PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove this without damage?

BlazingYamahaYz
07-06-2005, 06:11 AM
I was cleaning my air filter yesterday for the first time and found something. I wanted to know if I took out the metal piece inside the air filter would that cause any problems? It looks really restrictive...but does it prevent the filter from collapsing on itself? Anybody know what I'm talking about?

07-06-2005, 08:18 AM
you have to leave it in there with a stock filter, but if you get a K&N or twin air you can trow it away

bwamos
07-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Have to use it with the stocker.

And, YES, it is very restrictive. Get a K&N/Uni/Twin-Air. And bump up your main jet 2 sizes.

BlazingYamahaYz
07-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Alright thanks guys for the replies. I will stick with the stock filter for now until I can research those other filters. Is any one going to give me better performance than the others? Am I going to have to rejet with all the filters? What I really want is to not lose any low end, if possible gain some low end....I am all about torque. I know the K&N's come with those outerwears, I take it those are to keep water out just in case? Are they similar to the filters they make for cars where you just have to clean 'em and they last forever?

400exrider26
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
in my opinion foam filters are better for water and muddy conditions... for a foam filter you shouldnt have to rejet but you might for a k&N.

Toadz400
07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Have to use it with the stocker.

And, YES, it is very restrictive. Get a K&N/Uni/Twin-Air. And bump up your main jet 2 sizes.

I think bumping it up 2 main jet sizes is a little extreme, maybe if he removed the airbox lid at the same time also.

07-07-2005, 11:26 AM
get a k&n it will offer better filteration sp? and way more performance than stock, remember the goal is to get more air and gas in the motor so if you get something that doesnt make you rejet you arent making that big of an improvement

2001300exguy
07-07-2005, 11:34 AM
get a k&n it will offer better filteration sp? and way more performance than stock, remember the goal is to get more air and gas in the motor so if you get something that doesnt make you rejet you arent making that big of an improvement

Ok first of all just stop talking . now the k&n does not filter as good as foam but it may flow a fraction of a percent more air than foam. there are alot of people on here that say a k&n is fine if you oil it after every ride which may be true but whats the point.i can get a foam for half the price go 10 times as long without having to clean it good and still have pretty much the same performance. now if you wanna go and waste your time and money oiling a k&n after every ride to get a 16th more horsepower over foam go ahead

2000400EX
07-07-2005, 11:40 AM
It all comes down to personal preference on the air filters. I myself like the K&N, but to each his own. Any of the top name brand filters will work fine as long as they're maintained the way they're supposed to.

bwamos
07-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I think bumping it up 2 main jet sizes is a little extreme, maybe if he removed the airbox lid at the same time also.

Nah.. the honda is already on the lean limit in it's stock form.

1 size to adjust for filter.. another for margin of saftey. Going from a 138 - 142 isn't that big of a jump. I was pretty much assuming (2) 1" dia. holes being punched in the lid as well.

FasstMidnightZ
07-07-2005, 11:58 AM
i have a twin air filter, can i take the metal thing out to ? Does it make a difference ?

2001300exguy
07-07-2005, 12:02 PM
i believe the twin air is made out of a special flame retardent material so you should be ok. the stock piece is also used as a spark arrestor for backfires. but the chances of a spark making it to the filter is very little alot of people cat the stock metal cage down so thatonly the sleeve is left to secur the filter on the boot

07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
the stock screen thing that you are talking about has like 5 layers of screen. I just took a sharp blade to mine and cut all the fine layers of that screen off. so there is only one courser screen left.

In my opinion k&n should not be run in dusty areas.

I run it on my go kart that runs on the asphalt oval. little to no dust there. the filter pretty much keeps rocks out.

bwamos
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
[i]Originally posted by BlazingYamahaYz
Is any one going to give me better performance than the others?

Nah they are all about the same. K&N are great for Sand/Dust Foam are best for wet conditions. But, I've never had issues with the K&N in wet conditions. By "wet", I mean water above the fenders.. lol. If you oil it properly they work like a charm. The trick is use a spray on filter oil.. not the shampoo bottle crap, to hard to get a good coverage w/o soaking it.

Am I going to have to rejet with all the filters?

Yea you'll have to bump up a size or 2.

What I really want is to not lose any low end, if possible gain some low end....I am all about torque.

You'll get a little more bottom end. A lot if you add a good pipe into the mix.

I know the K&N's come with those outerwears, I take it those are to keep water out just in case?

Actually the Filter Oil will keep the water out. The Outer wears is a pre-filter that catches the big stuff.. so your filter only has to catch the little stuff. Keeps the filter cleaner.

Are they similar to the filters they make for cars where you just have to clean 'em and they last forever?

Pretty much. You wash them, dry, re-oil, and go. You'll usually want to replace them every year or so., Maybe every couple if you don't ride that often, depending on how much and how dusty/sandy you ride. Eventually the small bits you cant get out will build up.

bwamos
07-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
In my opinion k&n should not be run in dusty areas.

I run it on my go kart that runs on the asphalt oval. little to no dust there. the filter pretty much keeps rocks out.

I run Missouri hare scrambles.. and very dusty trails out here as well. I have never had any issues with any dust or even water getting into my intake past the filter. My intake boot is as clean as the day I bought it (7 years ago).

Only people I've seen with dust issues on a K&N are people who don't oil them properly, or use the wrong oil all together (most common). I've had 3 K&N's and never had an issue with any of them. Hell, it even keeps the fine sand dust out from Little Sahara Wynoka, OK trips.

z400roosteR
07-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 2001300exguy
Ok first of all just stop talking . now the k&n does not filter as good as foam but it may flow a fraction of a percent more air than foam. there are alot of people on here that say a k&n is fine if you oil it after every ride which may be true but whats the point.i can get a foam for half the price go 10 times as long without having to clean it good and still have pretty much the same performance. now if you wanna go and waste your time and money oiling a k&n after every ride to get a 16th more horsepower over foam go ahead

I don't detect even a hint of a biased opinion in that post?:rolleyes:

You don't have to oil it after every ride unless your totally anal about keeping your bike clean it is unnecessary to clean the filter that much. After each trip is a little more reasonable (as in the whole week/weekend of riding)

2001300exguy
07-07-2005, 06:37 PM
hey im not saying that is what you should do but i do believe if you look in some othere posts about airfilters there is more than one personsaying its goo if you oil it every ride and every other ride. also my opinion is not biased i had a k&n on my 300 and i oiled it often and always found dirt in the air boot. then when i got my 400 there was a K&n on it so i decided id try it again this time it sucked in a piece of sand and had to tear the bike apart to get a scratch out of the cylinder and there was also dirt in the carb. i also oiled that frequently

Toadz400
07-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 2001300exguy
i had a k&n on my 300 and i oiled it often and always found dirt in the air boot. then when i got my 400 there was a K&n on it so i decided id try it again this time it sucked in a piece of sand and had to tear the bike apart to get a scratch out of the cylinder and there was also dirt in the carb. i also oiled that frequently

I had the same problem with my 400ex (except I switched to a foam filter before any damage was done). I always had the K&N oiled and I ran the outerwear. Neither had holes/tears in them and they were properly oiled (exactly like the instructions were and I used only K&N oil and cleaner). But for some reason I always found dust on the inside of my intake boot, I couldn't find any other cracks in my intake to let dirt in and after I switched to a Uni the dust stopped coming. That's my own personal experience and I'll only run K&N on a vehicle or motorcycle. Foam all the way for the conditions I ride in, but that's just my opinion and my choice.