PDA

View Full Version : a good cam for my 87 mote carlo

Jake250ex
07-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I am looking for a good can for my vortec 350 in my 87 monte carlo ss. The vortec heads wont let you exceed .475 lift, and I don't want to buy a stahl converter. I am looking for a rough idle and a loping sound. The best one I have found so far is from comp cams and the specs are - Dur. 270, lift. 470 and they say its the largest that can be used with the stock converter. Also, the motor is computer controlled and I dont know if this will work. If ya have any suggestion, please help!

chucked
07-04-2005, 06:50 PM
whats a stahl converter?

Jake250ex
07-04-2005, 07:17 PM
To be honest, im not 100% sure but I think I understand the basic fundamentals of it. When you put too large of a cam into an engine with a stock converter, the cam makes it idle rough and raises the RPM range over the stock one and the stahl converter determines how many RPM's it takes for the car to move... so basically whan you put a big cam in a motor with a stock converter, it chugs and takes off rough and you have to slip it into nuetral when you stop to keep it running.

chucked
07-04-2005, 07:51 PM
NOPE, what you mean to say is a higher stall converter. This means that the converter doesnt start moving the transmission until a higher rpms. You have to get a higher stall converter because you will lose bottom end with a larger cam. The stall in the converter in your car is around 1000 rpms. Just like racing with a clutch, it doesnt engage the transmission until higher rpms so you can take advantage of the power of the engine. Like you will see 2000 stall converter or 3000 stall converter which means the converter doesnt start spinning the tranny until 2000 or 300 rpms.

Jake250ex
07-04-2005, 10:11 PM
well then why did you ask me if you alrady knew? :huh

chucked
07-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
well then why did you ask me if you alrady knew? :huh

i was quizzing you, i do that to everyone that thinks they know what they're talking about

07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by chucked
i was quizzing you, i do that to everyone that thinks they know what they're talking about :p

rap686
07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
When you say your running a computer are you using the stock computer feedback Q-jet? if so that cam is to big! Is this a Vortec engine out of a truck or a crate motor?If crate witch one? The 96^ Vortec 350's come with a roller cam as do the crate engines and I don't think you want to get a flat tappet cam do you? To be computer friendly you need to pick a cam with a lobe seperation angle of 112 to 114 for the engine to idle properly.
Feel free to quizz me :)

Rdhanded2
07-05-2005, 08:17 AM
There are tons of forums on the net about Montes. I would jump on one and ask around. Also, get on some truck forums if your engine is out of a truck and not a crate, and see what people are running. Also, ask to see dyno charts if they have them. That way you can see where the power comes on at, and if it is the cam for you. Some cams put out monster power, but not until they are in the upper rpms, and that isn't always what you need or want. For my driving I want one that has a steady increase from the bottom on up. Also, don't try and build an engine, and skimp. If you want a huge cam with tons of lope and rough idle, but don't want a stall converter, then all you are going to have is rough idle, because it isn't going to go anywhere.

red2004 TRX450R
07-05-2005, 09:59 AM
call Comp Cams.
they have techs to help peolple like U!

07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Get rid of it and get the 71 monte SS :)

Jake250ex
07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
chucked - good job dick. If you could read you would see that I said

To be honest, im not 100% sure but I think I understand the basic fundamentals of it.

Jake250ex
07-06-2005, 08:45 PM
back to my original question then, can anyone help me out instead of trying to show off and stir shyt up?

it is a vortec motor, all stock out of a 89 chevy truck

rap686
07-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Not trying to show off but I need to know what you are running for a computer? Carb or TBI? and are you required to keep it?
I can help you out but I need more info!
What you are asking may not be all that simple depending on if you have to keep the stock computer and pass an exhaust emissions test.
A vortec engine has 8 intake bolts and the older engines have 12. an engine out of a 89 will have 12 and is not considered a vortec.
Not trying to dazzle you with BS but honest facts from an owner of a engine machine shop for 20+ years

Scott-300ex
07-06-2005, 10:54 PM
1000rpm stall converter i dought, cuz it would just die when it locks

