PDA

View Full Version : Broke collarbone

ZRider400
07-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Well i broke my collar bone a week ago...this really sucks.

1 part of it is over lapping the other part, and leaves a huge bump on my shoulder... Doctor says i dont need surgery, and that it will heal fine.

i Can run my fingers along the bone and feel the end of one bone over the other, its just weird i dunno how it could heal together when the 2 ends arent touching.

Anyone have any tips for this?
Ive been wearing a figure 8 brace, but it keeps loosening and doesnt seem to hold my shoulders back good enough.
It does help support it though.

Heres an X-ray pic.

http://img34.imagevenue.com/loc222/th_ea4_brokecollarbonexray.JPG (http://img34.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc222&image=ea4_brokecollarbonexray.JPG)

Heres the funny part, my doctor actually says not to wear the brace and that they do absolutely nothing :huh

i think hes on crack.:chinese:

Mxjunkie
07-06-2005, 11:12 PM
your collar bone is allways moving so a brace doesnt help it any, Just dont lift anything heavy and DONT ride, Mine bothers me alot shoulda listened to the doctor, I'm done not listening to the doctor it sucks being 15 and I have to get up slow lol

ZRider400
07-06-2005, 11:17 PM
yea..i didnt plan on riding for atleast 6- 8 weeks.

i wanna make sure it heals, i just couldnt imagine breaking it a 2nd time because of not healing good enough:uhoh:

sampleez
07-06-2005, 11:21 PM
well, i dislocated my left collar bone from my breast bone back in april. luckily my dad knew a retired bone doctor, cause he said the stuff they do for my deal was both crazy and useless. one thing was they could go in and cut the end of my collar bone off, just so i wouldn't have a bump on my chest. so i never went to the doctor. :eek2: well, i went to the ER the day of my wreck tho
i have pretty much got full movement in my arm for about a month, and it hasn't bothered me riding mx. although sleeping still kinda sucks sometimes. and i still have a large bump on my chest(well, i guess i always will :ermm: )

as far as tips, i don't really know. cause i didn't break anything, just tore some ligaments i guess. but i just put my arm in a sling for a few weeks until i could move it allright, then slowly started using it like normal. so if that isn't helping much, try a sling if ya got one around. (ya might wanna take an extra lortab or whatever meds ya got just in case :D )

Mxjunkie
07-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah just take it easy, good time to clean up the machines and do little tinkering with them :p

Narly R
07-07-2005, 12:11 AM
I broke my collar bone (right shoulder) and there is a huge lump, just let it heal, and then go back to normal, the ONLY problem I have is now I cannot put my right arm as far over my left shoulder and I use to be able to. It will be just as strong, or stronger the doc told me, cause what appeares around a brake to heal the bone is actually stronger than the bone itself.

:ermm: Good luck, be safe man.

HondaEXrider22
07-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Drink milk

07-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Sleep and pratice to move your arm a little more each day.(do this after it heals a bit)

Nick110
07-07-2005, 04:42 PM
thats perfectly normal how it is healing by overlapping. i broke mine in 2 spots and the midddle piece is sticking straight up and the other ends healed to that. like this -I- and the brace doesnt do anything. thtas what my doctor said too. hope u feel better

wheeltrax
07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
i had the same thing happen, it took a good 2 months before it was healed, and after that it still was sore for quite a while. The brace in my opinion was useless, as it kept loosening up and everything. I just decided to ditch it. I am healed now, and everything is fine. While its broke, it never seems like it will ever heal, and sleeping was the worst cause i kept rolling over on it. wish ya the best.

FoxRacing81
07-07-2005, 06:19 PM
My friend broke his about a month or so ago. Took about 5 weeks and he was out blasting around the track again.

brian-250
07-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
, Mine bothers me alot shoulda listened to the doctor, I'm done not listening to the doctor it sucks being 15 and I have to get up slow lol

no ****!

dont do and heavy lifting for about 2 weeks, i took my brace off after about 2 weeks of it mines healed up OK but i would take it east for about a month afte rit heals.

Doak450r
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
broke mine the same way two months ago hurt pretty bad bones were overlapping just like yours are i stayed out of work for three weeks then went back it still hurt after two mionths like someone else said i cant lift mine further than the other and i have a big bump as wll. and yeah the figure eight brace did nothing.

Joecool1264
07-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Be thankful you don't need surgery to fix it. Broke mine about two years ago. Five breaks, one plate & eight screws. Still can't sleep on my right side & I've got a nasty looking scar. I was down about two months. Good luck and heal fast.

blondie16kjnc
07-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I broke mine trying to break a 2 year old stud horse. Mine over lapped to and I still have a hump there(2 years ago). I keep my brace on most of the time. The doc told me that mine would heel in 6 to 8 weeks but I was out on a jet ski, riding fourwheelers and horses by the 4th week. The worst part for me was getting out of the bed it hurt so bad I would cry every morning.