PDA

View Full Version : Sparks vs. Ballance HMF

redlined94
07-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Well just wondering what you fellow 450r guys think is the better pipe. I have a chance to get either but only the slip on for the Ballance pipe. I found a used sparks system (not big core) that is in good shape that i can afford. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks!!

p.s. I am runnin a stock motor and will prolly stay like that for a while.

TrX450rKiD
07-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by redlined94
Well just wondering what you fellow 450r guys think is the better pipe.
HMF :cool:

07-05-2005, 09:08 PM
sparks is way better then the ballance, i road the ballance and didnt like it, power was not there, the sparks is way better in power and performance

mikes450r
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
you got mail red line

Ridin' Jesse
07-05-2005, 09:59 PM
The truth is that the difference between these pipes is minimal and you will barely notice the difference in power IMO

kazpr
07-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I owned the HMF and sold it and bought a sparks actually. I like the mid to high hit the Sparks gives me better. The sparks is the Big-Core.

The HMF was INSANE on the low-mid. If I was a woods racer I would own nothing but the BB HMF!!

speedracer400
07-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I gotta go with ballance have had two. one on a 400 and one on a 450 great power especially low-mid great tractoring power.If you have the trm or quiet core or both in at same time curve changes drastically.I've never heard anything about sparks nor have I riden a 450 w/sparks so can't comment on that.RacerxX i don't know about the ballance 450 you rode maybe it wasnt set up right but mine hauls b@(($ I don't have any prob runnen w/yfz.So I say hmf or get the most for money and if you dont like it change it later down the road.

07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by kazpr
I owned the HMF and sold it and bought a sparks actually. I like the mid to igh hit the Sparks gives me better. The HMF was INSANE on the low-mid.
If I was a woods racer I would own nothing but the BB HMF!!

i race woods, i didnt like the BB HMF, it was just the slip on, not the full pipe, didnt think it was any good at all, just my opinion on it, some others may have had diff experiances

crf500
07-05-2005, 11:31 PM
i'm just not an hmf guy

nowukno
07-05-2005, 11:46 PM
I had my pipe selection down to hmf and sparks , i picked hmf for the better low end but both pipes are awesome. Which ever one you get you will be happy.

rich@axeracing.
07-06-2005, 08:53 AM
ive tested sparks , hmf , and yosh. i think the bb-hmf was the best overall pipe . no other pipe made that much power

yfz450kid259
07-06-2005, 10:20 AM
it all depends on if u want a pipe thatg looks sick and give u alot of power....or if u want a pipe that is ugly and give u power.....i went through that same thing man but i went witht a ballance pipe:D

cals400ex
07-06-2005, 10:33 AM
i would put my money down on a FULL HMF any day over the sparks. i had the sparks and it worked well. it seemed to put down a lot of power at low rpms (which i don't care about due to my riding style).

redlined94
07-06-2005, 02:56 PM
How about these Rossier pipes? Whats all the fuss about them? Are they really that good? I think they are ugly to tell ya the truth but thats IMO. I still like the Ballance a lil better in all categories. Plus I just like the look of that pipe and I know its gonna sound bada** cuz its an HMF pipe.

cals400ex
07-07-2005, 12:31 AM
i think the rossier will be better on a built motor. it doesn't have the low end power that the sparks has. i haven't really got to top end on it yet so i can't say there.

ridinredodb
07-08-2005, 08:27 PM
the HMF is a better pipe.
this may or may not mean anything but the HMF wins most of the pipe shootouts and dynos, the sparks isnt very impressive.

also, a slip on is a waste of money! the header is what makes most of the power.

redlined94
07-08-2005, 11:45 PM
The way it is now, I found a used Sparks system in my price range but if I were to get the Ballance I could only get the slip on. Since I dont have enough money for the full system HMF I am lookin at gettin the Sparks. I would rather have a HMF to tell ya the truth but the money isnt there. Unless someone has a used full system layin around then it looks like the Sparks won in this battle lol.

ridinredodb
07-09-2005, 09:03 AM
if thats all you can afford go with the sparks or you might want to look at the regular HMF sport pipe. just dont waste your money on a slip on

ramp rida 55
07-09-2005, 10:56 AM
i havent ridden an hmf but the sparks is awesome

nowukno
07-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ridinredodb

also, a slip on is a waste of money! the header is what makes most of the power.

Unless your doing some serious engine upgrades (bigger piston/higher compression) you will not be able to tell a difference between a slip-on and a full system exhaust. You would be better off getting just the slip-on to save money if you don't plan on doing the big engine upgrades. If you think you will feel a power difference between the 2 when a quad is stock , your insane. I have a friend that has a 450r with a hmf bb full system with no airbox lid , K&N and jet kit , i had the same at the time but only the slip-on and i didn't have my hotcams yet. But when we raced it all depended on who shifted better that race but it was always very close. We would swap quads and still get the same results , the majority of the races we were side-by-side through all gears. Now that i have my stage 2 hotcams i win by 2-3 lenghts. Just thought i would give my point of view.