PDA

View Full Version : adjusting timing

Ehsan
07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
can I adjust the timing on a 400ex without removing the tensioner or cam. just by turning the tensioner in and then turnig the sprocket with the chain on it?

cals400ex
07-07-2005, 11:46 PM
you need to buy an adjustable cam sprocket first. then you would need to degree it in.

Ehsan
07-08-2005, 12:44 AM
sorry I was'nt clear.
What I meant was can I line up the marks on the cam sprocket w/ the top of the head while it's all assembled just by releasing the tension on the tensioner allowing me to move the cam and sprocket freely. or does that throw off the timing?
or should I not be able to move the cam and sprocket?
meaning I got a streached cam chain.
When I do this the T mark on the fly wheel stays lined up w/ the notch.

bwamos
07-08-2005, 07:46 AM
If you release the tension, you can usually move the timing 1-2 teeth at a time. The tensioner shouldnt affect the timing. The chain is pulled from the non-tensioner side. Just make sure theres no slack in the front when lining up the marks.

jhoppa
07-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I believe you need an adjustable spocket. GT Thunder has them.

Timing is measured in tenths and hundredths, moving one tooth on the spocket would put it way out of lack.

Degree wheel or dail indicator in the spark plug will be needed in order for accurate measurement.

Why do you want to mess with your timing?

Ehsan
07-08-2005, 09:53 PM
turns out the chain came off the drive sprocket so I fixed that and now she runs like a champ
Thanks for the help
it's very much appreciated!!!