PDA

View Full Version : Drag race... 01 CR125 vs. 03 Raptor who wins?

KillerBee
07-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Well I haven't had my 2003 Raptor running a full day yet and my 15 year old son is already talking smack:devil:
He says his 2001 CR 125 will dust my 2003 Raptor in a drag race.
We're gonna take the toys out saturday to see how well my new Raptor runs.

Here's the breakdown:

2001 Honda CR 125
Bone stock
15 year old 160lb. rider
Had it about a year, fairly good at riding and shifting it but not a pro. I think he's still a little afraid of it :blah:

2003 660 Raptor
Bone stock
40 year old rider, 240lb.:D
I've been riding dirtbikes, streetbikes, and ATV's for about 35 years now.
I used to compete at the local motocross tracks back in the day and run 10 second street bikes at the drag strip.
I still race my stick shift musclcars at the strip.
For an old man I can still ride and powershift with the best of them.

There's a pretty long, flat dirt road where we ride so I think I'll be able to get the Raptor wound out in top gear for a spell.
I'm thinking that the CR might get out in front of me but by 3rd or 4th the big raptor will catch and pass the CR.
Ive ridden the CR often and IMO it is quick off the line but runs out of steam and doesn't have much for top speed.
The Raptor IS going to carrying quite a bit more weight on it though.
I'm sure my son is gonna want to switch machines and race the Raptor against me on the CR. I'm not afraid to wring the CR out either so maybe I can go 2 and 0?
We'll see
;)

MR.BIG
07-08-2005, 02:28 PM
You should be able to take him if not swerve into his lane and then you will definately win. The raptor should have a little more topend then him!

BushManRebel
07-08-2005, 04:39 PM
He is your son you will probably let him win.:D

YFZ450Ridr
07-08-2005, 09:47 PM
my friends raced on thier yz250 and 450r geared down 1 tooth on the front sproket and they were dead even. the guy on the yz weighs like 230 guy on the 450 weighs like 160. i think you will be able to take him even though he has the weight advantage:p

BushManRebel
07-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I met a guy yesterday with a Z400 and he tried to talk smack with me also that it can beat my raptor...I said lets race quad for quad...then he kept quiet :D

MadDog56
07-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Raced a stock 02 raptor and a piped rm125 bike the other day. Raptor was faster after 2nd gear on the road.

MotoX3
07-09-2005, 10:53 AM
ive lined up with my buddies worked 426ex....we were pretty close...just called it even.....and assuming a raptor would be faster on top end...id say the rappy will win

KillerBee
07-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Well we took the toys out today to test run the 03 Raptor I just bought and to see if my son's CR 125 was as bad as he thinks it is.
That little CR certainly is a quick little noisemaker jumping out at first but once the big Raptor got wound up it blew right past the CR. We raced about 5 times with the same result every time.
We switched bikes and I pushed the CR to it's limit getting a good holeshot on the Raptor but the Raptor eventually caught and passed me also.
This was racing on a very smooth and flat dirt road that was over a mile long. Once we got into the tight woods it was a different story.
The CR 125 is definitely a race bike, if you ride it HARD through the woods keeping it in it's powerband it will dust most any atv out there, especially in the tight woods where a bigger, heavier, and wider ATV can't make it around the trees and rocks. The CR is very light and handles and brakes very well.
I had a chance to race a few Z400s, other Raptors, 400ex's, Banshee's and even an old Suzuki 500 Quadzilla, there wasn't an ATV there that would hang with the CR in the tight woods.
Unfortunately I don't have the stamina to run the CR HARD for more than 10-15 minutes before I'm beat and need a rest.
The CR isn't as fun to just puttt around through the woods because it needs to be run hard to keep it up in it's powerband or it will bog.
I'll take my Raptor, it has good torque and you can lug it around slowly or run it hard. I also enjoy the electric start and reverse.

This was my son's first time riding a Raptor, he loved it!
He ended up riding the Raptor for most of the day leaving me to ride the CR, boy that thing really tired this old man out.

At the end of the day my son told me he would like to sell or trade his CR and find either another Raptor or a Z400 for him to ride.
We had a great time but boy am I tired.
:D

07-10-2005, 06:42 PM
i beat yfz450s all the time on my 250f, the raptor doesnt stand a chance unless its a really long striaght

Robin Hood
07-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
You should be able to take him if not swerve into his lane and then you will definately win. The raptor should have a little more topend then him!

Lol. Make sure not to hit him, he is your son. :p

07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
u should buy the new 700 and give him ur 660

Blown 331
07-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
i beat yfz450s all the time on my 250f, the raptor doesnt stand a chance unless its a really long striaght

You beat YFZ450's on a 4 stroke 250cc bike? Something is not right there.