PDA

View Full Version : Where did my oil go???

Glamis400ex
07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
If my 400ex has sat for a couple months without being started, does the oil in the tank drain into the bottom of the engine? I went to check the condition of my oil to see whether or not I needed to change it and I had NO mark on the dip stick. I tapped on the tank and it sounded empty. I loosened the oil filter bolts and had a little oil dribble out of the cover so it has oil. Will popping the started a few times cylce the oil into the tank so I can check it? I've pulled all the gas out since I store it for long periods of time so I don't want to go thru the hassle of putting in gas...only to take it out.

Just making sure I'm not going crazy here.

Glamis

2001300exguy
07-03-2005, 06:13 PM
yea u got to let the engine run for a while to cycle the oil

04'400ex'er
07-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I would go ahead and drain the oil in the bike and change it if it has been setting and you arent sure if theres much in there. Its always better to have clean oil anyways. but you could turn the switch off and crank the motor over a little and then check the dipstick but it probably still wouldnt show any. you are more than likely low on oil.

Dunesurfer
07-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey Dude,
I would change the oil and before I turn it over, spray some wd-40 In the plug hole. It will take awhile to cycle the oil up to the rings so it's metal against metal.
I think it's telling you it's time to buy a new 450.
give me a call one of these days.

Scott-300ex
07-03-2005, 11:16 PM
its always metal on metal whenever you start anything, quad, truck, car, whatever, unless you have an oil circulater which you install

run it for like 5 minutes then check it and it'll be good

unless you got someone pullin a prank on ya

Glamis400ex
07-04-2005, 07:52 AM
lol...What's up Tony

I seriously can't remember if I drained the oil and then never filled it back up. :confused: I'll figure it out.

My 416 does me just fine, I would like to get a 450 but I couldn't make it the way I wanted...you know.

Glamis

prepracing
07-04-2005, 10:20 PM
just go ahead and change the oil, thats the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy !

bwamos
07-05-2005, 08:33 AM
If you dont change it first.. at least put her in 5th.. and push it across the driveway by hand.. to pump some of the oil back into the tank to check it.

But yea, new season.. change the oil bro. ;)