PDA

View Full Version : Tcs

Wired
05-30-2002, 07:22 AM
TCS shocks, these any good? im looking to get new shocks for my brothers R and we already bought houser +2+1 arms and we just need shocks now. let me know if TCS is worth the money. why and why not. thanks boys

Lasher
05-30-2002, 09:51 AM
I have the older style (1/2 inch shaft) TCS on my R. The fronts are Works, converted to the TCS and the rear is an Ohlin converted to TCS. The front are dual rate and the rear is single rate.

I have no complaints at all with the shocks. But, these are the only shocks I have had on the R, so my comparison is limited.

The thing that I (and others that have them as well) have found is that they seem stiff when riding slow over bumps, but the faster you go, the better they work. One of the tracks that I race on is Southwick MA. It becomes a whooped out mess by the end of the day. I have found that my skill level (rather comfort level) still will not surpass the shocks on the bumps.

Another thing that I (and others) have noticed is the landings from the jumps. When I come down off a jump, the quad squats down and I can immediately get back on the throttle. No bouncing or anything funny. Just lands and squats.

After the first season, I changed the arms to +2 and had the shocks revalved. They lasted me all last season and so far this season without any problems.

trx400ex
05-30-2002, 11:00 AM
the new ones cost just as much as pep zps,,, and alot of people will tell you which is the better in thier opinion

Wired
05-30-2002, 03:27 PM
well lets just say i can pick up a pair with about 8 hours on them for 550, thats why im thinking about these TCS shocks, otherwise i'd be stuck with Works, so actually elka is more less out of the question for the amount of money i can afford, and i want fully adjustable shocks, thats why elkas are out, they cost an arm and a leg for what i want. any more info would be great guys. thanks for the posts already :macho

Lasher
05-30-2002, 03:33 PM
The adjustments that I have are:

Fronts are Compression (remote ressy) and preload.
Rears are preload, rebound and compression (remote ressy as well)

But then mine are converted shocks.

TCS makes triple rate fronts as well as dual. Rears are still only dual or single.

trx400es -
I never said that TCS was the best out there. I actually said that I have nothing to compare them to. I like them and it was well worth the conversion cost. I actually never rode my R on them before the conversion. I just said that I was happy with them, and others that have them as well are pleased too.

NJ300ex
05-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Get them if they are the new TCS. They have the same bodies and everything as Elkas but just different valving wich may be superior for mx. Definatley get them.

Mity Mo
05-30-2002, 06:03 PM
I highly reccommend them. Mo:D

MX MadMann
05-30-2002, 10:35 PM
i have the new style TCS tripple rate fronts w/ remote res. they are awesome. well worth the 850 bux i payed for them. they stick when i want them to and dont when i dont. they soad up everything that i can throw at them whenever i want them to.

honda_racer199
05-31-2002, 10:49 AM
I've got the triple rate fronts with remote resy's and 0 pre's and in the back I've got the dual rate 0 pre conversion in the rear, and these shocks are great, but like someone said the faster you go the better they feel, rides like a cadillac!:D

krazykurtk
05-31-2002, 11:34 AM
I bought mine this year used (TCS dual rates; comp adj only, no rebound). They had roughly 10 races on them. What a world of difference compared to stock. They are rebuildable, so if you can get them used and you don't have to have new springs put on and have them revalved for your personal set-up, I'd say it would be worth it to buy them. I think it's like $150 to have them rebuilt (change shock oil & have them cleaned). They guy I bought them from bought a new set of Elka triple rates and he said they don't corner as nice as the TCS shocks.

Lasher
05-31-2002, 12:01 PM
A few friends of mine brought their dual rate fronts in to get serviced. While there, the shocks were converted to triple rates as well, and it was pretty cheap.

I heard that you should not run triple fronts without at least a dual rear, so I am sticking with the dual up fronts since my rear cannot be made into a dual rate shock. Something to do with the length.

Wired
05-31-2002, 12:49 PM
hey thanks lasher, i was always wondering about that, if tripple rates would be good to ride with a rear stock rebuilt shock. maybe i'll just get them duel rates fully adjustables and sometime later on conver the rear to dual and fronts to tripple.

Lasher
05-31-2002, 01:30 PM
You can get the stock rear converted to dual on a 400ex, but not the 250R shock. There is something with the length.

Now that triple/dual thing is just something I read/heard. it had to do with the balance of the front/rear shocks. Where the fronts would have a lot of sag and a completely different spring rate/ratio compared to the rear. Not sure if it is true.

Luckily a local bike shock guy deals with TCS. He is an "authorized" TCS shock guy. So I just run the shocks up to him for a revalve or refresh.

06-10-2002, 08:47 PM
the TCS shock is an elka shock,but the TCS is more cheap because he use no dyno and the hydraulic of shock is not the same. ELKA is the best

Nausty
06-10-2002, 09:43 PM
do you work for elka or something?

MX MadMann
06-11-2002, 05:32 AM
TCS is an elka shock hmmm. last time i checked , the TCS shocks have been being made for lets see A LONG FRIGGEN TIME. and the elkas are relativly new. hmm.

Lasher
06-11-2002, 07:36 AM
From my understanding...

Pre Elka days, TCS used works bodies (1/2 inch shaft) to build their "new" shocks. Rebuilds used the current bodies.

After Elka came out, TCS used Elka bodies (5/8 shafts) to build their "new" shocks. Rebuilds still use current bodies.

If you look at all the top name shocks, most of the bodies and parts are similar. What makes each shock different is the valving and type of valving (ball or shimm) used.