PDA

View Full Version : some hybrid help!

400ex87
07-05-2005, 11:38 AM
I am gunna put a ktm 525 engine in my laeger 250r frame. First off will anyone like laeger or jb modify my frame for me, or does any company make special mounts that i can buy? secondly i am stuck on what engine to use, that being the ex/c or sx? I like the ignition mapping and 41mm carb on the sx cause it leans more towards motocross, but i dont know how good a 4 speed tranny would be on a quad! any advice from anyone would be great.

thanx, billy

07-05-2005, 11:52 AM
sounds like you need to do some more research.. you first say that you are going to put a ktm 525 engine in the frame, then you say you are stuck on which engine to use..

Hybrids are hard to do.. and can be extremly frustrating..

Id suggest you do some more plannign before saying your going to do it, and just let it dwindle away as a faded dream.

Jesse

400ex87
07-05-2005, 11:59 AM
the ktm 525 is in 3 versions bro...the sx, the ex/c, and mx/c! all mount exactly the same, and i know that the two engines that others have used have been the sx or the ex/c. I am just trying to see what engine people think would be the best on a quad for motocross, it more of an opinionated thing. I know how frustrating they are but i am willing to get r' done and was just wondering if anyone knew of any frame companies that will work with your current frame, and not just tell you to buy there own frame that is allready set up for that engine!

billy

jak1389
07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
i am 99% positive that East Coasr Atv will modify your frame for you.

07-05-2005, 12:32 PM
there was a quad i think darl rath built in dirtwheels like 3 years ago with a 525 sx motor, look in back issues. the sx would be the motor for mx, also.

07-05-2005, 12:33 PM
i think darls wife is on her everynow and then, you could pm her if it was him that built it. i think her user name is jenniferrath

protraxrptr17
07-06-2005, 08:28 PM
I did the conversion on my Raptor all myself. I have a thread probably ten pages back with all the pics. For motocross definitely get the 525SX. The 2004 is the fastest.

The conversion for the Raptor frame was very tough, but I think a 250R would be much easier. Don't give up because it's hard. Everybody told me it wasn't worth doing, especially to a Raptor. I can tell you that NO oher engine will pull like the 525. Plus, it is very light and almost bulletproof. Much different then the Jap engines. I will help you any way I can if you want me to.
Zeb

400ex87
07-06-2005, 10:07 PM
sound cool man...yeah i am kinda sick of hearing everyone saying it wont work..i need to go buy another frame and such! Ya know? I know its a tight fit but i know with some hard work and dedication i can get'r done!

400ex87
07-06-2005, 10:23 PM
oh bye the way...do u think my laeger frame will be able to handle the tall engine? And i have the cr500 link swingarm which should be a good thing right?

protraxrptr17
07-07-2005, 04:51 AM
You may have to make an aluminum fuel tank to clear the water pump. The CR500 setup should work great because of the near straight up shock angle. The KTM engine has two oil filter housings on top of the transmission. I had to make a special shock mount to clear them. The frame you have is made from 4130 chrome-moly. It has to be TIG welded or it will crack all to h***. The hardest part of the conversion is getting the swingarm, frame, engine, and both sprockets to align and center in the frame. It should be easy for you because I had JRD make me an '86 250r swingarm with Raptor suspension geometry. I had to cut some off the left bearing boss but it was pretty close out of the box.

Here's a pic of the shock mount and right side of the frame I had to make. You shouldn't have to do this to a 250R. The Raptor frame sweeps forward at an extreme angle just above the swimgarm pivot. I had to make a new frame tube to clear the kickstarter.

ZRider400
07-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
You may have to make an aluminum fuel tank to clear the water pump. The CR500 setup should work great because of the near straight up shock angle. The KTM engine has two oil filter housings on top of the transmission. I had to make a special shock mount to clear them. The frame you have is made from 4130 chrome-moly. It has to be TIG welded or it will crack all to h***. The hardest part of the conversion is getting the swingarm, frame, engine, and both sprockets to align and center in the frame. It should be easy for you because I had JRD make me an '86 250r swingarm with Raptor suspension geometry. I had to cut some off the left bearing boss but it was pretty close out of the box.

Here's a pic of the shock mount and right side of the frame I had to make. You shouldn't have to do this to a 250R. The Raptor frame sweeps forward at an extreme angle just above the swimgarm pivot. I had to make a new frame tube to clear the kickstarter.

That looks really strong, you did a good job!

Do you have any pics of the completed quad?

400ex87
07-07-2005, 08:34 AM
that shock mount looks super clean! Nice welding! where did you get your engine? I was thinking of just buying the bike and parting the rest of it out. But i dunno how well ktms part out compared to a honda or yammie??

protraxrptr17
07-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks fellers. I take pride in my welding skills. I think I kinda overbuilt the shock mount, but it takes more stress and abuse than any part on the frame. I've been talking to a major ATV race parts fabrication company for the past few months about going to work for them so I might be moving in the next couple months. If it wasn't for that I would be interested in doing the conversion for you.

KTM's part out better than the Japanese bikes. They come with top of the line components such as Brembo brakes, Excel wheels (I think), stuff like that. The frame is 4130 instead of mild steel. High quality stuff.

I have two threads of pictures and discussion about my bike. I'll post links in a minute or two.

protraxrptr17
07-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Here's the link to the mock up pictures.
Mock up (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158450)

Here's the link to the finished product
Finished (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167230)