PDA

View Full Version : Drops of coolant on 450R gas tank

yfz450admirer
07-05-2005, 10:00 AM
The last two times I have been riding on my 05 450R I have noticed a few drops of coolant on the top of the gas tank. Has anyone had this happen. Any suggestions on where the coolant is coming from?
thanks

quad9
07-05-2005, 03:10 PM
pop the hood off and check the over flow bottle it is right in front of the tank, mabey the lid is loose, and splashing back. that is the only thing that has coolant in it that high on the bike.

07-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by yfz450admirer
The last two times I have been riding on my 05 450R I have noticed a few drops of coolant on the top of the gas tank. Has anyone had this happen. Any suggestions on where the coolant is coming from?
thanks sounds like you are drooling while riding after being amazed at how much btter the 450r is then the yfz :blah:

K-Dub
07-05-2005, 06:10 PM
The radiator over flow goes into the steering stem. I would say the drain hole in the bottom of your stem is plugged with mud and is holding antifreeze. When you ride a wheelie or go up a steep hill the antifreeze thats in the stem will come out the top of the stem and onto the tank. I put a different hose on my radiator over flow that runs down the side of the frame to prevent this. My stem clogged with mud and then filled with antifreeze to the point my gas overflow hose was semerged in it and caused a vacum lock on the gas tank. Bike ran like crap till I figured it out.

Moto92
07-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Interesting.... I would have never guessed my quad was running like crap because the steering stem was full of antifreeze.
wow....hmm....wow :huh