PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof it?

scottso
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Took my son riding in some pretty muddy conditions this weekend. Turns out he sunk his machine just about over the CVT cover for about for about 60 seconds, maybe less - the time it took me to pull him out. That was it for the next 15 minutes or so. It took a combination of driving and letting it sit do finally dry it out so that it would stop slipping like crazy.
Is this normal for these little machines? I know it is not made for deep water - but it seems too easy to soak it. Anybody seal up that CVT cover better than stock?

newnick
07-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes thats normal. Some trannies are better sealed than others. Ours has two holes under the plastic for cooling, it will allow alot of water in. I've seen some covers without holes. I'd be concerned about sucking in water also. And, the stator gets alot of mud and junk up in it also and will create more problems with corrosion.

scottso
07-05-2005, 03:16 PM
The first thing I did when I got the little machine was to extend the air intake as high as possible behind the headlight pod - and extend the crankcase breather hose up into the same area. Not with deep water crossings in mind - just as a safety measure. Having a Polaris with a CVT - I am just surprised that it is that vulnerable to water - that quickly. :ermm: