PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm question??

Red Beast
07-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I have a 2003 400ex. Well i went ridin yesterday and bout an hour after ridin I started to hear awful sounds first somethin was poppin then a kind of squeeling sound. Well I brought it back home and got to noticing my chain had loosened up and was banging on the swingarm skidplate. Today after work i was fixin to adjust it and I noticed somethin was weird about whole rearend. You could stand on the nerf bars and shift your weight back and forth and you could feel somethin giving with it. Got to looking and on sprocket side of axle the bearing was gone and the axle was shifting inside the swingarm. I pulled the axle out and the entire inner swingarm assembly needs to be replaced. Ive only been able to find the parts on 1 website and was wondering where I can find swingarm replacment parts. So far its looking like im gonna be out 350 for the inner assembly. Sorry for the long post. Thanks alot guys. Chris

gojk
07-03-2005, 05:11 PM
That is called the carrier. You can get them alot cheaper than that.

I bought this one when mine needed replacing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4559886488&category=43972&sspagename=WDVW

Red Beast
07-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Thats alot cheaper than I could find. I looked on ebay but didnt know the proper name for. Just about everything in the swingarm housing had spun and metal shavings were everywhere. If inside the swingarm is smooth should it be reusabel? Thanks alot.

gojk
07-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Very rarely does the inside of the swingarm get damaged enough that is has to be replaced. I would just replace the carrier and go from there.