PDA

View Full Version : MYSTO Camshaft

HRDCOR23
07-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Has anyone tried one of these cams out? Can I get an overall perfomance review?

chad502ex
07-07-2005, 06:51 AM
I personally havn't tried this camshaft, but a few of my closest have and they think it's the best top end overall. I have not seen any data to support that, but these ppl would know cause, well, they have their own dyno and ride time to test them on.

I run the Mega X2 and have been real satified with the overall hit it gives. The x2 is similiar timing to HRC only bigger lift. Yes, there are bigger cams out there, but lifespan on valves-train is harder to maintain on bigger cams (like X1, X3 and Mysto and Johnson). All four of these require serious installation modifications to get them to fit. The X2 does not require cam tower mods, just had to sink the guides a bit. The other four require cam tower mods, guides sunk, serious springs and titanium retainers.

Let us know what you get and what performance you get.

Hope this helps.

Chad502ex.com

TRXDresh
07-07-2005, 09:09 AM
What do you mean by cam tower mods?

chad502ex
07-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by TRXDresh
What do you mean by cam tower mods?

if the cam lobes are too big then the cam is not considered "drop-in" any longer and the valve guides and/or cam tower needs modified to install the cam.

Cam tower mod is where you provide clearance for the cam lobes to swing around without the lobes dragging the base of the tower before the lobes push on the intake buckets. Usually involves removing a small bit of metal at the base of the tower to clear the lobes. Be sure to remove enough metal to allow for thermal expansion of the tower and lobes after warmup.

ky04450r
07-07-2005, 10:28 AM
What is the performance difference between the cam you run and the others that you listed? Does a hrc cammed bike stand a chance with a bike modded with one of these cams? the reason I ask is because I have the hrc cam, 13:1 je piston, ported head, 40mm fcr, crf ignition, sparks pipe, and my local engine builder swears by the x3 just wanted someone else's thoughts

chad502ex
07-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ky04450r
What is the performance difference between the cam you run and the others that you listed? Does a hrc cammed bike stand a chance with a bike modded with one of these cams? the reason I ask is because I have the hrc cam, 13:1 je piston, ported head, 40mm fcr, crf ignition, sparks pipe, and my local engine builder swears by the x3 just wanted someone else's thoughts

ok- i'm not sure if you wanted my opinion or someone "else's" opinion. :confused:

But, if you want my opinion here it is- if not disregard.

The performance difference between my x2 cam and the HRC is great enough in that the design of the x2 cam timing was duplicated from HONDAs precise hrc cam timing, but improved on by adding a larger lift to to the x2. Larger lift cams can assist in keeping the valves open further to pull a larger charge into the engine.

Comparing the x2 to the other four is difficult because the overlap of the x2 to the other four is about 15 degrees less. The larger the overlap of the cam the more top end the cam has and the least bottom end it has. the x2 overlap is really between all the cams offered but maintaining the significant lift of the large overlap cams. Kinda like the best of both worlds without the negative aspects of one..

These cams will out perform and HRC mod-for-mod on top end. The X3 is freeg'n radical. I was going to run the x3 cam, but i'm happy with what i have. ;) IMO: the X3 would be better for drag, and the x1 would be better for TT.

hope this helps.

chad502ex.com

ky04450r
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
yes, your opinion is the one i was looking for. does the cam tower have to be modified to use the x1? i have been running flat track and tt and i am looking for some mods that are worth the money. the longest tracks i run on are 1/2 mile, but that is only twice a year. my bike ran great on the 1/2 miles, but i think it needs a little more. there is an engine builder in my home town that wants to put a mega cycle cam in my engine but you have to cut on the cam tower and use different springs and guides and he won't provide any info on the cam he wont tell any specs, just that it is going to be 780.00 installed.

sampleez
07-07-2005, 01:19 PM
where in KY are you?

chad502ex
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ky04450r
yes, your opinion is the one i was looking for. does the cam tower have to be modified to use the x1? i have been running flat track and tt and i am looking for some mods that are worth the money. the longest tracks i run on are 1/2 mile, but that is only twice a year. my bike ran great on the 1/2 miles, but i think it needs a little more. there is an engine builder in my home town that wants to put a mega cycle cam in my engine but you have to cut on the cam tower and use different springs and guides and he won't provide any info on the cam he wont tell any specs, just that it is going to be 780.00 installed.

X1 cam specs can be obtained from megacycle.com.

X1 cams purchased from megacycle for $300.00.
stiffened springs and tops ~$200.00.
adjustable cam sprocket from Webcam $30.00.
valve shims ~20.00.
----------------------------------
~$550.00 in parts

labor he seems to be charging to set guides, install cam, adjust valve lash, and degree in cam,
------------------------------------------
~$230.00.

$230.00 seems like a bunch- i should start charging that for my cam installs,... ;)

04'400ex'er
07-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Is the megacycle X2 a drop in cam? It might have been answered already but i didnt notice it. and the X2 out performs the hrc cam. sounds like that would be the way to go, if, it is a drop in. when I get my 450 thats probably what i will install.

Got nads?
07-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey Chad402EX, I'm no mechanic, but won't a a cam with a larger lift say then the HRC technically lower your overall engine compression? Just a question.:cool:

honda350r
07-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Need some cams ?

mikes450r
07-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
Need some cams ?

you collect all the stock cams off ebay...lol

J/K mike

cals400ex
07-08-2005, 12:09 AM
whats the lonely 400ex cam doing with that batch???

:p ;)

chad502ex
07-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Is the megacycle X2 a drop in cam? It might have been answered already but i didnt notice it. and the X2 out performs the hrc cam. sounds like that would be the way to go, if, it is a drop in. when I get my 450 thats probably what i will install.

the x2 is not considered a drop in, but it is easy enough to get it to fit.

One point that ppl should not forget is that if you buy a megacycle cam for the trx- you'll get a timing card for a crf. Physically, the crf and the trx are the same cam, but the stroke on the trx is slightly longer than the crf; so, the piston position will be slightly different in the trx then the crf. In other words, be sure to clay in for valve to piston clearances on any stroke combination larger than trx stock stroke.

Got nads?, no, not static compression.

plkmonster2
07-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
whats the lonely 400ex cam doing with that batch???

:p ;)

LOL, I saw that too cals... He must install new cams..

cals400ex
07-10-2005, 01:01 AM
he just knows the 400's are faster....