PDA

View Full Version : 400ex timing probem!!!!!

Ehsan
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
any one ever have a prblem w/ the cam sprocket marks and the fly wheel marks not staying in sink. this is happeng to me I recently did a rebuild and stripped out head cover bolts so I went back and fixed those and now when I put it all back together it wont start. took it back apart and the timing was off , so I adjusted it by taking the cam out and lining every thing up again. then timing goes ot again when I line up the notches on cam sprocket and flywheel notches put the tensioner back on and every thing I rotate the the flywheel and the cam goes out of sink again!!!!!!!! did this about five times same thing happens every time are the fly wheel notches and the cam sprocket nocthes supposed to sink up every rotation of the notches or every certain amount? if so how many rotations.
rebuilt engine ran fine until I took it back apart for head cover bolts
w/ the timing off commpresion is at 50psi what is a 440 suppose to be at? sombody who knows what they're talking about please give me some things to trouble shoot:ermm: 11:1 w/ old stage 2 hotcam

jhoppa
07-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Are you sure the timing chain did not come off the sprocket on the crank???? That would cause a bunch of problems.

03blownupex
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Make sure you have the timing set exact with the tensioner in place. I had the same problem and to run you need a compression of at least 90 or more but most like should be like 115 or something relatively close.

chad502ex
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
the timing marks align with the crank at tdc, the lobes facing down, and the tensioner removed. with the tensioner in place the marks will be slightly off

Ehsan
07-08-2005, 09:55 PM
turns out the chain came off the drive sprocket so I fixed that and now she runs like a champ
Thanks for the help
it's very much appreciated!!!
special thanks to jhoppa u were right on the money bro.

jhoppa
07-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I have had my head off multiple times within the past month. Practice makes perfect...

I actually dreamed about it one night. Glad you got it solved.