PDA

View Full Version : Rancher engine problems

oynot400
05-30-2002, 10:57 AM
This is a little off the ex motor questions but I hope that someone can help with this problem. A buddy of mine got a 375 kit installed in his Rancher and something is not right. The kit includes new piston, sleeve, cam and all the gaskets and hardware to put it back together. It took six months to get his motor back from the guy that installed it for him.
Here is the problem: it has no power, it only has a little more real low grunt on the very bottom. It is slower going down the road than a stock one. The only thing that seems to be right is that it revs out faster, which is the cam doing its job. All that was done was installing the new sleeve and cam. Then of course rejetting it. We have changed the jet about 4 times now. We started out way too rich and now are back to a stock jetting, which to me does not sound right.
I don't know if it is a timing issue or not since it starts fine.
Any ideas? we are pulling our hair out on this one and it may turn me in to a bigger beer drinker. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
:)

TRX_Thumper
05-30-2002, 02:11 PM
Check timing and valve clearance. Sounds like if your at stock jetting whoever did your motor may have just told you they installed the big bore kit.

oynot400
05-30-2002, 02:17 PM
They had to do something because we have the old sleeve and piston. They claim that they checked the timing but he might have just said that. For some reason the valve lash keeps moving, one day it got real loose so he reset it. Then the next day they got tight, so tight that it would not idle. I don't know what would cause that, but I don't think that is why it has no power. :confused:

TRX_Thumper
05-31-2002, 08:14 AM
First of all check timing. Then check valve clearance. Then do a plug check and check jetting. After you do that and have it jetted correctly you should be seeing big power gains. If your still not seein any power open it up with a K&N and aftermarket silencer atleast get it to breathin easier.

oynot400
05-31-2002, 08:35 AM
He has a Big Gun pipe and UNI filter on it, so flow is not the problem. I have been checking at the High Lifter site, I sounds like timing could be the problem, that or the wrong cam. :confused: I guess the Rancher has some "odd" timing marks so I think that we will check the timing again.
Thanks.