1800 prolly

it slips untill it hits a certian rpm, then it fully locks

like letting the clutch out, then when the clutch is fully out

the only reason you couldn't run a bigger cam is if it the valves will hit the piston, and im not sure if it would effect your computer unless it needs to put more gas in, then just upgrade the computer

also, with a big camshaft, you need up upgrade valve springs as well, but you'll be fine with a .470, i got a .480 in my car and its good

you should be able to put a bigger cam in your car, just upgrade the computer so it knows to put the gas and air mixture in there, might want a new throttle bodie and sensors too

cam vs. converter, you should be fine, unless it lumps to where it locks, but thats if you have like a 1000rpm stall, but you don't hear of them that low

hell, my car idles at 600-700

red2004 TRX450R
07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
call Comp Cams.
they have techs to help peolple like U!

and its free and they are experts:D

Jake250ex
07-07-2005, 08:56 AM
rap686- your fine, you arent the one I was mad at. Anyway, it has a computer controlled quadrajet on it.

I was told to go with this cam, I would have to unplug the computer wire going to the transmission, get a new distibutor (hei possibly?), and a 4 barrel carb. The carb will bolt up to my stock intake wont it? Sound right?

I dont want to retain all of the computer stuff because the only cam I have found that is compatible with it is a tiny litte rv cam. Also, I am not worried about passing any kind of emissions test. As a matter of fact, I will definitely be taking the cat off :D

red2004 TRX450R
07-07-2005, 01:09 PM
if u want a cam that sounds good you will have to get a least a 3000 stall comverter. and at least 3.73 gears it will sound good but not like a race car.
if u want a race cam then u should get new heads and like a 4000 stall an convert the power Brakes to manual.

as for a cam with just a intake and a carb swap i would look at this package! should work with stock converter

http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=14460&prmenbr=361

cam $99
cam lifter $170
the compleat kit is like $300.00
get the compleat kit

rap686
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Comp Cams Pt#12-238-2
Why? The generic cams sold are good cams but the Xtreme Energy line has quicker opening and closing rates for faster valve action and a exhaust lobe that closes the ex valve earlier to help build cylinder pressure in a stock low compression engine.
While you don't HAVE to I would recommend a set of 981-16 springs with this cam. If its not in the budget I can help you get around this but it will require you to go to a local machine shop for some leftover stock parts.
A Holley carb will require an adaptor, a older non computer Q-jet will bolt right on. Something off of a early to mid 70's 350ci 1/2 ton truck will be jetted real close from the factory.
Get a non computer HEI dist and coil from a salvage yard.
I don't recommend the Edelbrock/ Carter carbs.Iwon't post why but I can send you a PM if you want to know.

Jake250ex
07-10-2005, 11:06 AM
does jegs sell that cam? what are the specs on it? I found one in jegs last night thats says its perfect for comp. controlled engines but it only has 252 duration and .425 lift... isnt duration what makes it lope and idle rough? If so I think it would sound like a stock cam...

Would I still need to change my q -jet if I ran either the cam I just menitoned or the one I told you about? Thanks for all the help!

KH426
07-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
I am looking for a good can for my vortec 350 in my 87 monte carlo ss. The vortec heads wont let you exceed .475 lift, and I don't want to buy a stahl converter. I am looking for a rough idle and a loping sound. The best one I have found so far is from comp cams and the specs are - Dur. 270, lift. 470 and they say its the largest that can be used with the stock converter. Also, the motor is computer controlled and I dont know if this will work. If ya have any suggestion, please help!

Call Summit Racing at 800-231-3030.They can give you alot of spec and tech support. I ran a 355ci. small block with dart heads,elderbrock intake, holy 750 cfm double pump, msd and a bunch of other stuff. I will look for some pics and time slips. The motor in that car dynos at 507 hp.

rap686
07-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Yes Jeg's wiil have the Comp Cam in stock.
Any cam that will work with your computer controlled carb will not be large enough to give you a noticeable idle.
Newer cars this can be done with EFI using a Mass Air system but with an older electronic carb and stock ECU its never going to work right. Mabe with wide lobe sep and a custom burned prom its possible but thats alot of money for somthing that won't be as fast.
The 12-238-2 will require you change the carb and ing to non electronic
RPM range 1300-5600
Dur. 262-270 @.050 218-224 Lift.462-469 Lobe Sep 110
When comparing cam's from unknown or a different company try using @.050 dur numbers as each company has different ways they come up with advertised duration.
I would need all the spects on the cams you refer to to make a judgement.