-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah man, you're going faster than you would be on a Mtn bike. It's a good idea but it's never gonna happen cause nobody would ever get it right.

JRP
07-14-2005, 06:54 AM
my friend put one on his yfz and he likes it alot.

660WickedRappy
07-14-2005, 11:25 AM
i rode thumb throttles for 10 years, but this rappy used and it had one on it. It was hard to get used to in the bigining, after the first hour of riding its like 2nd nature. Now that im good with it i think its easier to control through the turns and easier to jump with. Some one up above said if you hit a bump your all over the throttle...in the bigining it was like this but after an hour of riding its just as easy if not easier with a twister. but whatever works for you guys, all i know is i will never have another thumb throttle on any of my future quads...first mod im ganna make isa twister