PDA

View Full Version : wheelie info

Mad*Ex*Rider
07-04-2005, 10:44 PM
what is the best way to do a wheelie with a 400ex? i have 18" razr on the back so that might make a difference. i try popping the clutch from a standstill in first but then you cant stick the wheelie for a while. how do you stick the wheelie. and how hard is doing this goin to be on my transmission.

bonified5
07-04-2005, 10:47 PM
i start going in 2nd or 3rd gear and hit the gas and pull up. I can ride them fairly long this way. Sometimes I pop the clutch instead of pulling. I dont think itll be too bad doin that.

Mad*Ex*Rider
07-04-2005, 10:52 PM
so you lean back and pull the throttle? my 400 doesnt seem to hae the power to do this, i have a jet kit, pipe and hot cams camshaft, and a top end with about 1 hr on it. although i am running 87 octane? any ideas why this is happening. it seems to be geared really low, i dont have any real speed until 5th.

thrasher_ex
07-04-2005, 11:16 PM
make sure you have enough weight on the rear end. just get a few hundred rpms above idle goin then press down on your front end and when it begins to come up, pull your weight back and give er gas. just takes practice. and dont worry about falling off backwards, nothing happens.

2004exrider
07-05-2005, 08:33 AM
try this, get it in 2nd gear and have it at bout a little after 1/8 throttle and have it goin at a constant speed. then lean back and hit the gas at the same time (dont be afraid to give it throttle, just dont flip) when it comes up keep feathering the throttle and eventually youll find the balancing point.

Mad*Ex*Rider
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
alright will do, im goin out to my cabin on the 8th so ill be able to try it oout... thanks for the tips guys

Robin Hood
07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
try this, get it in 2nd gear and have it at bout a little after 1/8 throttle and have it goin at a constant speed. then lean back and hit the gas at the same time (dont be afraid to give it throttle, just dont flip) when it comes up keep feathering the throttle and eventually youll find the balancing point.

Yea Ive wheelied forever on my friends 400's in 2nd. And dont worry if you hit the grab bar, it'll only wake you up more. ;)

theTman
07-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Mad*Ex*Rider
although i am running 87 octane? .

run at least 93 or higher....

bigballz400
07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
i run vp red its like 107 or 111 octane

07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
I learned to wheelie in 1st gear on a slight up hill. first thing to get good at is fall off the back at least 3 times. so you arent afraid of it anymore. you may want to type a pillow to your but or somthing tho.

to pop one all I have to to is pull up and hit the gas. no clutch ever needed for me, even with the stock motor.

07-06-2005, 11:03 PM
just practice and learn to use the clutch/throttle. all i have to do is pull on the bars and give it gas:confused:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=new-photos-016

05exrder
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
i just got a new 2005 400ex and i like it and it seems to wheelie in 2nd and stay up no problem

RAZE77
07-08-2005, 09:50 PM
dont pop your clutch.. you have to compress the front shocks by pushing down on the handle bars or bouncing down on the pegs and pushing down the bars at the same time, then goose the the throttle on the way up and move your weight back. it takes perfect timing. If you weigh alot just leaning back and hitting the throttle will work.I weigh 165lbs so I have to compress the shocks and gun it and it pops right up. start in first gear then when you get the timing down do it in second so you can ride the wheelie longer

400exstud
07-10-2005, 09:56 PM
dont pop your clutch.. you have to compress the front shocks by pushing down on the handle bars or bouncing down on the pegs and pushing down the bars at the same time, then goose the the throttle on the way up and move your weight back. it takes perfect timing. If you weigh alot just leaning back and hitting the throttle will work.I weigh 165lbs so I have to compress the shocks and gun it and it pops right up. start in first gear then when you get the timing down do it in second so you can ride the wheelie longer

I weigh 115 and can just hit the throttle and it comes right up (even before the HMF)

04'400ex'er
07-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by bigballz400
i run vp red its like 107 or 111 octane thats a waste of money on a stock motor. 93 with octane boost at the most...

07-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Try lifting up off a hill or bump n work ur way up

Mad*Ex*Rider
07-16-2005, 08:32 PM
yeah i was doing them this weekend and i can do them off a bump in second easy but have trouble holding them, i still cant do them off flat ground though, it feels like i am not getting enough power but is that probably just not getting the timing right? i weaigh about 140 so i think ill have to compress the shocks

redlineranger
07-16-2005, 08:57 PM
dang when my friends 400 wus stock(has yoshi, filter and jet kit now) i could pull it up in second by just gettin a steady amount of speed and nailin the gas and walk it for away... but now with that pipe i can pull it up in 3rd but i never did get to good walkin his 400..... but i can walk a 300ex no prolem.. i dont know what it is i guess i just got used to walkin the 300

4everhonda
07-17-2005, 08:17 PM
You guys are all crazy trying to teach someone how to wheelie over the internet in LETTERS. Dude just go out start in whatever gear feels confortable and have some fun. once you start riding them dont be scared to shift, and no you don't need the clutch to shift as long as you dont force it in. Have and and learn for yourself, pays off in the end.

redlineranger
07-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 4everhonda
You guys are all crazy trying to teach someone how to wheelie over the internet in LETTERS. Dude just go out start in whatever gear feels confortable and have some fun. once you start riding them dont be scared to shift, and no you don't need the clutch to shift as long as you dont force it in. Have and and learn for yourself, pays off in the end.

