PDA

View Full Version : Cam question

maynard22
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, so will just putting a cam in my 400ex do me any good. I have on my bike already a fmf headpipe, t4 slipon, holes in the airbox lid, and k*n filter. Would just putting the cam in be a waste of time?

Rdhanded2
07-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I have a stage 1 cam in mine, and I love it. I do a lot of woods riding, and I love all the low end power it added. You will notice a difference, and it's worth the money.

Iliketogofast
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah, it would help you a little. I would suggest, however, buying a high compression piston to help it out a little. With the new cam you'll need to rejet. The basic idea of it is that it has a chain attached to the crankshaft, which turns the cam around. The cam has little egg shaped lobes on it, when it turns they turn. The egg shaped lobes push rocker arms up and down, and the rocker arms push the valves open. So on an aftermarket cam rge lobes are bigger, so the valves stay open for longer. Therefore, you'll need more gas.

bwamos
07-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Aye.. keeping same bore. Hone sleeve (any motorcycle shop should be able to do this in 15min assuming you take the cylinder off, do not need to take the sleeve out of the cylinder). Get 11:1 piston.. and a new cam will do you wonders.

Very cheap upgrade $$$ vs. ponies.

But.. aye.. if you dont wanna deal with getting into the engine.. a cam is good also.. but you wont get the full potential of it until you get an 11:1. Kinda like buying the pipe w/o the filter.

You will need to rejet of course.

jhoppa
07-08-2005, 10:46 AM
According to many engine builders, they say do not put a aftermarket cam, unless you have hardened rocker arms or you are using the HONDA aftermarket cam.

Appartently, the white brothers and others weld stock cams to make angle changes. This makes their cams HARDER than the rocker arms and will wear out the rocker arms much faster.

Food for thought...

wilkin250r
07-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by jhoppa
According to many engine builders, they say do not put a aftermarket cam, unless you have hardened rocker arms or you are using the HONDA aftermarket cam.

Appartently, the white brothers and others weld stock cams to make angle changes. This makes their cams HARDER than the rocker arms and will wear out the rocker arms much faster.

Food for thought...

Not true. Yes, many cams are hardwelded, but not all. Hotcams is a billet camshaft, not hardwelded, so you don't need hardened rockers.

Iliketogofast
07-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Webcams is hardwelded I think, just adding that because it's probably the 2nd most popular.

4everhonda
07-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Hot cams are not hardwelded and are made for stock drop in with out anything else, they will not wear out your rockers!

Webcams are hardwelded and will wear out your rockers in a time frame of around a year as I have heard. With a webcam you need hardened rockers and stiffer valve springs and possibly shortened valve guides

I hope this helps

sickmojave
07-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by maynard22
I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, so will just putting a cam in my 400ex do me any good. I have on my bike already a fmf headpipe, t4 slipon, holes in the airbox lid, and k*n filter. Would just putting the cam in be a waste of time?

I noticed a nice gain with a cam only upgrade.;)