PDA

View Full Version : I need carb help!!!

450RGNCC
07-03-2005, 08:44 PM
I decided to do some of my own HRC work a few days ago. I drilled out the transmission breather, I cut the "vacuum" part off of the air inlet, and instead of cutting out that entire piece of the back of the air box lid, I just drilled a 2 1/2 inch hole with a hole saw. I also have a 175 main jet in the carb, and I took out the insert in the end of the pipe. So, I got everything back together and tried to run it. From idle to about half throttle, everthing is fine, but if I open the throttle any farther, it just boggs down and almost dies. So, just to see what would happen, I duct taped the hole in the airbox lid shut, and when I did that it ran just like normal. So, I think that I am getting too much air and not enough fuel, but I think that the HRC kit has a 172 main, and I am running a 175 main. So, do I just need to buy the HRC needle, or do I need to do something else?

07-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Bigger main jet. The needle does 1/4 to about 3/4 throttle. I would move the needle up one notch. Which is moving the clip down and go up on the main jet to a 180 to 190.

450RGNCC
07-04-2005, 10:12 AM
wouldnt moving the clip up and the needle down give it less fuel? I thought that i needed more

cals400ex
07-04-2005, 10:19 AM
the needle concept may be a little confusing for some. moving the needle clip down actually richens the mixture from approximately mid throttle positions. moving the needle clip down raises the needle higher in the carb. i would recommend doing this if you run the stock needle. also, a 185 mainjet comes in the hrc kit.

450RGNCC
07-04-2005, 10:34 AM
ok, well that is a big part of my problem then. I was told a 172 came in the kit, luckily I have a 185, so that will go in today and ill see how it runs. thanks.