PDA

View Full Version : Difference in steering dampner and stabalizer?

hondagirlracing
07-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Hello I am in need of something to ease the fatigue I get when racing hare scrambles. I currently have a stock '05 TRX450R.

Hare Scrambles consist of all different variety of terrain through woods and open fields, grounds consisting of rutts, big roots, sandy areas, small jumps, and maybe some mud during this season here in FL . The race is about 90 minutes non-stop and about 7 miles just to give you an idea that it isnt a fast paced race, just very intense and long. After you go over those huge roots in the ground one after another for about 1/2 mile straight, your arms start hurting so I am looking for the best of the best in everything that will work for me!

At the same time I like to just go out w/friends and ride and jump and hill climb, so I need something that will work for me there as well.

I am looking at some of the discussions and some people use both a stabalizer and a dampner....isnt this the same??? What's the difference?

Also, I could use some good shocks for all the way around my bike. I came from a Banshee (with stock shocks), but with that bike I use to get air real nice and land softly. With the 450, it's just all wrong I guess, I hit the jump and the bike wants to take a nose dive forward and tilt sideways as I am going over it, and it is just very jerky....

Tires I know are aso the up most important thing. What should I use and what size ? Holeshots? Shredders? Razzr's 1 or 2's? And what ply? Are ITP rims okay? and what weight on the rims? I want them to be strong but not heavy!

Thanks GUYS!!!!
It is very much appreciated for all your help. I do know some stuff about bikes but not enough to make judgement calls for myself!

Thanks,

sheltielove@bellsouth.net

~HondaGirlRacing~

:D

hondagirlracing
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM
come on guys please help me.....

TBD
07-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Steering dampers and stabilizers are the same thing. Check your budget because that will at least get you close to what you'll end up with. I myself like the GPR stabilizer. Very pricey, over 400.00 dollars. I would suggest staying away from the dual stabilizer set ups. Like I said, determine your budget and that will narrow it down.

hondagirlracing
07-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Thank you for your help...what do you think about WER or do you like GPR better?

TBD
07-04-2005, 01:38 PM
I've never tried a WER. I've used Bilstien stabilizers, PEP and Denton and if money is not a issue I would buy a GPR over the others. One thing you should make sure of before you get a stabilizer is that your front end is set up correctlly. Check the toe setting to make sure it's correct and if you have adjustable arms make sure the castor is correct also. I've seen a lot of people use the stabilizers as band aids because there front end was not set up correctlly. Once you know that the front end is dailed in as best as possible then add a stabilizer to enhance the performance.

400grl
07-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I agree- the GPR ones are really nice.......if you can afford something like a WER or GPR, then go for it. I have a PEP one because that was in my price range - and even that helps alot with the holes and high speed rough stuff - I don't have the bars jerked out of my hands so much anymore and it helps relieve some of the fatigue I would suffer without one.

I also had a Banshee with stock suspension....I MX'd it a bit, and I know what you are talking about. Banshee stock shocks are plush and kind of bouncy.....much softer than the 450's out there today. Way more suited for trail riding than either the 450R or the YFZ.......you need to get your 450R shocks set up as SOFT as they can go......all around.....and do what TBD said - make sure your front end is dialed in correctly. A 450R also jumps different than the 2-strokes........so you will need to experiment with getting your front end up more on the jumps. It sounds like you need to hold your throttle steady all the way up the face of the jumps - don't blip it (that will send your nose forward) unless you are purposely trying to nose down on a landing.......and don't let off..........also, always check your tire pressure before you ride. Having your tires at even a pound difference can send you crooked on take-offs, too......

Hope you get your 450r dialed in to what's comfortable for you!!! Good luck!!

Dave400ex
07-04-2005, 04:13 PM
I think I would buy the new Precision Racing stabilizer over any of the others, but at $485 it is very pricey. The GPR and WER would be the next option, and then of course the Denton styles.

rob-u/21
07-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I've never used a WER or a Precision Racing Stabilizer, but an advantage that the GPR has over all stabilizer is you are able to adjust it while riding while with all the others you have to get off and reach under the front fender to adjust.

ThumPIN_450R
07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
as for the tire question you asked I really like the looks of the holeshot h-d from itp but I run regular maxxis razrs becuase maxxis gives contingency for allot of local race around here if it weren't for that I would have a set of holeshot h-d's on my quad no question about it