well he asked:ermm:

hondajoe05
07-17-2005, 08:37 PM
ya it is pretty hard to explain how to do a wheelie on the internet and exspecialy if everyone tells him something different hes gonne get confussed and don't put pills on your back cuz if your not man enough to hit your back on the ground you shouldn't be trying wheelie yet or doing ne thing with your wheelie off the ground:eek2:

hondajoe05
07-17-2005, 08:38 PM
pillows*********************:D

05exrder
07-18-2005, 09:34 AM
yeah he did ask but his best bet is to go out and stand er up. i had my 05 (which is stock) and was ridin wheelies after like 10 mins on the machine just go out and shift ur weight back and let er rip

400exc
07-18-2005, 05:20 PM
heck, i start in 2nd, and go until 5th, and go for about a mile or two

yellow05ex
07-18-2005, 08:04 PM
What I do is start out in first, tickle the throttle and get in position. Put your *** toward the back and just goose the gas and she will pull right up. I can only ride it for about 10 feet so Im kind of in the same boat as you. I need to learn how to shift through gears cause seems like ya need to.

05exrder
07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
yeah i tried today to go from 2nd to 3rd and as soon as i shifted the front end went back down i cant keep the front end up

Mad*Ex*Rider
07-18-2005, 10:55 PM
yea are most of you guys in rural areas where u can just go for a rip anytime? it sucks im in the city so i gave to wait to go out to my cabin before i can ride

07-19-2005, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Mad*Ex*Rider
so you lean back and pull the throttle? my 400 doesnt seem to hae the power to do this, i have a jet kit, pipe and hot cams camshaft, and a top end with about 1 hr on it. although i am running 87 octane? any ideas why this is happening. it seems to be geared really low, i dont have any real speed until 5th.

why do you run 87????? at least run 91 pump fuel! and to do a wheelie you need to get your quad to the balancing point. once you do thi9s you can ride a wheelie until your finger hurt. you dont just "lean back" it takes skill. find your balance point and you will be wheelieing forever.

05exrder
07-19-2005, 07:58 PM
yeah i live in upstate new york on a dead end road i go out and rip anytime i feel and not much traffic allows open road to fly and ride wheelies ffor a while but its fun

400exc
07-21-2005, 09:49 AM
i wiegh only 126 lbs. and it is easy for me and it took me a couple days to get from 2nd to 5th, it really aint that hard, just florr it and then keep on trying and u will finally let some gas off and u can ride it forever

The Quad Kid
07-21-2005, 10:30 AM
The first time I tried it I couldn't get it either my friend was out there with me and he made go from a complete stop in 1st gear to stand it completely up on the grab bar in about 5 feet my quad is completely stock too so I know it is not the power and I can ride for ever now. when you go back like that it gives you the feeling where your balance point is the less your engine is reved up once you get the bike in your balance point the easier it is to do a wheelie and then you just barely tap the throttle to keep it going and up. It does take practice though that's for sure. Just throw your self back like a split second after you hit the gas. ON a 400ex stock the throttle response is slower than aftermarketed so you get it basically going to where it should move with you on it in first without even pushing on the gas and that's where you hit the gas then throw your self back hard you'll get it I thought I never would but I did. Hey also I live the city too but who gives a rip I ride on the roads anyway just when I see a police officer just whip it in the garage and shut the garage real quick it is that easy. Good luck man.:cool:

The Quad Kid
07-21-2005, 10:38 AM
almost forgot don't worry about it hurting your transmission it'll be fine it won't hurt it. You will run out of gas quicker though by doing wheelie's all the time because of the over flow in the carburetor.:cool:

cf400ex
08-17-2005, 04:47 PM
i think wheelies on a 400ex is easiest in 2nd bcuz it will come up with out much effort but you wont over rev once you get it up dont do wheelies in 1st though bcuz you will over rev as soon as the tires come of the ground but any way keep tryin youll figure it out

redlineranger
08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
since were on the wheelie topic i have an important question..... now ive read on here that shiftin up with out the clutch while ridin a wheelie will not hurt it but that u just dont want to down shift with out the clutch..... but then i read it vise versa..... that if u dont clutch while shiftin up on a wheelie it will tear the transmission...... any body thats knows would u plz post

thanks, Kyle

4everhonda
08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
If you do it correctly it won't hurt it either way, I only use my clutch for first to get moving. Don't ever force it into gear, you should be at the right rpm to shift and it should just glide right in. Just definetly dont force it and you'll be fine. Hope this helps!

redlineranger
08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
^^ alright thanks man i dont force it in to gear like ur sayin.... every time ive had to shift(well i guess which is every time cus the 300's dont have no kinda rpm range), but anyways every time i shift up with out the clutch its always a easy shift.... it dont make a bad noise or anything it sounds perfect like when shiftin with clutch..... anyways thanks but will it hurt it eventually..... cus im gettin to where i can walk wheelies very good and i do them alot so anymore help would be great

4everhonda
08-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Wont hurt a bit. A good example, you can do the same thing in a car if you know what your doing, it's all about shifting at the right rpm so that it goes in on its own pretty much. A buddy of mine has a dodge 3/4 ton and in the owners manual it says to shift without the clutch after first! Same with alot of crotch-rockets. 4wheelers are made to do the same thing.