PDA

View Full Version : IS it worth it?

RidetheRed
07-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Bought me a nice 250r 2 weeks ago and it is the fastest quad in town, but I have to work on it all the time. One of my friends has a brand new 05ltz400 and I beat him all the time in races, but I have to work on mine like 5 hours a week, whether it be changen a spark plug or tearing apart the carb to readjust my air/fuel mixture. Is it worth the trouble of my fabulous 2 stroke that I love to ride, or are new 4srokes the way to go. My 250 is awsome to ride, but like any 2 strokes needs a lot of tlc. Just seeing how yall feel.

250R Baja Rider
07-05-2005, 10:32 PM
It takes a few rides and a little tweaking at first.

Once everything is dialed in. You won't need any adjustments and it will be sweeeeeeet after that.

hollywood250r
07-06-2005, 06:49 AM
My suggestion is for you to take the time to completely go through you quad. Check out bearings and go through the motor. Since you just brought it you don't the the condition of the motor internals. After you go over the quad and learn to jet, maintaining the quad is easy and should not take you any longer than the new 450 quads. Not to mention more reliable.

velocityatv
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
HINT # 1 - IF YOU STILL HAVE THE STOCK CARB ON THERE SCRAP IT ASAP, AND GET AN AFTERMARKET KEIHIN OR MIKUNI ( SIZE OF CARB IS UP TO YOU AND RIDING STYLE. THE STOCK CARB WOULD BE AROUND 18 YEARS OLD. PLUS YOUR AFTERMARKET CARBS ARE MORE TUNNER FRIENDLY.

HINT # 2 - TAKE THE TIME TO JET IT CORRECTLY. THIS WILL INCREASAE YOUR SPARK PLUG LIFE. AS WELL AS YOUR MOTOR. A PROPERLY JETTED 2 STROKE ENGINE WILL RUN LONGER AND STRONG BETWEEN REBUILDS.

HINT # 3 - JUST LIKE HOLLYWOOD250R SAID, TAKE THE TIME TO GO THRU THE QUAD. YEAH YOU MAY THINK IT'S A ROCKET, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU BOUGHT. TAKE THE TIME TO GO THRU BEARINGS AND MAKE ADJUSTMENTS WERE NEEDED. YOU MAY JUST STUMBLE UPON SOMETHING THAT IS ROBBING HANDLING OR HP. EX. CRACKED REED, LEAKY GASKET, BAD BEARINGS, BAD WIRING ......

I RACE MINE ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND, AND PLAY RIDE DURING THE WEEK. I CHANGE MY TRANNY OIL RELIGOUSLY FOR EVERY OTHER RACE OR SOONER. RUN A GOOD QUALITY OIL ( AMSOIL @ 50:1 ) AND A GOOD SET OF REEDS V-FORCE CARBON.

KEEP POSTING IF YOU RUN INTO PROBLEMS.

Iliketogofast
07-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah, if you're thinking about a four stroke think again. You don't even know what you have under your legs until you start dropping some money on it. Instead of buying a hippie-friendly 4 stroke, think about spending that money on your real prize. A new head with port matching for your pipe will give you more power than you want...