PDA

View Full Version : Career Change !?!?!

Quad18star
07-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Well due to some recent events , I may be required to look for a new job once I'm back on my feet and able to work again . Seems that my Assistant Manager's position has been given to someone else because of the length of time I've been off work . I can't blame the company for filling my position cuz they've held it for me for almost a year and I'm uncertain as to when I can get back to work .

So I have a few choices to make ... go back to college and get a Real Estate degree ... try and get a job with Yamaha here in town ... or go where I know I'm guaranteed a job with Bombardier here in town running their parts department , then maybe advancing to sales ?

Perks of the jobs ...

Real Estate = pretty good $$ ,another diploma , but 2 years of schooling .

Yamaha = working parts , maybe advance to sales , discounts .

Bombardier = Full tiem parts counter , possible sales , allowed to take home the demos on weekends , discounts on products , inside scoops on the newest things comming out .

Which would you choose?
I hate decisions :grr:

Mxjunkie
07-08-2005, 02:27 PM
My mom mom has been in the relastate business for 18 years now, shes a millionaire now. Its deff a good thing to get into but for me I would rather be working at the shops.

Woodsrider
07-08-2005, 02:46 PM
IMO, working at a M/C-ATV dealer is a job not a career. Real estate is a career. There is always good money in Real estate, and another two years of school cant kill you. The choice is yours, but look long term. Where do you want to be (financialy) in fifteen or twenty years?

What ever choice you make, best of luck to you. Im currently unemployeed as well. I got fired when I gave seven weeks notice to my employeer of my intent to return to a job I was previously laid off from. Seems they just couldnt understand why I would want to leave them for a $20k+ a year pay raise :rolleyes:

Pappy
07-08-2005, 02:49 PM
out of those choices id have to agree and say real estate would be the most financially rewarding.

wont be long i too will be making a chioce, buy out the company i have worked for for 15 years or start over.

400grl
07-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I got my real estate license in 3 months here - without ever having taken a college class!! Don't you have real estate schools there? I know people that have done the classes in 6 weeks and gotten their license. If that's what you want to do - then just go to real estate school - get your license and start making money!! :)

Pappy
07-08-2005, 03:16 PM
btw...what is "tundra" bringing nowadays:devil:

Just Listed!
Beautiful .045 acre lot of Tundra. Complete with view of more Tundra in every direction! This will not last long! priced to move!

Be the first in this upscale development. You like gardening? The abundant wildlife will provide all the fertilizer you need! Never worry about a well, the 900 inches of anual snowfall will keep you supplied in ICE!

All for a paltry $82,000!

Disclaimer: we do not accept responsibilty for you getting an arm and leg chewed off by maruding brown bears:blah:

450r51
07-08-2005, 03:30 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha, u still gotta love canada there drinking age is 19!

07-08-2005, 03:32 PM
which ever one makes you the happiest.

400exrules
07-08-2005, 03:35 PM
just whore yourself out lmao

FoxRacing81
07-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Workin at the Bombardier shop sounds most appealing to me....

but...wouldn't make as much money as Real Estate...

Tough decision to make, definatly.

rippin2
07-08-2005, 04:48 PM
real estate and part time at bombardier?..my mom is loaded to from real estate

SGA
07-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Go with something to bring in money now, but long term go with real estate. Work a area that has lots of money moving in.

fasterblaster09
07-08-2005, 11:52 PM
real estate,I know what it is.But is it working for a real estate company,or buying and selling yourself?

250-R-250
07-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Hey man,

Tough decision indeed,

To me there are two ways to look at this,

1) Do what you love. Some people would tell you to choose a career or job that you will like doing.

2) Longterm. Now this is what I would choose, I mean doing what you love is all fine and dandy, but I dont think a job like that is going to last you a good while. Look down the road, how old are you. You plan on having a family or something your probably gunna wish and want to go longterm. Real estate is a promising career at that.

Real estate.

raptor35086
07-09-2005, 04:02 AM
you should become a stripper like me

Atkins
07-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Do the real estate thing in school for 2 years, since your not gonna want to be pushing your leg at all in work, and 2 years down the road when you get out of work your leg will be fine, and youll have a degree.

Just a question, do you enjoy dealing with people? I just know I hate trying to be fake with people so a sales job where id have to sell a product would be tough. Do you enjoy that type of work?

Do what you think youll be happy doing but out of the options, real estate looks the most profitable.

rollie
07-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Atkins
Do the real estate thing in school for 2 years, since your not gonna want to be pushing your leg at all in work, and 2 years down the road when you get out of work your leg will be fine, and youll have a degree.

Just a question, do you enjoy dealing with people? I just know I hate trying to be fake with people so a sales job where id have to sell a product would be tough. Do you enjoy that type of work?

Do what you think youll be happy doing but out of the options, real estate looks the most profitable.

haha im good at that, i can make anything appealing

id go with the bombardier deal, i mean, sure real estate will bring in the big bucks, but if you dont enjoy yyour job its worthless, but if you like real estate than go for it!! but IMO workin at a shop would be the best:cool:

Hon300ex
07-09-2005, 10:11 AM
what degree would u have to get to work at a yamaha or bombardier? like parts or sales? id rather do that then work in the real estate buisness becuz working with quads would be more enjoyable.....and u would still make money jus not as much as real estate.....

07-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Your still a young guy (22) i say you do what you like to do, if its working with ATV's or Bikes at a shop, do that and make some cash while you do you get your real estate license.

Like i said your young, you will most probably change your mind again in later years...

I know i studied Architecture and Worked for a huge architectural firm in Miami for 9 years, then the stress just got to me with that job although in the beginning it was what i really wanted to do.

