PDA

View Full Version : Fan for oil cooler

PsychoDave
05-30-2002, 10:06 AM
What are your opinions on a fan for the oil cooler. They can be aquired for under 50 bucks. I was thinking....put a switch by my key (on/off) and when doing woods riding or if I think it is getting hot...turn it on! I was thinking of putting it behind the cooler so that fresh air will still be able to pass from front (of course i would have to fabricate some mounting brackets) Any ideas

05-30-2002, 10:10 AM
i really do not think that you need a fan. If you want to keep it cooler get an oversize oil tank or mickey dunlop's secondary oil cooler. at least that's my opinion.

Wheelie
05-30-2002, 10:34 AM
If you're worried about cooling, buy yourself a Pingry's oil tank.

I've been toying with the idea of cutting holes in the front plastic, below the headlight, to direct more air to the oil cooler. It wouldn't help much at low speeds, but it would cool the quad down quicker once speed picked up.

The stock setup doesn't allow much air to flow through the oil cooler, I guess that what the OMF air scoops are made for.

PsychoDave
05-30-2002, 10:53 AM
this would be in addition to a pingry tank and air scoops. its just an idea!

05-30-2002, 11:00 AM
i don't think you need to do this and i don't think it will not help much. But hey what ever you want to do go luck with it.

ranger400ex
05-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Try it and see how it works. Need to find a good puller fan, lightweight, and you probably will have to upgrade the factory stator to handle the load, unless you want to run out of juice quickly. Check with Ricky Stator on the rewind, or locally at an alternator rebuild shop. Local shop here did it for 20 bills carry in.
Good luck!!

BMW