PDA

View Full Version : rear shock problem

wheeltrax
07-05-2005, 06:08 PM
I have the Elka dual rate rebuilt 400ex shock, after riding this weekend, i definately need to adjust it. I didnt touch it after i got it rebuilt and i know i need to adjust the preload. I tried using a spanner wrench to adjust the collar, but i wont move. Do you need to use 2 spanners because it looks like one could be like a "lock nut". Any help on what to do.

TBD
07-05-2005, 06:28 PM
You will need two wrenchs. The top nut is used as a lock.

hardkoratvmxr
07-05-2005, 09:14 PM
you need to spin the top nut to where it is really loose then adjust the bottom then thighten the top

wheeltrax
07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
i tried that.. it does not move at all. I took the shock off and tried and all i did was bend the spanner wrench.. i also soaked the nut in PB blaster. It got the elka rebuild like 3 months ago, and this is the 2nd ride on it.. any new suggestions?

TBD
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
i tried that.. it does not move at all. I took the shock off and tried and all i did was bend the spanner wrench.. i also soaked the nut in PB blaster. It got the elka rebuild like 3 months ago, and this is the 2nd ride on it.. any new suggestions?
I'm not sure but check to see if there is a set screw on the nut.

Pappy
07-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by TBD
I'm not sure but check to see if there is a set screw on the nut.

always start with the obvious;)

sampleez
07-06-2005, 09:18 PM
yeah no kiddin.

when i took out my stock axle on my yfz i only loosened one of the set screws cause i didn't see the other one. well, about half was through (i was using a large pipewrench) i noticed it was getting harder. i then see the second screw, loosend it, and then loosed the nut with my hand. when i got it off, what did i see.....half the flippin threads gone off the axle :D :ermm: oh well, it was bent anyways

wheeltrax
07-06-2005, 10:01 PM
well i looked at it again, and i dont see any set screw.. its still the stock 400ex shock, only it has the elka rebuild on it. Its really aggrevating because it should move.. but its not.

2000400EX
07-07-2005, 05:28 AM
I went through the same thing back in May when I got my Elka conversion and needed to adjust the preload, although I didn't have any ride time on it yet. I was just setting up the ride height of the quad and couldn't get the top "lock" collar off either. What I ended up doing was taking the shock off the quad, putting it in a vise and CAREFULLY using a pipe wrench to loosen the collar. Then I made sure I put anti-seize on the threads to help prevent that again. I also just "snugged" up the top lock collar after making my preload adjustment, I didn't tighten it really tight....just "snug". Give that a try if you haven't got it loose already. ;)

wheeltrax
07-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 2000400EX
I went through the same thing back in May when I got my Elka conversion and needed to adjust the preload, although I didn't have any ride time on it yet. I was just setting up the ride height of the quad and couldn't get the top "lock" collar off either. What I ended up doing was taking the shock off the quad, putting it in a vise and CAREFULLY using a pipe wrench to loosen the collar. Then I made sure I put anti-seize on the threads to help prevent that again. I also just "snugged" up the top lock collar after making my preload adjustment, I didn't tighten it really tight....just "snug". Give that a try if you haven't got it loose already. ;)

Thats what i like about these boards. Thanks, this was the trick. If i wouldnt have been so frustrated maybe i woulda thought about this :o oh well.

Pappy
07-07-2005, 04:09 PM
yep, elka uses a set screw and stock uses a lock ring.

they are a PITA! but know you have a general idea of what to do so get crackin':macho

2000400EX
07-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
Thats what i like about these boards. Thanks, this was the trick. If i wouldnt have been so frustrated maybe i woulda thought about this :o oh well.

Glad I could help....:D