Now i own a Shipping and Trucking Agency... So there you have it you never know where life will take you, just do what you like and what will make you money to survive keep you living well.

No. 1 thing you need to learn if you havent already is never live beyond your means and learn to save for the future.

I believe my signature says it all.

Tommy 17
07-09-2005, 12:17 PM
why don't you use the engineering degree u have already???

theres so many things u can become with an engineering degree and u can make a killing!:huh

Quad18star
07-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
why don't you use the engineering degree u have already???

theres so many things u can become with an engineering degree and u can make a killing!:huh

Engineering just wasn't for me . Althought I love to look at how buildings are made , I just can't see myself not having a clue where I might be working the following month . Engineers are always on the move .

Thanks for all the replies.

86350x
07-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Shoulda went back to work anyways like I told you too. Real estate only works if people are buying houses.

In other words, leave that one be for now.

I guess bombardier sounds like the best one outa those 3. I'd talk to Royal Dist. first though.

07-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Engineering just wasn't for me . Althought I love to look at how buildings are made , I just can't see myself not having a clue where I might be working the following month . Engineers are always on the move .

Thanks for all the replies.

Same here, but i was fortunate to land in a big firm so i didnt have to be moving around....

Bad part was, the firm was so big, Projects was coming in so fast at the time, everything was on Crunch time, and after 9 years of constantly racking your brain you kind of get a meltdown.....

I actually started out doing just CAD inputs, then Building design, some of the other engineers brought me in and the next thing i know i doing everyones work, Design, mechanical, electrical, hvac and fire protection, and still getting paid for basic Building design.

Left the company once around 5 years because i couldnt deal with doing the work of 4 engineers and getting the pay of 1, after some negotiations they asked me to come back at a much higher pay and doing just Mechanical(hvac) and electrical, plumbing.

Probably the best year i had with the company that was actually relaxing is when we finished design the new concourse for Miami International Airport and they put me as Project co-ordinator in the field because it was Design/Build.....

Engineering all in all is very good paying, but you can only do it for so long before you have to take a break, especially if every project has to be done Yesterday.

Quad18star
07-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by DierWolf
Same here, but i was fortunate to land in a big firm so i didnt have to be moving around....

Bad part was, the firm was so big, Projects was coming in so fast at the time, everything was on Crunch time, and after 9 years of constantly racking your brain you kind of get a meltdown.....

I actually started out doing just CAD inputs, then Building design, some of the other engineers brought me in and the next thing i know i doing everyones work, Design, mechanical, electrical, hvac and fire protection, and still getting paid for basic Building design.

Left the company once around 5 years because i couldnt deal with doing the work of 4 engineers and getting the pay of 1, after some negotiations they asked me to come back at a much higher pay and doing just Mechanical(hvac) and electrical, plumbing.

Probably the best year i had with the company that was actually relaxing is when we finished design the new concourse for Miami International Airport and they put me as Project co-ordinator in the field because it was Design/Build.....

Engineering all in all is very good paying, but you can only do it for so long before you have to take a break, especially if every project has to be done Yesterday.

Most of my college profs worked with large firms before becoming teachers . Just liek you , they got fed up with doing the work of 4 guys and only getting paid for 1 , so they became teachers . LOL

I enjoyed some of the safety and engineering testing parts of the program , and if I got a job as an inspector to something I'd probably enjoy it , but for me to stand out on a job site in the pouring rain or when my nads are nearly frozen solid and I'm trying to do calculations , well that just ain't for me . :ermm:

HondaEXrider22
07-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by MX610EX
Workin at the Bombardier shop sounds most appealing to me....

but...wouldn't make as much money as Real Estate...

Tough decision to make, definatly.

same here

07-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Well i wasnt out in the field, i was in the office clicking away in Cad LOL....

just before i quite i got the job to oversee the design being built, it was a welcomed change to the 10 hour number crunching, screen gazing, Code book page turning day.

Left the company making 105k per year but i was just worn the hell out (mentally)....

Moved back to the caribbean, opened 3 internet cafe's, advertised the hell out of them and got investors / buyers interested and sold all 3 for 10x the amount :)

Now i'm just Laaaiiddd Back, sippin my jin and juice :) while my people run.

wvspeedfreak
07-11-2005, 07:19 PM
My wife got into real eastate about 4 years ago and there is definately money to be made in that field.However,you have to be very dedicated and willing to put in ALOT of hours,especially on weekends when most people want to look at property because they are off work.Also,especially when you are starting out it may be a little unnerving as far as your pay goes.You may spend 6 weeks showing property to people every day and not write a contract and then you might sell 3 places in a week.It makes it kind of hard to budget your finances at first because there is no set salary that you are guranteed to bring home each week like you have at a regular job.
Since my wife started working as a realtor she has progressed up the ladder to being a broker and just recently opened up her own business being licensed in 2 states.Her hard work is paying off but definately be prepared for some bumps in the road(especially at the beginning) just like with anything else.
Sorry for the long post,just trying to share my experience in this field.
As a side note: I have been an automotive technitian for 16 years and am getting a little burnt out on that.I am trying to decide on a career change myself.

400exrules
07-12-2005, 12:53 AM
if all else fails, enlist yourself and join the service

07-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
if all else fails, enlist yourself and join the service he's in canada....they don't even have a service I think. When terror strikes they just cry

Quad18star
07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
he's in canada....they don't even have a service I think. When terror strikes they just cry

:rolleyes:

Terror doesn't strike , we know how to keep our nose out of other peoples business !!!

07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
LOL, dont worry, people dont mess with people that dont mess with them :)

hope you get my point.