PDA

View Full Version : Ball joints for lsr a arms

TheFontMaster
07-08-2005, 12:03 PM
I need to know what ball joints I can use for my Lone Star Racing a arms. They are +2+1 standard travel, and there are no adjustments on them. I was told a part number for some automotive tie rod ends off a mazda pickup that would work, I ordered one and it came in yesterday and it doesn't work. I reall would hate having to spend all the money that LSR wants for thier ball joints if I can get some much cheeper. Heres a pic of the a arms if it will help at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture074.jpg

jak1389
07-08-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117743

hope this is what your lookgn for.

TheFontMaster
07-08-2005, 12:23 PM
The ford courier and mazda B-6100 truck are the same part number and it didn't work for me.

jak1389
07-08-2005, 12:30 PM
what didnt work about the balljoints?

CannondaleRider
07-08-2005, 01:28 PM
I thing GM truck tie rod ends work on lsr arms, at least on Cannondale lsr arms they do

velocityatv
07-08-2005, 01:31 PM
71-79 VW SUPER BEETLE -OUTER TIE ROD END-
-OR-
71 - 79 VW REGULAR BEETLE IF IT HAS A GEAR BOX SYSTEM INSTEAD OF A RACK AND PINION

BOUGHT THESE FROM NAPA AND OREILLY'S LOT'S OF TIMES. THERE IDENTICAL TO THE ONES I'VE ORDERED FROM BURGARD TO REPLACE MY OLD ONE'S. I EVEN USE TO BUY THEM FROM NAPA AND SELL THEM ON EBAY ( WITHOUT THE PACKAGING OF COURSE ) SORRY I DON'T HAVE A NUMBER.....RIGHT NOW I'M AT WORK. ALL YOU'LL NEED ARE SOME WASHERS FOR THE UPPER SO THAT YOU CAN ADJUST THE CAMBER. DON'T WORRY EITHER ABOUT IT LOOKING GETTO THEY ARE THE IDENTICAL THING THAT MOST A-ARM BUILDERS SELL YOU. THEY JUST PUT THEM IN THERE OWN BOX OR BUY BULK DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER

Pappy
07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Lsr and Burgard ball joints are of different diameter and are only interchangable on really really old LSR arms.

TheFontMaster
07-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by jak1389
what didnt work about the balljoints?

The part that would go in the hole in the a arm was too big.

Pappy
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
those arms appear to be burgard, not lsr.

TheFontMaster
07-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
those arms appear to be burgard, not lsr.

Heres some better pics of the a arms, and the ball joint. Can you tell me for shure if they are burgard? Sorry about the big pics the program I use to resize them is hit or miss.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture217.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/fonty/Picture215.jpg

Pappy
07-08-2005, 04:11 PM
im pretty sure you have yourself a set of burgard arms that someone slapped a LSR sticker on.

no biggie, but id be talking to the dude that sold you something different then what you paid for.

TheFontMaster
07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
im pretty sure you have yourself a set of burgard arms that someone slapped a LSR sticker on.

no biggie, but id be talking to the dude that sold you something different then what you paid for.

Yea I ran across a set of Burgards on ebay, and they look the same as what I have. I don't really care that they are different, they are still quality a arms. I think the guy I got them from thought the same thing I did. I'm pritty shure he got them from someone else, then sold them soon after.

So I still need to know if there are any cheeper ball joints, or automotive tie rod ends that I can use.

Pappy
07-08-2005, 06:50 PM
i will try and find the moog part# so you can grab up a set

TheFontMaster
07-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks ken. I'm glad I finaly almost have this front end figured out. I've been waiting to atatch the spindles, hubs and tie rods for quite a while now.

TheFontMaster
07-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Anyone find the part number?

velocityatv
07-10-2005, 07:49 PM
moog part number is an ES419R I have them on my Burgard a-arms. Double check tho when I was buying and sellin them they were changing there castings and the new style would be a lot weaker.

Rich250RRacer
07-10-2005, 09:22 PM
If they are Lonestar arms, the Moog number is ES3045RL, this is what I've run for years in my Lonestar arms. These are tie rod ends for an 89-98 Geo Tracker. I work in a parts store and have covered everything in the spec section of the Moog book and these seem to work the best.

TheFontMaster
07-10-2005, 09:27 PM
They are Burgard.

TheFontMaster
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by velocityatv
moog part number is an ES419R I have them on my Burgard a-arms. Double check tho when I was buying and sellin them they were changing there castings and the new style would be a lot weaker.

How would I know if they are the old or new style ball joints? And would I be able to still get the old style ones. One more question, is the new casting so much weaker that it would be unsafe to put them on my quad?

velocityatv
07-12-2005, 09:00 AM
The old casting will look identical to the ones you had in the pics above. On the newer castings they narrowed the diameter of the material between the threads and the socket portion of the ball joint. Just by looking at it I didn't want to try it. Also if you run into troubles trying this route, check on ebay. There was another guy other than me that was selling them as a set. His price was a just a hair more than reasonable, but if you run into a wall trying to get your hands on that number I gave ya he might still be cheaper than Burgard. I'll check my local shop and see if they got any, just in case.

TheFontMaster
07-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Ok thank you.