PDA

View Full Version : racing quad "almost" complete

Razorback
05-30-2002, 08:25 AM
well, since i've gotten into mx racing, i've been ordering and installing many new parts to convert from a woods quad to an mx quad. i've put on new front shocks, +2 a-arms, bearing carrier, lock nut, rear 18 inch tires (wider offset rims), air scoops, handlebars, kill switch, another other small things.

i'm still waiting on front tires and an extended lsr axle, but i went to the track last night after just recently putting on the new rear tires and the a-arms. i know this will get even better with the axle and tires, but all i can say is *wow* what a difference in handling with the combination of the shocks, a-arms and smaller/low profile rear tires. the handling is soooo much better, and the elka shocks are fantastic. it's hard to believe how good the changes are until you actually get to experience them.

one question i have, though. i didn't change my front sprocket, and don't intend to, but did anybody who is running the smaller tires find it a little strange to get used to basically running a higher gear than normal? for example, i'm having to hit jumps in 4th gear that i used to hit in 3rd gear. not a big problem, just going to take me a little while to get used to.

also, i talked to a local pro rider last night, and he actually recommended dropping yet another tooth on the front to be able to use the entire set of gears, because i never hit 5th (at least on this practice track). any thoughts on this? are any of you running a 14t sprocket with 18 inch rears.

anyway, i've got a race this weekend, and i'm going to be stuck running 22 inch fronts, because my new fronts aren't going to be in until next week :( but, my axle should be here today or tomorrow, hopefully.

[edit] sorry for the long post...

ChadEXer
05-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Bring that thing down to longview for the $1000 drag races at the end of next month!!

05-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Hey Razor,,I know the feeling your talkin about,,pretty weird the first time out. To make up some of the difference in gearing I put a 36 tooth on the rear and left the front stock and I really like this setup compared to stock gearing. I've also heard running a 14/36 is a good setup but then ya gotta take links out of the chain and all the crap. I did not like the 14 tooth up front with stock 38 in back,,,I pretty much hated it..you pretty much turn your quad into a 4 speed when goin to a 14 up front and 18 inch tires on the back....You completely loose 1st gear.

Razorback
05-30-2002, 04:20 PM
chad - i may come down and watch if time allows, but this is certainly not a drag machine :D

rico - thanks for the tip. i like the idea of changing the rear sprocket. i've already bought a new chain because the stock one is pretty close to being stretched. do you have a recommendation on brand of sprocket?

by the way, i just received my lsr axle today. i love the way it feels and looks. i did have a beeyatch of a time getting one of the hubs on, though. the right side went on perfect, but the left wouldn't budge without a little *assistance* (used a piece of wood and rubber mallet to force it on). i know it wasn't the hub's fault, because i tried both of them. i read in another thread where a guy had a problem with the splines being a little too big on his and he grinded it a little. i'm guessing mine was the same way. oh well, hopefully i didn't hurt anything, but i can't wait to feel the ride with the extended width :)

OCCRA288
05-30-2002, 04:22 PM
What class are you running @ Greenville? I'll be in Open 4 stroke

Nausty
05-30-2002, 07:27 PM
nice sig;)

Razorback
05-30-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by OCCRA288
What class are you running @ Greenville? I'll be in Open 4 stroke

i'm running amateur and open 4 stroke. it's only my second race, but i have been practicing and have made many mods to the quad, so hopefully i will do better. first goal for me is to be safe and not try to ride above my ability. i've been told they've made some changes that make the track a little safer. apparently, they had a nasty section where you landed from a double, then had only a few feet before taking a sharp curve with a big tree at the edge of the track. several bad wrecks happened there, so they changed it, at least i've been told that.

i'll be in a chevy silverado 2500 4x4 pulling a red open trailer. let me know what you're driving and we can meet.

nausty - thanks :D

Razorback
05-31-2002, 07:41 AM
bump...

rico - i like your sprocket tip. any suggestion on brand and where to buy? thx...

05-31-2002, 09:16 AM
I just ordered the cheapest sprocket marcums could get me and it was a SunStar,,,I think it cost around $35. But I had to loosen the axle to get the sprocket on there,,it wouldn't slide over the sprocket hub...so before ya chrow that axle on there..if your thinkin about getting the 36 tooth,,do it all at one time to save yourself a headache if possible. For small MX tracks with lots of turns stock gearing is the way to go..most tracks I go to have some open staight away's with wide turns so I don't have to worry about being a gear high and boggin the motor. But having motorwork and a lightened flywheel I can almost come to a stop goin into corners in 3rd gear and just hammer the throttle and she starts ta honk then..:D

Razorback
05-31-2002, 09:49 AM
cool. thanks for the response. very good information.

400exRacerX
05-31-2002, 03:08 PM
I had to do the same thing with my Moose rear sprocket,,,, it wouldnt slide over the sprocket hub so I had to take the axle off to get the sprocket on. I finally found a sprocket that will fit over the sprocket hub. Rebel gears sprockets fits over the hub. I just busted the sawzall out and hacked the old one off instead of pulling the axle! What a pain!