PDA

View Full Version : Frame problems!!

Pro1200
07-05-2005, 09:04 PM
I recently purchased a slightly modded 86' 250R w/ a few mods and everything looked good, including the frame. I slowly put it together myself. Once finished started riding it perfectly fine. But now over the past weekened went for a few spins around my house and then went to the driveway to tighten up a few bolts because the vibration is so bad. I didn't ride extremely hard just like two wheelies few turns and rode over a little jump. I then looked and my front motor mounts are cracked. The lower mounts are cracked too. One fully cracked and fell off. Now what should I do?? I know it needs to be welded and needs new motor mounts. But I mines well gusset it and pc it too. My question is where should i get the pieces to gusset it and how do I do it? Also how should it be welded? I have searched for gusseting it and seem to find pics on the other frames for other years and info that really isn't explained well. Can someone help me out. I know I should gusset the rear swinger bolt spot, motor mounts for sure, and a few other spots. Also I will get pics of the cracks soon.

Thanks,

David

250R Baja Rider
07-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Most stocker will break at those locations.

You have 2 options:
1. Take it to a pro welders and will now how to reinforce it.

2. Remove both bottom tubes where the lower mounts are and replace them with chromolly round tubing and chromolly lower motor mounts. Again, you need a pro welder to do this. Make sure he does one side at a time in order to get the geometry right in case you don't remove the motor.

option 1 will work, but may break again.
option 2 is bullet proof.

Good luck!!

Pro1200
07-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the help. Anyone have pics of gussetson an 86' frame??

-David

250R Baja Rider
07-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Do a search in this forum. I saw another thread and someone posted really good pictures.

Pro1200
07-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Of an 86' frame? You have the link. I searched and couldn't find it.

Thanks,

David

250R Baja Rider
07-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Let me look for it. As soon as I find it, I will send you the link.

250R Baja Rider
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Here is the link,

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164566

Good luck!!!

QuadRacer041
07-08-2005, 05:02 AM
its possible that your motor has a vibration cause the frame to crack, i would look into that as well.check your counter balancer out and make for its tight and the bearing is good.also pull the clutch cover off and check to make sure that thew counter balance gear has the marks lined up with the other gear it mates with.if they are off it will cause a vibration.

Pro1200
07-08-2005, 12:47 PM
That may have caused it, because it had a lot of vibration.